Thread: BMC Trailfox

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

BMC Trailfox

Hey guys,

Thought i'd post here because this is a type of All Mountain ride, though probably more trailbike-ish.

Just interested to see if anyone out there has experience with the Trailfox bikes, since i ordered one on friday and am expecting it tomorrow or wednesday.

I've got the Trailfox 02 which is the all-alloy frame, will build it up with revelations, X9, syncros rims, DT hubs, race face finishing gear, though it will take a a while and i havent commited to any particular spec choices.

I stand around 5'9 and have ordered the 17inch frame (22.3 inch top tube), anyone got suggestions on stem and seatpost recommendations or other spec ideas?

I'll post some pics once i get my hands on it, should be a good looking frame.

Cheers
    Wil

ay Diablo!
    I'm interested in your thoughts of the bike after you get it all built up. My wife bought me a bike mag a month ago (can't remember which one) and they had a small right up on the bmc and it peaked my interest. If I remember right it said it had 71 degree headtube angle, 74 degree seat tube angle. Which is the same as my marin, also has a similar rear suspension. mmm. Seems like it will be sweet ride, especial with your components.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    Hey guys,

Thought i'd post here because this is a type of All Mountain ride, though probably more trailbike-ish.

Just interested to see if anyone out there has experience with the Trailfox bikes, since i ordered one on friday and am expecting it tomorrow or wednesday.

I've got the Trailfox 02 which is the all-alloy frame, will build it up with revelations, X9, syncros rims, DT hubs, race face finishing gear, though it will take a a while and i havent commited to any particular spec choices.

I stand around 5'9 and have ordered the 17inch frame (22.3 inch top tube), anyone got suggestions on stem and seatpost recommendations or other spec ideas?

I'll post some pics once i get my hands on it, should be a good looking frame.

Cheers
    Wil
    What's the difference between a trailbike and an ALL MOUNTAIN rig?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Jerk Chicken, its mainly in the geometery of the bikes, as stated above the HA and SA are rather steep on the BMC for a 5inch dually, and the bike will be used from 24hour racing through to bigger mountain riding, but is not a contender with say a Nomad or Reign.

I havent define these categories, its just what i've picked up over the years from various magazine opinions along with these forums too based on travel and component setup.

Didnt want a hucking bike or a mini-downhill bike but wanted something with enough suspension to be comfortable and make technical riding easier than on my rigid singlespeed, something along the lines of the Yeti 575, and found the BMC at a competitive price. Its quite a different bike and i like the style of the rest of the BMC range so thought id give it a shot.

I'm thinking 80mm stem (maybe 90, will see when i build it up) with a 25mm setback post, and the u-turn revelation so i can play around with the geometery, maybe 2.3inch Continentals.
    hmmm, decisions decisions!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ok, well frame arrived this arvo and i can say that i'm very impressed!

The frame is a really nice piece of work, particularly the machined links and seatube/top tube skeleton assembly.

Paint looks beautiful, dont know how thick it is but will have to see in the real world how durable it is.

Frame is light (for me) and downtube although oversized, is thin, definately can see the fourstroke mantra coming out with this bike.

Frame included FSA semi-integrated headset which was a nice suprise, as well as the quick release lever for the seatpost, which i think looks trick.

I've been told to give the Ario shock a going over before i ride it, no probs since its pretty easy to do.

Bearings are Enduros, nice touch.

Cable routing is good, and the rear swingarm looks pretty reinforced and has a massive amount of room (2.5inch tyres?).

Nice conventional Der hanger, dropouts are chunky.

Overall, very impressed, especially at the price i got it for.

I really cant wait to put it together, so i'll do my best to get it done quickly and post build picks, it looks like a fast, comfortable bike- exactly what im after.

Let me know if you have any queries.
    Cheers,
    Wil
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What is that black thing behind the top of the seat tube?

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    What is that black thing behind the top of the seat tube?
    Its the quick release seat clamp

A couple of friends of mine have these one a 02, same as above and one a 01 (Scandium frame & carbon rear) and are very impressed. They are mainly used for trail riding and Enduros etc
    Although the 01 has now been converted to a 4" travel by changing the linkages etc (FourFox or Trailstroke ) the guy is a bike shop owner and just likes that way as he is more 'racer' orientated and just because he can.

Little Willy, I think you will be very pleased with your choice and will be a great ride for what you appear to want it for, although of course I prefer my Ibis Mojo

Look forward to see the build
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi there,

Been building this one up for a while now, usually happens as a student- everything is a slow process.
    Didn't want to take any shortcuts though that i'd regret down the track, so the spec is pretty nice without being uber expensive.

Bought the frame at the start of our winter (june in australia) followed by the wheels, fork then brakes and gears.

