Hack Racer

BMC Team Elite 01

Anyone heard of this frame or are using one?
    It's about 900 USD
    1600 g

I've heard of BMC for road bikes, especially the time machine. But I never knew they made mountain bikes until I saw the ad on this forum (mtbr.com)

What are your opinions on this frame? Good value? Good ride? heavy? fragile? It'a rare, so it's kinda cool, no one else would have one where I ride.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.bmc-cycling.com/teamelite.html

SUBLIM8er
    It looks really nice but 3/4lb too heavy, IMO. You can get a Sc frameset these days for less and save a great deal of weight.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    It looks really nice but 3/4lb too heavy, IMO. You can get a Sc frameset these days for less and save a great deal of weight.
    Who did you have in mind for the SC frames?

Brodie Spark Sc frame
    Rocky Mountain Team Vertex

I think that's the only two Sc frames I know of... and both of those are pretty expensive.

banned

Taiwan made frames...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!

Brodie Spark Sc frame

I think that's the only two Sc frames I know of... and both of those are pretty expensive.
    there's several taiwan made scandium frames these days which don't cost a fortune.

the BMC (swiss bike by the way) is sure a nice frame BUT all those nice details don't make it any better, just different and heavy. it's sure a very nice looking frameset but nothing special in any departement other than the look.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!

Brodie Spark Sc frame

Here's my frame/bike. 700 bucks for Sc. Geometry is spot on as per Joe Murray! I took third in my age group in a race on it yesterday on terrain that had everyone else riding their full sproingers. I love it. Full build is 16.6 lbs. BTW, the frame lost 8g after I took the ugly VooDoo headbadge off!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Kona Kula Primo / Supreme

I have been extremely happy with my '05 Kona Kula Primo (Scandium - the Supreme is the scandium version now I believe). It wasnt too expensive and is light, responsive, and has a really nice "feel".

K

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The BMC is 3.5lbs, about 1/2lb. over many of the scandium frames. The BMC is unique frame, rarely found on the trails. BMC gets my vote.

mtbr member
    The Orbea Scapes look very nice... Super light too. Worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i just ordered my bmc,

should have everything in by friday and riding it sat

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    should have everything in by friday and riding it sat

dont' forget to post some pictures

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

not sure i can post

pics here because its not a weenie bike meant to be hung on a scale and looked
    at. this will actually get ridden and raced and needs to hold up for more than cruising
    to the local coffee shop like most bikes here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

can't bag all swiss

because of 1 tool on this board, i still like frischy too even though this same tool
    knows him. i'm sure frischy thinks this clown is a tool also, he just tolerates him.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    With BMC being a Swiss company manufacturing in Tawain and supporting dopers I would steer clear.
    So we should boycott giant, shimano and other companies too then right? Because Ulrich didn't start, basso didn't start, and I'm pretty sure they had some form of shimano component on their bikes as well.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Used to ride a BMC frame as my 4X hardtail race bike. Definitely a great bike, but for a weight weenie hardtail, you can do much better for much cheaper. Sure, it might not be as sexy our unique as a BMC, but you'll be able to buy your self a sexy and unique trophy wife with the money you save.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

the frame was only about $1000,

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Used to ride a BMC frame as my 4X hardtail race bike. Definitely a great bike, but for a weight weenie hardtail, you can do much better for much cheaper. Sure, it might not be as sexy our unique as a BMC, but you'll be able to buy your self a sexy and unique trophy wife with the money you save.
    not sure how much cheaper you can get a weight weenie frame for but i would
    guess you might be able to save a couple of hundred bucks, we must have different
    taste in women cuz you wont get much of a trophy wife for a couple of hundred,
    i like em with all their teeth!

mtbr member
    That frame looks awesome!

I'd rather ride a bike I love the look/feel of, then one a few grams lighter which I felt lukewarm about...

Favorable write-up: http://bikemag.com/gear/010806_bmc/

Please post some pics when you get it.

Hack Racer
    Not sure what the difference is between:
    http://www.bmc-racing.com/
    and
    http://www.bmc-cycling.com/

but on bmc-racing.com the team elite 01 (2007 model?), is full carbon. There are no big pictures or super details as to how heavy the frame is. Also the frame sizes are now 16, 18, 20, and 22. Where as the older frame (above posts) came in 15, 17, 19, 21, 23.

the new 2007 model?

Maybe some of you euro guys can elborate on this bike seeing how euro bike show is going on.

the train keeps rollin

No good tool

Quote Originally Posted by peabody
    pics here because its not a weenie bike meant to be hung on a scale and looked
    at. this will actually get ridden and raced and needs to hold up for more than cruising
    to the local coffee shop like most bikes here.
    If everyone on this forum just rides their bike to the coffee shop and back, why are you seeking input from here? Maybe you're looking for something to swill your non fat, extra foam decaf latte on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

you must have reading comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    If everyone on this forum just rides their bike to the coffee shop and back, why are you seeking input from here? Maybe you're looking for something to swill your non fat, extra foam decaf latte on?

issues. where was it that i was looking for input? i said i had ordered one, didnt
    ask what you thought about it. by the way the bike rides great. it uses old school
    geometry which i like better. i came from a trek 9.8 which has a 24.6 tt and this
    bmc for a 19 has a 23.2 tt, longer stem and handles better for me, never really
    cared for that genesis geo.

mtbr member
    Nice frame. Can we have some pics of your build? I'm moving up to expert in XC next season so its going to be time to build a proper lightweight race hardtail. A Voodoo Sobo is going to be on my list for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i race expert xc and

this is the nicest ht i have ridden. it isn't the lightest and if thats your goal
    i would get a scale or wait for the new bmc. puleeeeeze do not mention that vodoo
    in the same sentence as this frame. the only frame i would purchase over this one
    is the new bmc carbon, or if super light weight is your thing then a scale, otherwise
    nothing comes close to the style of this thing. i am running a new fox f100 rlc
    fork on it which probably slows the handling down a little but i like it a little less
    nervous and it handles great. i see the new one is designed around 100mm
    forks. that really helps a hardtail out.

Hack Racer
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2006...ts/eurobike063

has more info on the latest BMC Team Elite 01 frame. Looks like there goes the 1000 dollar range for a BMC hardtail.