mtbr member
    Dec 2008

BMC Trailfox, KHS XC or Voodoo Canzo 26

I am going to start with a frame and build a XC/Trail bike for me, 6'1" 245lbs(dropping). I am going to go with a "smaller" bike co.

I was looking for advice about any of the three frames I picked, if anyone has experience with them. They all are 5in full suspension, close to the same weight. Nothing ground breaking about geometery or design(Okay, BMC is different). Just good solid frames. I ride trails in New England. Lots of rocks, roots, hills, mud, rain, snow and sometimes a smooth, flat patch of trail. I like to keep both tires on the ground(mostly), no drops, no hucks. I am 36, those days are gone.

I will listen to any/all info anyone has for me. Thanks--Mike

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Don't know. I just bought a BMC Trailfox last night off Jenson. They're selling the 2.0 frame for $500 so out of impulse I bought the thing. I kind of wish I had read the fine print more as a lot of people are saying the head tube angle is notably aggressive for a 5" bike, making it feel more like an XC race bike. I don't regret it though, sounds like a great bike.

The White Jeff W
    Yep, I was ready to pull the trigger on one of those until I saw the head tube angle I was looking for something with a little more raked out front end than my XC bike and the Trail fox is actually steeper. Sexy looking bike, tho.

No moss...

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Wow, even for the TF that looks unusually steep. I think The Asta is actually still a little steeper. I'm trying to not overthink it and tell myself I'll just adapt to the geo. I'm thinking a short stem and max. travel on my fork could slow things down a little on the drops. Anyone have this bike that can attest to that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Trailfox 02 with the U-Turn 100 - 130mm fork. I keep it at 130 unless a really long climb. I used to have a Kona Kickapoo Delux. I test rode one prior to purchasing and really liked the feel. Much better that the Kona, faster both up and down, more stable in the rough terrain. Steep downs, long climbs, 2-3 ft jumps and drops no problem. I have not felt the need to lockout the shock on the ups either. I've done some entry level freeride with it fine as well. My stem is similar to the one in the picture (maybe a bit longer). Doesn't wheelie as easily (longer chainstay length) however I have no problem lofting the front end. The spec has HT angle of 69 which is pretty common. The steep visual may be an illusion, not sure. I have not ridden the other two so can't compare.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    The 07 Trailfox has a 71 degree HT, but raising the travel I think would bring it down a little.