Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMC Trailfox 02

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

BMC Trailfox 02

Hi there,

Been building this one up for a while now, usually happens as a student- everything is a slow process.
    Didn't want to take any shortcuts though that i'd regret down the track, so the spec is pretty nice without being uber expensive.

Bought the frame at the start of our winter (june in australia) followed by the wheels, fork then brakes and gears.

Special highlights go to the white fizik saddle and the sunline lock on grips, pretty happy i managed to get those. And yes, they will get dirty very quickly.

I built the wheels myself with some good coaching, but quite chuffed i managed to do it myself. Syncros white rims, 340 hubs and supercomp spokes.

Don't know exact weight, i reckon its below 30 pounds, the tyres (2.3 UST Conti Gravitys) and the wheels could be lighter, but i wanted good strength and grip. aside from that its all pretty light stuff.

I did weigh the frame though, came out at 2.9kg or 6.4 pounds, could be lighter but should be reliable.

'bout to go for the maiden voyage this arvo, from initial pavement rides it seems very stiff under pedalling, feels plush and the geo looks alright with the 120mm fox.

I'll see how the ario goes, not super refined in the rebound, but will have to reserve my judgement. Otherwise, i'll whack on an RP23, maybe with the bigger volume can, though there isnt much need for my 70kg weight and the low 2.4:1 leverage ratio.

Any questions, let me know. I will post a later ride report once i've had some time on it.
    Cheers!
    Wil
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Nice build....I have thought about doing it but I have no mechanical aptitude to do the wheels

mtbr member
    Finally another BMC Rider.

Just finished building a 4stroke.

will post some pics.

cannot ride yet due to torn ligaments in knee and waiting for surgury.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ok, initial ride report: warning- only limited impressions thus far.

-Im loving the dual suspension ride since my MTB for the last 18 months is a rigid SS, so the comfort is welcome, i had to keep stopping myself from standing up on some sections along the trail, now i can just sit down and plow through!

-The virtual pivot system works. So plush but pedals really well, even out of the saddle. The only difference between riding locked out and unlocked is that the shock rides in a higher position in the locked setting which feels more efficient for my leg position.
    The rear triangle tends to a a rearward path that keeps the bike moving forward on square-edged rocks, the suspension never feels like it gets 'hung up'.

-Ario feels better than i thought, there is a little more top out than the fox on the front, not really a problem, you just notice it coming off a jump as the shock extends.
    I havent taken the bike off any big obstacles so i will reserve judgement, but i've only got 70% of travel out of the shock, which is similiar to other ride reports on the BMC's with the ario rear shock, may see if theres some tweaking i can do.

-Fox- Awesome, so plush, so stiff. Same as the shock though, not hitting full travel but will see how it beds in. May have to take out some oil like my previous vanilla to reduce the progressiveness

-New Sram is much better than the previous stuff, ergonomics are improved, there is less stretch to the big paddle, the zero-loss is really nice. I've noticed on my commuter bike with the previous X9 the difference in performance, kind of irritating!

-Shimano brakes are beautiful, will need more bedding in but feel is great

-Geometery is good, felt weird at first with the tall handlebar but got used to it by the end of the ride, did drop the stem down but started feeling twitchy.

-Gear cables may need to be swapped to full outer, as there is a bit of ghost shifting under rear suspension action.

Very very happy with this one, will have to give it a good thrashing to iron out any bugs, the only thing that i see changing at all is possibly the rear shock if i cant make it more linear, but otherwise the bike rides really well.

Let me know if there are any other queries

A Real Winner.
    How tall are you, and what frame size did you get? Sweet bike btw.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I stand around 5'9" - 175cmish and ride the Small 17.5 inch frame.

With the 90mm stem and setback seatpost, the stretch still feels XC but has a more upright feeling at the handlebars and i feel like i could ride this bike all day no probs.

BTW, the seatpost is not set to height in the pictures, it's just under the height of the bars at the correct length.

Been riding a bit more lately and im starting to get more out of it, still only getting 70% of the travel out of the ARIO, so i guess thats the next place to upgrade on this bike, hopefully i can get a low-compression tuned Float R, don't really need the extra comp adjustments of the RP23.

The aim of this ride is for trail riding and endurance racing, with a bit of XC racing thrown in.
    If i wanted more of an 'all mountain' feel to it i would of put on the Talas 140 on to it, a shorter stem and a further setback post.

Otherwise, it gets better with each ride, love the lower center of gravity round the corners compared to the rigid, as the sag allows the bike to really track the terrain nicely.
    Cheers,
    Wil

mtbr member
    Nice looking build there Wil.

Here is my just-finished Trailfox build:

* Frame Size & Color: BMC Trailfox 02 21"- Goldorange/Jet Black
    * Fork: Pike 454 20mmTA (extra firm coil, i'm 225#)
    * Brakes: Avid BB-7 8" rotors
    * Cranks: FSA Carbon
    * Front Derailleur: X-9
    * Rear Derailleur: X-9
    * Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy SL
    * Stem: Thomson elite
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite Carbon
    * Seatpost: Crank Bros. Joplin
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    * Bottom Bracket: FSA Carbon
    * Cassette: X-9
    * Headset: Integrated
    * Grips: ODI
    * Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove DTC
    * Front Rim: DT Swiss EX 5.1D
    * Front Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 340 20mm
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Blue Groove DTC
    * Rear Rim: DT Swiss EX 5.1D
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: DT Swiss 340
    * Weight: 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How do you get the cable ties down tight enough on your brake lines? I ended up using yellow electrical tape on my commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by v22osprey
    How do you get the cable ties down tight enough on your brake lines? I ended up using yellow electrical tape on my commuter.

My LBS used zip-ties at the fork crown to support the cable tie to the front brake. The frame has integral cable tie locations for the routing to the rear brake.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I tried doing that on my fork but I tried to zip it to the leg, so I gave up and taped it front and back. Where do you order zip ties? Do they come in red?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's my Trailfox 02 (5")

Build:

Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: RS Pike
    Shifters: X9 Twist
    FD: XT
    RD: X9
    Cranks: Race Face Deus XC
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Candy C
    FW: Ringle Abbas/Sun SOS
    RW: DTSwiss/Mavic 321
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.35F/2.1R
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7
    Seat/Post: KORE Enduro/KORE Race
    HS: FSA
    Stem/Bars: TruVativ Team
    Weight: 29 lbs

Good to see more people getting turned on to BMC. Maybe we'll get our own forum one of these days instead of being stuck in the "Other".

mtbr member
    You can get mutliple colors of zip-ties at Home Depot.

mtbr member
    Great bikes! Does anyone know if there will be any dealers in the UK soon, I see they have finally started to review them in the UK mags so I thought they may be up to something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sweet looking bmc's!

