mtbr member
    Jun 2009

BMC Trailfox 01 small frame

Hey fellas,

Well this is the story. My wife and brother went in together and bought me a new 07 BMC Trailfox 01 with the DT Swiss shock for my birthday! Im thinking sweet!!! They had ordered it from Jenson USA for like $750 and change. The catch is they got me a small frame. I'm 5'10 with a inseam of 31". I've been doing some research on some of the forums and can't decide wether I should go ahead and build this beast. I have a hard tail that Im gonna part out for this FS.

I know having a smaller frame will be easier to flick around on the trails but I don't know if this frame will be too small?

I live in Western NC and ride mainly single track rocky and rooty trails.

Thanks for any advice!

Is now still the time?
    I think it will fit you. I am 5' 8.5" with a 30" inseam, and I bought an extra small 15" BMC Fourstroke and it fits me really good. I think the next larger size would work for me, but not as good. The size you have may be on the small side of the range for your stature, but it will handle great in those tight quarters you have out there. If you build it and don't like it, someone would take it off your hands. Like me. I wonder what the next size up would be like too. I have no regrets on getting the extra small. The top tube clearance is important to me. I have been beating mine to death for three years. I strongly recommend that you put blue loctite into the linkage bolt threads before assembling.

mtbr member
    i have an 07 Trailfox '01 with a medium 17" frame. I have it built up as a B6er. I must say the standovr height is pretty close with the top tube about 1.5 inches away from the sac. I have a 32" inseam and am 5'9". i think you'll be good with standover height for sure on a 15" frame. You'll just need a 100mm stem and definitely a setback seatpost to accomodate your upperbody. I recommend the setback since your longish trunk(for the frame) is best put rearward on this bike rather than forward. (steep head angle for a long travel bike)

HTH