mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Which BMC Trailfox frame? '07 or '08?

Not sure how I got started on it, but I happened to see the fantastic prices JensonUSA is offering on the BMC Trailfox frame, found a lot of good info here, and now I'm lusting after one. Don't really need a new frame, let alone a FS, but I have been wanting to get out of my XC rut and have always dreamed of owning a FS bike...

Here's the question: do I go with the '07 or the '08 frame? Jenson has the '07 frame for $549+$29 shipping. Based on what I've read, I think that it has a 71-degree headtube angle and I know that it has a RockShox Ario 2.2 shock. Adrenaline has the '08 frame for $599+$49 shipping. BMC's website says it has a 69-degree headtube angle and a DT Swiss XM180 shock. I'll transfer my RockShox Revelation 426 fork (100-130mm U-turn) and other components over to the new frame.

Can anyone confirm the headtube angles? How much of a difference will the 2-degree change make? I hate squirrelly bikes! The '08 seems like the best choice, even if it is $70 more, but I think the black/white '07 looks quite a bit better. Will I notice a big difference between the '07 and '08?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel
    Not sure how I got started on it, but I happened to see the fantastic prices JensonUSA is offering on the BMC Trailfox frame, found a lot of good info here, and now I'm lusting after one. Don't really need a new frame, let alone a FS, but I have been wanting to get out of my XC rut and have always dreamed of owning a FS bike...

Here's the question: do I go with the '07 or the '08 frame? Jenson has the '07 frame for $549+$29 shipping. Based on what I've read, I think that it has a 71-degree headtube angle and I know that it has a RockShox Ario 2.2 shock. Adrenaline has the '08 frame for $599+$49 shipping. BMC's website says it has a 69-degree headtube angle and a DT Swiss XM180 shock. I'll transfer my RockShox Revelation 426 fork (100-130mm U-turn) and other components over to the new frame.

Can anyone confirm the headtube angles? How much of a difference will the 2-degree change make? I hate squirrelly bikes! The '08 seems like the best choice, even if it is $70 more, but I think the black/white '07 looks quite a bit better. Will I notice a big difference between the '07 and '08?
    I have the same questions. I emailed jenson, and they have no information.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Okay, I can now sort of confirm the head angle of the 07, I used some pictures of a complete bike, and I measured the angles. Sort of ghetto, but it definitely is 71 or greater.

71* is xc angles... I think I'm going to wait to find a bike with a better set up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I e-mailed Jenson and never heard anything back from them. Seems like BMC keeps making the headtube angle more and more slack: 71-degrees in '07, 69-degrees in '08, and it looks like it'll be 68-degrees for '09. I've done some more research and it seems like 68-69 degrees is pretty common for trail bikes. The Intense 6.6 is 68.5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR is 68.5, Trek Fuel EX is 69, Santa Cruz Blur LT is 69, Giant Trance is 69.5, Giant Reign is 68. Seems like the '08 Trailfox is right in the mix with a 69-degree HTA...

Dirt Deviant
    I'd get the 2008. Better shock AND HA.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah, I hear the DT Swiss shock is much better than the Ario though it's pretty difficult to find any info/reviews on it...