I'm soon to order one of these frames and I'm having trouble making a decsion on a framesize, i'm 6'3 currently riding a 21" hardtail but i feel like i'm riding a horse and i only have between 3" to 4" of standover heigh. So i'd like to get some opinions on if i should go with the 19" or 21"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll have to take pics of my bike one of these days.

I'm in the process of saving for some new wheels as mine are a bit heavy. Also a new rear cassette and cranks would be nice to shave a little more weight down.

Glad to see some more BMC riders out there though.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'-4" with a 35" inseam, and I ride a 21"... I tried a 19", but I couldn't get enough seat-post insertion with my speedball to acheive the proper leg extension. It does feel a little large when downhilling, but it works really nice pedaling up-hill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

About the long Chainstays??????

How do the long CS affect the handling????
    I usually prefer short wheelbase bikes, but don't know how this BMC with its steep head angle will handle tight singletrack.
    In tight singletrack does it feel more like you are riding on a horse, or like running????
    How does it compare to other bikes you have ridden?
    I currently own an 05 Giant Trance, 4" travel, and an 05 Giant Reign 6" travel. Reign is plush plush, with slower handling. Trance is very compliant and its handling almost XC fast. Wish for a bike with handling similar to my Trance, A bit plusher than the Trance, and a Phenomenal "active suspension" climber. Also want to try a DWLINk type suspension.
    Will the TrailFox fit that Bill???
    Thanks for any input
    Pedro

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The trailfox is a longer travel XC bike rather than an all-mountain bike, i would say its closer to the trance than the reign.

The steep head angle gives it very quick handling and the 'long' chainstays are really not noticeable, the bike is quite flickable.

I've spent quite a while adjusting my bike - changing rear shock to a fox float (best upgrade ever), modifying the f120 to get all the travel out of it, changing to a thomson inline post and shortening up the stem.

The suspension is awesome, very very plush but mostly non-reactive to pedalling. The float rear shock i put on came standard with medium propedal, but i changed it to the low setting and now the action is much better. Being a multi link design, it doesnt really need propedal. The bike gives great traction and is great on square edged bumps.

The bike has quite an upright riding position that takes a while to get used to, particularly coming from a short travel hardtail.
    I think if your a beginner rider, this wont really suit you, its too quick in its handling.
    And if your after a lazier all mountain ride, look elsewhere.
    Bear in mind im running a 120mm fork and some people are likely to use a 140mm fork too, so that will affect the handling.

I really like this bike, it does take a while to get used to and you need to spend the time (and money!) adjusting it to your preferences, thought this is normally the case with any frame builds.

wil

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    The trailfox is a longer travel XC bike rather than an all-mountain bike, i would say its closer to the trance than the reign.

The steep head angle gives it very quick handling and the 'long' chainstays are really not noticeable, the bike is quite flickable.

I've spent quite a while adjusting my bike - changing rear shock to a fox float (best upgrade ever), modifying the f120 to get all the travel out of it, changing to a thomson inline post and shortening up the stem.

The suspension is awesome, very very plush but mostly non-reactive to pedalling. The float rear shock i put on came standard with medium propedal, but i changed it to the low setting and now the action is much better. Being a multi link design, it doesnt really need propedal. The bike gives great traction and is great on square edged bumps.

The bike has quite an upright riding position that takes a while to get used to, particularly coming from a short travel hardtail.
    I think if your a beginner rider, this wont really suit you, its too quick in its handling.
    And if your after a lazier all mountain ride, look elsewhere.
    Bear in mind im running a 120mm fork and some people are likely to use a 140mm fork too, so that will affect the handling.

I really like this bike, it does take a while to get used to and you need to spend the time (and money!) adjusting it to your preferences, thought this is normally the case with any frame builds.

wil
    I usually select my sharper angled Trance over my Reign. I have fitted an old coil vanilla shock on the Trance which makes the rear nice and smooth.

I raced the 2008 season on an Anthem, which is now dismantled and ready to go on sale at my Giant Dealer. The Anthem is good, while you are strong. When I got a bit tired, I felt it did not help me much. Perfect weapon for a rolling hills race course. On a technical climb intensive course, the suspension did not help. I guess this was due to the short travel and perhaps chain induced suspension lockup for smooth climbing efficiency.

I love frames with super super smooth suspension but with sharp angles. I fancy going up technical climbs, pushing really hard on the pedals, and feeling the suspension smoothing out all nooks and crannies.

Nowadays smooth, long suspension and sharp angles are hard to come by. Most frames with more than 4" travel have relaxed angles. I see BMC for 08 and 09 have jumped on that trend. In a future date I can see myself having a frame custom made to my odd personal geometrical preferences. But for now, it seems the BMC may be my cup of tea.

From your excellent description, sounds like the trailfox may be perfect for me. Like you, I also plan to run as short a travel fork as I can possibly get away with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sounds like it could be the bike for you.
    And you are right, most bikes over 4 inches of travel tend to run slacker angles and turn into more of a trailbike.

A good comparison is the Fuel EX which my bike store sells.
    It is considerably slacker in it's head angle and runs quite a long wheelbase, though otherwise it has the same travel as the trailfox.
    In technical singletrack and tight switchbacks, the trailfox just has the edge and tends to steer just that bit quicker, where the fuel has to really be thrown into the corners to work well.

Stem positioning is vital on this bike though, i have found that if you run the handlebar a little higher than the saddle, the front wheel has a tendency to drift - not lose control, but it just drifts more than i would like.
    Keeping the stem low means you keep the weight over the front and the bike grips like hell.
    Kinda funny the difference, as i only lowered the handlebar around 1.5 inches in total.

As for the fork, i don't think i would run a 100mm stroke on the BMC, the 120mm feels perfect and matches the rear travel, neither ever feels like its working harder than the other.
    I dont feel any feedback with the linkage, as the rear axle travels a mostly vertical path.

If you're after plush and active, this bike will deliver. Though if you do intend to race, perhaps having an rp23 (mine is just a float R) would be useful, so you can lock out the susp. on the flats and firetrails.

If you do go with the trailfox, i'd love to hear your feedback, and the same goes with anyone else with this bike. Im still experimenting with stem setup and would like to see what others are doing to get the most out of this bike.

Oh, i just remembered. I had an XT front derailleur (2008) though the bottom of the cage hit the rear triangle on full compression.
    I spoke to the distributor and they setup a few bikes with the same front der. and didnt have issues, but our bike store couldnt see how that was possible.
    I went with a sram x-gen that has a shorter der. cage, and it clears the rear triangle.