Special highlights go to the white fizik saddle and the sunline lock on grips, pretty happy i managed to get those. And yes, they will get dirty very quickly.

I built the wheels myself with some good coaching, but quite chuffed i managed to do it myself. Syncros white rims, 340 hubs and supercomp spokes.

Don't know exact weight, i reckon its below 30 pounds, the tyres (2.3 UST Conti Gravitys) and the wheels could be lighter, but i wanted good strength and grip. aside from that its all pretty light stuff.

I did weigh the frame though, came out at 2.9kg or 6.4 pounds, could be lighter but should be reliable.

'bout to go for the maiden voyage this arvo, from initial pavement rides it seems very stiff under pedalling, feels plush and the geo looks alright with the 120mm fox.

I'll see how the ario goes, not super refined in the rebound, but will have to reserve my judgement. Otherwise, i'll whack on an RP23, maybe with the bigger volume can, though there isnt much need for my 70kg weight and the low 2.4:1 leverage ratio.

Any questions, let me know. I will post a later ride report once i've had some time on it.
    Cheers!
    Oh, and it's been called 'jacko' after michael jackson 'cos its black and white...lame...
    Wil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brackish
    Very nice looking build!

tch
    mtbr member
    +1 on the sweet bike comment. I run the Conti Gravity tires as well and love them in just about any condition. What is the total rear-end travel on that bike? On first glance it looks like a similar set-up to the new Trance/Reign suspension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The local shop started carrying BMC and a guy from our club took one out on a ride. He's a strong rider who can make anything work, but he had a lot of nice things to say about the bike. It looked exactly like the one in your pic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey Little Willy, I see you are running a XT front derail... Have you had problems with the cage hitting the chain stay as it runs through it's travel? I had an 06 Fourstroke Trail and I had that problem with it. It hit the chain stay on the first ride and scuffed the stay and bent the derailuer. I don't have the frame any longer, I had some problems with the bearings in the swing arm and eventually the frame was replaced with an 07 Trailfox like yours. It is now sold to a buddy and I have replaced it with a 2007 Titus Moto Lite. Just curious if you had this problem with the derailuer. Hope you enjoy the bike!

Mcgruff

boomer
    Man, that bike is hot! Congrats and I'm dyin' to know how she rides; fill us in with lots of details!
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ok, initial ride report: warning- only limited impressions thus far.

-Im loving the dual suspension ride since my MTB for the last 18 months is a rigid SS, so the comfort is welcome, i had to keep stopping myself from standing up on some sections along the trail, now i can just sit down and plow through!

-The virtual pivot system works. So plush but pedals really well, even out of the saddle. The only difference between riding locked out and unlocked is that the shock rides in a higher position in the locked setting which feels more efficient for my leg position.
    The rear triangle tends to a a rearward path that keeps the bike moving forward on square-edged rocks, the suspension never feels like it gets 'hung up'.

-Ario feels better than i thought, there is a little more top out than the fox on the front, not really a problem, you just notice it coming off a jump as the shock extends.
    I havent taken the bike off any big obstacles so i will reserve judgement, but i've only got 70% of travel out of the shock, which is similiar to other ride reports on the BMC's with the ario rear shock, may see if theres some tweaking i can do.

-Fox- Awesome, so plush, so stiff. Same as the shock though, not hitting full travel but will see how it beds in. May have to take out some oil like my previous vanilla to reduce the progressiveness

-New Sram is much better than the previous stuff, ergonomics are improved, there is less stretch to the big paddle, the zero-loss is really nice. I've noticed on my commuter bike with the previous X9 the difference in performance, kind of irritating!

-Shimano brakes are beautiful, will need more bedding in but feel is great

-Geometery is good, felt weird at first with the tall handlebar but got used to it by the end of the ride, did drop the stem down but started feeling twitchy.

-Gear cables may need to be swapped to full outer, as there is a bit of ghost shifting under rear suspension action.

Very very happy with this one, will have to give it a good thrashing to iron out any bugs, the only thing that i see changing at all is possibly the rear shock if i cant make it more linear, but otherwise the bike rides really well.

Tch: The rear travel is 120mm, perfect match with the F120 fox, was going to get a u-turn revelation or the 140mm talas, but i dont tend to play around with travel adjustments and the white fox matches the bike perfectly!

McGruff: havent had any issues with the front mech, i can see how that would happen, but its not an issue with mine.

Let me know if there are any other queries

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Really nice build. Great monochromatic color scheme. I almost bought a BMC myself but the shortish and high top tube didn't really fit me as well as I would have liked. The quality of the frame impressed me, though. How old is your old X9 group? Just curious what you're comparing it to. As for the Talas, I find the travel adjustment useful. I turn it one way to go uphill and the other to go down. You definitely know you're in long travel mode when you climb steep hills. At least on my bike, the front end gets a bit too light.