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Already ordered a 17" T-fox 1 from Jenson

I ordered on impulse, without too much info about it. Through magazines, I have been aware of the brand from a while back, thought the bikes looked ok, and noticed they used a DW-Link type rear suspension design.

I have been riding Giant's Maestro design since its introduction in 2005, and do attest that dual linkages work, very well. So much so, that I am using old fox vanilla coil shocks on my Reign and TRance and they still pedal reasonably well; given that pedaling cadence is smooth and round.

I love trying stuff and am eager to try the "DW-Link type" design found on the trailfox. I have read many reviews that herald the climbing prowess of this type of design, on bikes such as the Ibis Mojo, and Iron Horses'. Some claim it climbs as good or better than FSR-Horst link bikes, which I previously owned. My old FSR established the reference by which I judge all my bikes in granny technical climbs. When things get really vertical and rough, the trance feels a bit more compliant than the reign, may be due to better climbing geometry. However, for me, the trance is still just a notch below the FSR in this respect, superior in all other circumstances.

I am eager to see how the AVP matches these other bikes in the granny technical climb.

The 2005 Trance is an excellent bike, only limited by its podginess for a 4.2" travel bike. At 7 lbs for a small frame it motivates me to look for lighter alternatives, I already mentioned I owned for over a year Giant's lighter weight alternative: the Anthem, but found its limited travel, and flexiness turned me off. I feel the trailfox will fit me better than the new 2009 4" Anthem, want the extra cushion,120mm.

The 22.5" top tube length should be perfect. The trance has 22", feel a bit tight, hence I have my seat all the way back. Head Angle and Seat Tube Angle, are XC, which I am looking for. I am a bit concerned about the chain stay length and wheelbase. My TRance is barely 42" long (wheelbase), The TrailFox will be a bit longer, but you mentioned, nonetheless it is flickable. My Reign's wheel base may be comparable to the TRail fox. It feels a bit slow for my tastes, but that may be due more to the relaxed head and seat tube angles, than to the longer wheelbase.

I plan to build very light. I will probably match it to a RockShock Revelation Air, and may get away with 23.5 - 24 lbs. Will post when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Little Willy,

What size stem did you switch to?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I started with the 90mm Deus stem pictured, currently trying a 75mm stem with the angle down and might see if i can try shorter just for fun.
    With the 90mm, my arms were almost locked out.

Though i have just got an inline thomson so i may try an 80 or the 90 again to see how that goes.

Its kinda hard trying to decide on whats best, because i tend to adapt to whatever is on and even then i mostly blame my lack of riding skills for any handling shortcomings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anyone with a Trailfox with a newer 09 revelation air on it?

Been seeing lots of favorable reviews and was looking for first hand knowledge about this fork on this bike.

mtbr member
    I just ordered my Trailfox from Jenson, going from a 2008 Giant XTC Hardtail 18" to the 2007 Trailfox 02 17", can't wait! Unfortunately I won't be able to build it until next next week. I've never built a bike from ground up, but I've pretty much changed almost everything on my current hardtail, besides the derailleurs and cabling, so I will probably have fun doing that hopefully its not too difficult.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You have to pay attention to seatpost measurement, front derailleur type and clamp size, Bottom brackect width, discbrakes mounts, just about everything else is standard for all bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I need some help on the frame size as I am about to order a trailfox 02 frame. 17 or 19 inch?. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and getting a split when asking locally. Can those with some trail time on the BMC tell me what works? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I am 5'10" with around the same inseam and got a 17" Trailfox this past week. I came from riding a 2008 Giant XTC 18" frame with a 23.4" top tube, and 31.4" stand over. The Trailfox top tube is 22.4". I had stand over clearance on my prior frame, and the stand over on the Trailfox is enough for me. The only difference I notice is the shorter top tube, but I actually prefer the more upright riding position compared to my previous frame.

Maybe someone with a 19" frame can input their opinion if they are around the same height and inseam?

This frame is awesome, it climbs like a beast. Also I found out what full-suspension is all about! I'm happy. I'll try to post some pics when I get my digicam back.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Neu5p3ed
    I am 5'10" with around the same inseam and got a 17" Trailfox this past week. I came from riding a 2008 Giant XTC 18" frame with a 23.4" top tube, and 31.4" stand over. The Trailfox top tube is 22.4". I had stand over clearance on my prior frame, and the stand over on the Trailfox is enough for me. The only difference I notice is the shorter top tube, but I actually prefer the more upright riding position compared to my previous frame.

Maybe someone with a 19" frame can input their opinion if they are around the same height and inseam?

This frame is awesome, it climbs like a beast. Also I found out what full-suspension is all about! I'm happy. I'll try to post some pics when I get my digicam back.
    Alright! I'm eagerly awaiting mine, but it will take a while to build up. I'm a broke college student Not sure what you're ideal terrain is, but what do you think of the headtube angle? I'm looking to make it more AM oriented. You think a 140mm fork would slacken it out a bit? I'll let you know how the 19" feels, whenever that may be.

mtbr member
    The headtube angle I don't really notice too much of a difference from my prior frame that had a 70.5deg, but I do prefer the quick handling. I'm currently running a 115mm Reba U-turn, and yes a 140mm should definitely slackin out that the 71deg head angle, but how much? I do not know. But they say this is just a long travel XC bike, but the new model Trailfox has a much more slacker headtube angle aimed at more of the AM type of riding, so i'm not sure if you will accomplish exactly the AM type of ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the response Neu5p3ed. After much consideration I have order the 19". I compared measurements from the 08 catalog(on line) with my Jamis and found it smack in between the 17 and 19 and the jamis is a little small for me. The standover may be a risk though. In the BMC catalog in the top RH side there is a scale of height to frame size. They indicate that about 5'9" is the transition between 17 and 19 inch frames. Of course this does not consider individual preferences and proportions

As for the headtube angle, this is what turned me on to this bike- a 5" XC bike. Fast Single track appears what this bike is made for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am 5"8 (172.5cm) and I have taken BMC TF02 (09model) with 19" out for a test ride the other day and it was more comfortable than my old avanti montara hardtail (or something). I haven't tried the 17" one, but the 19" feels great. When I first jumped on it, I thought i was leaning too far forward, but when climbing undulating bumpy hills, I could just sit there and peddle. It felt very comfortable and very very light. On the hard climbing bumpy hill, i felt like i keep on pulling the bike backwards or trying to lift up the front wheel, I don't know why, probably it's such a light bike compare to my old one. If anyone knows about this problem, let me know.

I was going to fiance this bike, but i want those shocks that used in the Giant Trance X1 because it has a better fock remote lockout and better shock, but don't know if it is worth it or not. If I am going to go for that option it would cost $5000, without the upgrade shock, it would be $4650, man, that's a lot of money for a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    That's interesting you find the 19inch more comfortable, as im about 5'9 and find anything over 18inch too big.

As for the front wheel lifting when climbing, its to do with the handlebar position.
    -If the handlebar is too high, you can't get enough weight over the front wheel and it begins to 'wander' on the climbs as the steering becomes too light.

The bike you rode may have had the stem angle too high or up too many spacers.

If not, then if you were to try the 17inch size, you will find that to get the same seat height as what you would ride on the 19inch, your seat will be at a higher point than the handlebar.
    This would put more weight on the front wheel and would help climbing and steering in tight singletrack.

That bike also sounds like a lot of cash! Are you sure its not the TF01 you're being quoted for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi there,

I haven't tried the small size (17") yet and maybe I should it and compare it with the 19" size. The price been quoted for TF02 is $4675AUS and Tf01 is $6950AUS. I want the same fork used in the Giant Trance X1, which is going to boost up to $5000 for TF02, so it is a lot of money.

At this stage, I am not too sure what size i should be using and I am 5"8 (172.5cm) and I want to be sure before i purchase it or at least try the both sizes. Eventhough I found it comfortable when riding, I found it that I was leaning forward enough to maintain the centre of gravity. So when I was turning the corners which is find, but I guess i should try the 17" as well and maybe each bike has a different geometry. My friend's road bike and time trial bike is different from his road bike or the training bike, so I don't know.

Any suggestion please free feel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

This is why.....

In order to fit a longer travel fork, 120mm+, with such steep head angle, BMC had to make a tall front end. If you plan to do really steep hills you may need a downsloping stem, opt for a shorter travel fork or adjustable fork 100 to 120.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guy,

Now it's all getting so complicated with all the consideration taking into account not just the look, and the brand (oh, and dually that works).

ANyone got a BMC TF02 at moment???

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    In order to fit a longer travel fork, 120mm+, with such steep head angle, BMC had to make a tall front end. If you plan to do really steep hills you may need a downsloping stem, opt for a shorter travel fork or adjustable fork 100 to 120.
    I think he's talking about the 09 Frame which has a much more relaxed head angle, around 68 or 69. As for the 07 model with the steep HA, there's no way I would want to ride a steep hill with a fork set at 100mm!! That would be crazy twitchy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh you meant AU dollars, im just used to everyone using US currency here.

In that case, the price is quite good. You are getting a much nicer frame than the giant, better bearings and the links are top quality too.

Im in Melbourne - where abouts are you?

I assume that the 08 and 09 will ride differently to my 07 due to the differences in head tube angles between each year model, so even if i could lend you my 17" frame to try out, i imagine it would feel quite different.

FWIW, i just settled on using a 90mm stem with a 6 degree drop mounted directly above the headset.
    My seat sits a little higher than the handlebar, and the bike now feels ideal - just like the XC bike that it is.

Given your height, i would put you on the 17inch frame. I just think the 19inch would be too big for me and im about 175cm tall.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Guys, I can't keep up with your technical talk there???

I looked at the BMC bike size chart and my height is within the 19" or the medium range. If I go for the 17" or the small, then I am way too tall for it. I am 5"8 and I know I am short, but not a migget.

So, I guess 19" is way to go then.

Any suggestions???

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    I'm 6' 1 and I got the 19" as I've been riding a 19" hardtail for years. We have a different year model so I'm not sure how different they are. The range manufacturers give is usually for preference. 19" is a little on the small side for me because I like a more maneuverable bike. It's also easier to adjust a smaller bike to fit your preference through stem choice, handlebars, spacers, etc. than if it were too large. I'd generally assume a 17" frame is perfect for somebody who's 5' 8. hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guys,

I should try a 17" bike as well, and may be the guy at the shop was just trying to get me to purchase it.

I'll see what I can find.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sorry to jump in on the end of a post but I am looking into purchasing a BMC frame. My question is in regards to peddle bob and climbing. Are you impressed with it? I am also looking at a Pivot Mach 4 but the sticker price on the frame has me taken back. I know there are some design differences but cash saved is cash saved. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi there,

I was very impressed with the whole peddling, very comfortable on the bumpy track. Very impressed with the uphill climb, didn't bother to lock rear shock was able to sit on the saddle and gently peddle up the road. The problem is, when ridding over the big logs I like to get a bit of air time but the rear end tends to sit on the ground very well, I guess that's the tendency of the rear shock keeps the wheel on the ground.

I have tried the Giant Trance X1 (well, similar) and peddle very well. This bike feels a bit weird when I first tried, but takes a vew minutes to get use to it.

If i was you, get the BMC, but if money is the concern, get the giant. Also, if you want to look into long term relationship with your bike, get BMC where you can keep the frame for much longer and upgrade parts if necessary. Whereas giant is good for people to like to upgrade their bikes every so often. Anyway, that's me talking I still dont know if I am going to get a bike or not.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think I might get one of these frames from Jenson. Has anyone heard any serious weaknesses with the frame? Or anything bad about the company itself?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for your opinion. I have the components that I want to put on the bike because my last frame was a project. I am going to go with this frame because of cash and you can get a good deal on the 07 frame right now at Jenson. I will post pictures once it is all together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonism
    I think I might get one of these frames from Jenson. Has anyone heard any serious weaknesses with the frame? Or anything bad about the company itself?
    I have the frame that Jenson has on sale (07' BMC Trailfox), and have had it for almost 2 months. The frame is excellent as far as the build goes. I'm not a frame expert, but the only complaint that I do have is the paint as it seems to scratch easily, but no biggie.

BMC has been excellent in responding to my questions in regards to chain length, recommended sag for rear, and torque specs for the pivot bearings.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have you been pleased with the Rock Shox Ario? I just purchased this frame from Jenson as well and that was really the only concern I had. I have been riding a fox rp3 and it has performed beautifully.

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with any other rear shock, but the Ario so I have no real comparisons to make. But I do have one complaint like many other BMC riders in regards to the rear shock is, I can not get full travel out of it! It is plush though...I'm thinking of swapping it out later down the road when funds are available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Revel 1911
    Have you been pleased with the Rock Shox Ario? I just purchased this frame from Jenson as well and that was really the only concern I had. I have been riding a fox rp3 and it has performed beautifully.

I have a 2007 Trailfox 02. The Ario is a really good shock but I was not able to get full travel out of the shock. But the shock does work great. I ended up getting a Fox RP3 with the large can. I am able to get full travel with this shock. Besides the fact that I could not get full travel out of the Ario I like it as much if not better than the Fox RP3.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    @Little Willy: That is a nice looking bike, I too like mine at 120mm (have Talas 110-120-140 adjustable). 100mm feels plain weird but I like the 140mm when doing light FR, 140mm does feels OK for XC, maybe I would get more used to it over time.

It it helps anyone mine is a 17" '07 Trailfox 2.0 and I am 5'9" - it feels the perfect size

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Have just finished my build of the 19 inch frame. Will have to wait untill next weekend to hit the trails. Feels stiff on the road and the lockout works nicely(Ario). I cheaped out on the front fork, a marzocchi 120mm Bombe(4.2 lb)- will see how that works and will post. I could not resist the price at Jensen so far so good.

Total build weight is 28.5 lb with pedals and XT components. Had to dremel off the back of the front derailleur because it was going to nick the chainstays under full compression. Iwas hoping for a little lighter but I understand this is good for a trail bike under 2K.

The frame size feels OK for my 5'10" height - but will see next weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone run a 160mm fork on one of these frames before? The Marz 55 TST2 at Jenson is flippin' cheap right now and it might be just the thing to get the angles just perfect on this frame. I'm doing some math and putting together a parts list and I might go for the 160mm, unless this would be total overkill for a frame like this? Oh, and it would be an opportunity to run a 20mm thru-axle versus a standard QR.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    @JRyder:

Size wise I'd love to hear how it goes. I had a 19" Stumpjumper before the BMC and it was fine XC but terrible on drop-offs etc. The problem was that I could not easily get weight back when needed; with the BMC I just lean back slightly and leave drop offs horizontal with no issue. It was very hard to stop the Stumpy nose diving

Welcome to the BMC club

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Has anyone run a 160mm fork on one of these frames before? The Marz 55 TST2 at Jenson is flippin' cheap right now and it might be just the thing to get the angles just perfect on this frame. I'm doing some math and putting together a parts list and I might go for the 160mm, unless this would be total overkill for a frame like this? Oh, and it would be an opportunity to run a 20mm thru-axle versus a standard QR.
    Probably not a good idea, you're putting the headtube at a greater risk of cracking. I'd check out the RS Pike and Revelation. They're not cheap, but priced pretty well here, http://treefortbikes.com. You get adjustable travel up to 140mm and a 20mm TA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah, I was turned off by the price of the Pike otherwise I'd get one of those. They also have the 55 R which is adjustable from 115mm to 145mm I think and still has the 20mm QR. Oh, and it's the '08 version from Jenson and it is really cheap right now. It might be better to have something adjustable rather than a gigantic 160mm fork that might not work.

Oh, and my frame should be here any day now, I'm super excited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job! Trailfox pedaling prowess

Quote Originally Posted by Revel 1911
    Sorry to jump in on the end of a post but I am looking into purchasing a BMC frame. My question is in regards to peddle bob and climbing. Are you impressed with it? I am also looking at a Pivot Mach 4 but the sticker price on the frame has me taken back. I know there are some design differences but cash saved is cash saved. Thanks.
    I recently built my 07 trailfox 1. It comes with the DTSwiss shock. My build I would describe as "recreational racing". Total weight with Rock Shock 130mm Revelation front suspension is 24 lbs. I prefer extremely plush suspension, and will tolerate some suspension movement in exchange.
    With that in mind, I have to say that the trailfox does have some suspension movement, which may be bothersome on a race situation but not at all in any other situation

For a race, a shock like fox's rp3 or rp23 would be desirable because by simply flipping a lever you can stiffen the suspension and reduce bobbing. On the other hand, the Fox shocks can't be set to be as plush as the DT. (don't know how the PUSH tune may change that).

Although the Trailfox has some suspension movement, I feel this bike "energizes" my pedaling. This bike makes me linger about next time I will ride it, because:
    1. very very plush
    2. efficient pedaling for the travel and plushness it has
    3. X- country Geometry, fast handling, good posture for maximum pedaling power
    4. Light weight
    5. Good looking

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    I recently built my 07 trailfox 1. It comes with the DTSwiss shock. My build I would describe as "recreational racing". Total weight with Rock Shock 130mm Revelation front suspension is 24 lbs. I prefer extremely plush suspension, and will tolerate some suspension movement in exchange.
    With that in mind, I have to say that the trailfox does have some suspension movement, which may be bothersome on a race situation but not at all in any other situation

For a race, a shock like fox's rp3 or rp23 would be desirable because by simply flipping a lever you can stiffen the suspension and reduce bobbing. On the other hand, the Fox shocks can't be set to be as plush as the DT. (don't know how the PUSH tune may change that).

Although the Trailfox has some suspension movement, I feel this bike "energizes" my pedaling. This bike makes me linger about next time I will ride it, because:
    1. very very plush
    2. efficient pedaling for the travel and plushness it has
    3. X- country Geometry, fast handling, good posture for maximum pedaling power
    4. Light weight
    5. Good looking
    What do you mean by suspension movement?

24lbs is excellent, I'd be interested in a pic or two and more details on the spec. What wheels/tires are you using? Also do you know what the '07 Trailfox 1.0 frame weighs?

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    I beleive the TFox 01 weighs about 6.5lbs. with shock. Wow 24 lbs. is featherlight
    I'm going to make mine an anti weight weenie tank. Eventually with a coil pike and a set of Azonic Outlaws and 2.3 Kenda Nevegals. Probably overkill for this frame, that's just how I roll

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros
    I beleive the TFox 01 weighs about 6.5lbs. with shock. Wow 24 lbs. is featherlight
    I'm going to make mine an anti weight weenie tank. Eventually with a coil pike and a set of Azonic Outlaws and 2.3 Kenda Nevegals. Probably overkill for this frame, that's just how I roll
    TF01 & TF02 are both 5.9lbs with shock.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ericfoltz
    TF01 & TF02 are both 5.9lbs with shock.
    To be more precise, on my scales the '07 TF02 with shock, headset and QR is 2862g/ 6.3lbs.

From my spreadsheet:
    Trailfox 2.0 frame weight with headset cups + shock 2710 5.97
    Trailfox seat collar 48 0.11
    Trailfox loose headset parts 104 0.23

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does the 07 have a 69 degree head tube?

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chiplikestoridehisbike
    Does the 07 have a 69 degree head tube?
    Yes 69, but I do not know what size fork that is for. Someone correct me if I am wrong but longer travel forks will reduce that angle. They recommend 110-140mm forks so one assumes 69 is for in the middle of that or maybe at the lowest (110mm)? I do know my '07 TF 2.0 feels fine at 120mm or 140mm but weird at 100mm (Talas adjustable fork). I like it best at 120mm and am a XC guy mainly.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    It's actually 71 degrees at 120mm. Jenson is showing the 08 geo. by accident. Or maybe they're just doing it to sell them off quicker as steep head angles are becoming really unpopular these days.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    It's actually 71 degrees at 120mm. Jenson is showing the 08 geo. by accident. Or maybe they're just doing it to sell them off quicker as steep head angles are becoming really unpopular these days.
    That is steep, no wonder mine feels weird at 100mm.

Where did you get the info from? I see why people call it a long travel XC bike now.

My last bike was a 2001 Stumpjumper, presumably back them 70/71 was the trendy number? I see my hardtail is 70.5 too - guess that's why the 120mm Talas setting makes me feel right at home on the BMC. Interestingly I demoed The 2007 Stumpjumper and Epic back-to-back over four mile trail rides.. loved the Epic, but did not get on well with the Stumpy. The Stumpy had a 68.5 head angle, the Epic 70.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Frame just came in today, it looks pretty awesome. The welds are pretty uniform and all in all it seems very well built. It's super light too. Can't wait to build it up

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3_e46
    What do you mean by suspension movement?

24lbs is excellent, I'd be interested in a pic or two and more details on the spec. What wheels/tires are you using? Also do you know what the '07 Trailfox 1.0 frame weighs?
    Sorry, by suspension movement I mean bobbing.
    My frame Trailfox 1 size 17 was 5.8lbs with seat collar, derailleur hanger, and headset cups.
    Raceable Trail Bike or Recreational Racer Build
    Toughest riding level: Aggressive Cross Country (no jumps or larger than 2ft drop offs)
    Wheelset: tune hubs with stan olympic rims (very xc, very light)
    Fork: RS Revelation 130mm
    Stem: Syntace f99
    HB: Easton EC90
    Seatpost: Thomson Ultimate 350mm (no more carbon parts for me)
    Saddle: selle Italia XC (about 165grams)
    FD: shimano XT Top swing
    RD: Sram X9
    Crankset: Sugino (an old friend)
    Bottom Bracket: World Class titanium square spindle (another oldie)
    Brakes: Magura Marta SL
    Tires: rear Continental Speed King supersonic 400g with 180gr tubes Front: Intense system 2 535 grams with stan no tubes system.
    seat post collar - headset included with frame

Will post pictures soon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You have to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply to the integrated seatpost clamp. Make sure you keep it oiled, so as to prevent over torquing while trying to prevent your seatpost from slipping down. This frame (07) does not use a collar, on the top part of the seat tube on either side of the groove, used to allow the seat tube to apply pressure to the seat post, the frame has small protruding "pierced ears" two above and two bellow. Two small bolts go through these little ears, and attach to the clamp.
    Apply excess pressure, and these little ears will surely fracture, and as explained above, they are part of the frame.

Something I thought a weakness, but really isn't, is the unusually long (for a xc bike) Chain Stay. After riding the bike I must say this has not been an issue. I wanted a flickable quick bike and the Trailfox has delivered.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    You have to be careful with the amount of pressure you apply to the integrated seatpost clamp. Make sure you keep it oiled, so as to prevent over torquing while trying to prevent your seatpost from slipping down. This frame (07) does not use a collar, on the top part of the seat tube on either side of the groove, used to allow the seat tube to apply pressure to the seat post, the frame has small protruding "pierced ears" two above and two bellow. Two small bolts go through these little ears, and attach to the clamp.
    Apply excess pressure, and these little ears will surely fracture, and as explained above, they are part of the frame.

Something I thought a weakness, but really isn't, is the unusually long (for a xc bike) Chain Stay. After riding the bike I must say this has not been an issue. I wanted a flickable quick bike and the Trailfox has delivered.
    Nice to see this addressed. I was wondering about the integrated clamp. Thanks. Assuming they're oiled and torqued properly, does anyone think riding itself will pose a risk to the seatpost clamp? XC bike or not, I don't want to have to compromise my riding for something that small...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think a lot of the problems that people think occur with the seat post collar might be from people hamfisting the thing closed. Also, of all the reviews I've read, I've only stumbled upon rumors of the collars breaking. No pics and no direct accounts. I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, but I would definitely like to see a thread or some pics of this actually happening so I can at least see where it happens. Other than that, I just plan to make small adjustments and be delicate with the tightening.

And I am super excited to try out this geometry. I opted for a 17in frame as the 19in would likely be too large, so the smaller frame is probably going to feel super nimble.

Also, what length stems are people generally trying with this steep headtube angle? I kind of want to run something short, but I'm worried about how twitchy it might get. Any suggestions?

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    I haven't heard anything either, and the same design was applied to their earlier Superstroke, a 6" AM bike, so I guess it's all gravy although they ditched it on their new bikes. Anyway, parts have slowly begun arriving. This is my first build, I'm a little excited.
    As for the cockpit, I bought an 80mm stem and wide (28") handlebars, similar to what I had on my hardtail. It's all subjective, but I like the upright feel to ease pulling the front wheel up. Alright, looks like it should be done by next weekend. Then I can stop with all the incessant questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    To be more precise, on my scales the '07 TF02 with shock, headset and QR is 2862g/ 6.3lbs.

From my spreadsheet:
    Trailfox 2.0 frame weight with headset cups + shock 2710 5.97
    Trailfox seat collar 48 0.11
    Trailfox loose headset parts 104 0.23

Is that for the 19" frame?

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    I haven't heard anything either, and the same design was applied to their earlier Superstroke, a 6" AM bike, so I guess it's all gravy although they ditched it on their new bikes. Anyway, parts have slowly begun arriving. This is my first build, I'm a little excited.
    As for the cockpit, I bought an 80mm stem and wide (28") handlebars, similar to what I had on my hardtail. It's all subjective, but I like the upright feel to ease pulling the front wheel up. Alright, looks like it should be done by next weekend. Then I can stop with all the incessant questions.
    Stem-wise I am running a 110mm right now which seems fine off drop offs etc (2' max DH stuff so far). I am ordering a cheap 90mm stem to see the difference before committing to a Thomspon - I hate hitting a knee on the stem bolts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I decided to order this frame and it came in yesterday. I was surprised at how lite it was. I have it put together except for the shifter cables which will be in this afternoon. Riding this weekend for sure. I appreciate all the tips and suggestions everyone has provided, most helpful. It looks like the overall build weight will be right around 28 pounds. I have tanks for wheels and the cane creek terros have been very reliable. I may move to some liter tires once the panaracers wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Stem-wise I am running a 110mm right now which seems fine off drop offs etc (2' max DH stuff so far). I am ordering a cheap 90mm stem to see the difference before committing to a Thomspon - I hate hitting a knee on the stem bolts.
    I'm thinking of running something really short, like a 60mm. I'm just worried the cockpit might get a little cramped, but we'll see.

Revel, you should def post some pictures when it's all put together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Neu5p3ed
    I don't have any experience with any other rear shock, but the Ario so I have no real comparisons to make. But I do have one complaint like many other BMC riders in regards to the rear shock is, I can not get full travel out of it! It is plush though...I'm thinking of swapping it out later down the road when funds are available.
    On my Trailfox 1, I have the DTSwiss 190 ssd, or ssl (cant remember). This shock, along with the rear suspension geometry(design) are plush, plush plush. I have not dedicated much time tuning my shock and that may explain why it seems not to get full travel. However, regardless of whether or not I am getting full travel the suspension is performing great.

For this frame, I wished for good granny gear climbing plushness. I had read many reviews about similar rear suspension designs excelling in this and all other areas of rear suspension. I can now say that this bike has met or exceeded my expectations

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Haven't gotten out yet, stinkin weather, but the street test has me real excited. The travel on the rear suspension is so smooth. I thought the full suspension frame I just moved out of was a great suspension but this is hands down a massive improvement. Hammering out of the saddle shows little to no bobbing, which makes me wonder if I will use the lockout much. The cockpit feels closer which has to do with a going from a 20" frame to a 19" and using a 90mm stem (slighty shorter than the previous stem). This will be a better fit. Overall, build weight is around 28.5 pounds. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are those 100mm Reba forks?

From what you've experienced, how does it handle with that fork?
    I find my bike with the 120mm Fox is quite fast in its steering and don't think i would go much shorter, but interested to see how you're finding it.

Will post up some pics of my bike, as its had some modifications since new

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have removed the spacers out of the Reba to set it at 115. To me with the 120 in the rear it feels real balanced. The steering is quick but I prefer this. To this point I like it but I have wondered if I should step up just a bit to the 120mm. I really don't need the 140mm of travel in the front because of the trails here in Texas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    piccies.

Loving the new monorail tyre on the back, very fast and grippy.
    makes the bike a fair bit more nimble without 2.3 UST tyres front and rear, now with the 2.1 on the back.

Thompson post has got me in the right position, and the flipped stem sits me perfectly over the front wheel.

I've also played around with air pressures since modding the fork and putting on the float R.
    Now i have roughly 115psi in the shock and 95psi in the fork.
    i weight roughly 70kg with gear.

since these adjustments, the bike just feels fantastic. I think the rear suspension is reasonably sensitive to setup, and at first i had it set up to be very plush, though it was affecting the geometry too much.
    Now it rips!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just an update since I'm coming up on my one year anniversary with my TF02.

So far, we've ridden 4300 miles in 20 different states.

Every type of trail from the rock strewn desert riding of Bootleg Canyon, to the Slickrock of Gooseberry Mesa, the Volcanic trails of Oregon, the Redwood trails of Northern California, the Limestone quarries of Florida and the root and rock infested trails of Wisconsin and Michigan.

Still love the bike and the only bike I would even consider upgrading to would be the '09 TF01.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here is my TF02 first impression.

I am OK with the 19 in frame- my height 5'10" and 120 mm stem. This bike climbs well. I cleared short technical climbs that were a challenge on my Jamis Dakar. As others have mentioned, the Ario shock is plush at low speed but there is difficulty when speed picks up in getting full travel. It seems to be over damped on compression for hard hits. This bike is laterally stiff and inspires confidence. Am happy with the build - XT drivetrain and Marzocchi 600 Bomber. I am satisfied with the fork for the moment as I think the Ario is more of a limiting factor. Also, I am cautious of the seat clamp as I am reading other listers claiming this may be a weak point and my seatpost has been slipping. Since there is access to a machine shop, I will probably make a custom seat tube clamp to work with the existing one.

How does Pedro get his bike down to 24 lbs? mine is over 28 with 1850 gram wheels and a 4.1 lb fork. I figured that I can get another 1.5 lbs off for $700 but anymore than that I need help on.

Overall this bike has been a fun project and very happy with the performance, Of course, I am salivating for more such as.... the RP23 or DT rear shock.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JRyder

I am OK with the 19 in frame- my height 5'10" and 120 mm stem. This bike climbs well. I cleared short technical climbs that were a challenge on my Jamis Dakar. As others have mentioned, the Ario shock is plush at low speed but there is difficulty when speed picks up in getting full travel. It seems to be over damped on compression for hard hits. This bike is laterally stiff and inspires confidence. Am happy with the build - XT drivetrain and Marzocchi 600 Bomber. I am satisfied with the fork for the moment as I think the Ario is more of a limiting factor. Also, I am cautious of the seat clamp as I am reading other listers claiming this may be a weak point and my seatpost has been slipping. Since there is access to a machine shop, I will probably make a custom seat tube clamp to work with the existing one.

How does Pedro get his bike down to 24 lbs? mine is over 28 with 1850 gram wheels and a 4.1 lb fork. I figured that I can get another 1.5 lbs off for $700 but anymore than that I need help on.

Overall this bike has been a fun project and very happy with the performance, Of course, I am salivating for more such as.... the RP23 or DT rear shock.

What kind of post is slipping? My Thompson with the milled grooves is fine. I am now ready to put my carbon post in the trash.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ericfoltz
    Just an update since I'm coming up on my one year anniversary with my TF02.

So far, we've ridden 4300 miles in 20 different states.

Every type of trail from the rock strewn desert riding of Bootleg Canyon, to the Slickrock of Gooseberry Mesa, the Volcanic trails of Oregon, the Redwood trails of Northern California, the Limestone quarries of Florida and the root and rock infested trails of Wisconsin and Michigan.

Still love the bike and the only bike I would even consider upgrading to would be the '09 TF01.
    The new re-designed TF01??????
    I beleive that would be a completely different bike. I would buy the 09 Fourstroke with the 120mm rockers. I prefer my head angle no less than 70degrees.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What kind of post is slipping? My Thompson with the milled grooves is fine. I am now ready to put my carbon post in the trash.
    I am using an Easton post. I am probably not dialing enough clamping pressure due to being cautious. I just got an in-lb torque wrench and if I had any factory values to go by I would likely have better results.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Except for the Rock Shock Revelation, my build is Cross Country, Light XC Heck, the Revelation is not even 100grams heavier than a Reba.
    Easton Carbon EC90 HB, Syntace f99 Stem, Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, Selle Italia XC Gelflow, Marta SL disc Brakes, Tune Hubs laced to Stan Olympic Rims, Ultegra 12-27 cassette, eggbeater SL pedals, Sram XO shifters, X9 RD, XT FD, XTR Chain, Similar to "XT" Weight Cranks.
    This is a costly build I have acquired gradually in a two year period. Parts go from one frame to the next for as long as they last or fit.
    Other smaller items that can add or reduce weight are the bottle cage, Skewers, grips, tire and tubes (or not) choice.

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    I am using an Easton post. I am probably not dialing enough clamping pressure due to being cautious. I just got an in-lb torque wrench and if I had any factory values to go by I would likely have better results.
    Easton Carbon? My EC90 slipped like crazy until I shimmed it with paper. There is anti-slip paste available for carbon bits too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Easton Carbon? My EC90 slipped like crazy until I shimmed it with paper. There is anti-slip paste available for carbon bits too.
    No, this is Easton Aluminum.

Hey Pedro, I like the green color and you got the DT shock with that package also. Worth the xtra bucks.

www.cycletools.org
    Sep 2008

What do you like better BMC or KONA?

Witch is a better frame for the next bike build I like X-Country riding with some small jumps a BMC Trailfox or a Kona Dawg Deluxe?

www.cycletools.org
    Sep 2008

What do you like better BMC or KONA?

Quote Originally Posted by cycletools.org
    Witch is a better frame for the next bike build I like X-Country riding with some small jumps a BMC Trailfox or a Kona Dawg Deluxe?
    I cant make up my mind they both look good and people say good things about them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just installed my Marz 55r 140mm fork on my frame, and it looks glorious. From what I can tell right now, a 140mm fork on the 17" frame lowers the head angle significantly. It actually looks kinda raked out, and it's still within what BMC considers safe for this frame. I'll post up pics in a few.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    DSC_0064.JPG

Here's what the rest of the build will be like:

x-9 drivetrain
    Avid bb7 brakes with speed dial levers
    Truvativ cranks (come with group)
    Raceface revolution seatpost w/ slight setback
    Selle san marco ponza saddle in white
    Easton ea50 risers w/ sette lockring grips in white
    Spank rims on Nukeproof hubs

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Nice build so far Oregon. I just did my first real ride today. Still some kinks to sort out with the drivetrain and the shock, but wow, I'm very pleased with this bike! It weighs about the same as my hardtail and actually out climbs it. The handling is indeed very quick which really helps in the switchbacks. It feels really solid on steep descents too, I didn't notice any twitchiness. I'll post pics. when I get my camera fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I wish I could compare both frame sets but all I can do is provide feedback for the Trailfox 2.0 frame. I built the TF up two weeks ago and I thoroughly enjoy it. The suspension eats up the large and small stuff nicely. It stays glued to the trail. As discussed above the head angle is steep but I think I notice this more because of the angle of my previous frame. The frame built up fairly lite (28lbs) so there doesn't appear to be much of a weight penalty from my previous frame. I am very impressed with the pedaling out of the saddle, very little movement without the rear end locked out. Actually the Ario shock that came with it is good but I find that the lockout is pretty much useless because it seems to add feedback to the frame when it is locked out. I will replace the rear shock with time but it is not a necessity for riding because it works so well while not locked out. This has been a great upgrade and the deal that Jenson currently has can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm pretty stoked, I'm getting hooked up with free bars and really cheap bb7's with speed dials. I'll probably have the whole thing built up in about a week and a half. I can't wait to ride it, though we did get a bit of snow and any trails I would think about riding is going to be pretty mucky.

mtbr member
    I've had my TF02 for about a month now (bought from Jenson like many others) and my experiences with the bike echo what has already been said. I love the rear suspension, it's super plush, very little pedal bob(lockout isn't worth it imo), pretty neutral braking, and climbs well.

With a 130mm fork I feel very comfortable going downhill. The steering remains quick, but not unstable. This bike is definitely at home going through switchbacks, whether up or down them. The quick steering and short cockpit, make navigating switchbacks a breeze.

Most of the parts are swapped from hardtail, so my spec list isn't stellar. I do plan on replacing most parts, first of which are new building new wheels. Overall, I love the bike . Anyways here a few pics.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Alright, this is my first post, sorry if it sucks.

I have been looking at getting a new bike for a while and have been shopping around and doing a lot of demo days. After a good friend told me about BMC, I stated researching and reading a ton of post about the bikes also following the threads on this site. I finally decide to make the jump after all of the great pics and positive words you all have been posting. I bought my TF02 frame 3 weeks ago and picked all the parts. It was built 2 weeks ago some help from a friend.

Still need to get a few things, new pedals, Push Loc and new shifters. I feel that I have her pretty dialed in right now but I will still keep tweaking it until it is just right. I have put 35 mils on in the last 3 days and this is the first weekend really taking it out on the local trails. So far it rides great, I am really just starting to get my legs under me since this is my first FS bike. It is taking a little while to trust the bike and know that it will take anything I throw at it. Great climbing and very tight through the turns. It handles the tight turns as well as my old Cannondale HT does.

Here are the specs:

Frame: 2007 Trailfox 02
    Fork: RockShox Revelation
    Shock: RockShox Ario 2.2
    Stem: TruVativ aka
    Bars: TruVativ Hussefelt riser
    BB: TruVativ GXP team
    Cranks:Truvativ carbon noir 3.3
    Saddle: Bontrager inForm RL 154 width
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980
    FD: SRAM X-9
    RD: SRAM X-0
    Brakes: Avid Elixir R
    Shifters: SRAM X-0
    Grips: Oury (White)
    Rims: Alex Rims FD16
    Spokes and Nips: DT
    tires: Kenda Nevegal
    Cables: Shimano XTR SIS Shift Cable Set

She is at 30 roughly, I weighed it on a home bathroom scale. Here are the photos, sorry about the quality but my camera sucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just ordered my custom wheelset from CRC: Spank Subrosa rims in white with Nukeproof generator hubs and DT champion spokes. They should be in the 1800-1900g range and be completely bomb proof. This build is taking me too damn long, I've already missed a few sunny days I could've been riding

mtbr member
    That itch to ride is definitely hard to bear, but it just makes the maiden ride sweeter. I was happy with the performance of mine on the first ride, and I continue to love how it rides.

Let us know how the short stem works out, I've been thinking of putting a shorter stem on mine.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

Big air wannabe
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Modena
    Let us know how the short stem works out, I've been thinking of putting a shorter stem on mine.
    Just buy a few cheap ones to see what size feels best. I've tried 110mm, 45mm and now 80mm

110 was too def. long, 45mm was probably a bit short but felt fine. 80mm also feels fine but is not quite as good for jumping - I'll probably order a 70mm Thompson Elite after a month or so with the 80mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1