mtbr member
    May 2006

BMC Superstroke sizing

I've got a BMC Superstroke01 frame and am worried that the top tube is not long enough, should i sell it or build it? I'm 6' tall and 31" inseam

mtbr member
    define 'not long enough'

if you mean "not as long as your XC bike" well, it isn't an XC bike and the TT is supposed to be shorter.
    if you mean you got too small a frame...

I'm 6'3" and have a 21" superstroke running a 70mm stem and it feels good for it's intended purpose.

Dirt Deviant
    I'm 6'3 ish and have the 21" Superstroke and am running a 65mm Sunline V-One AM Stem and its perfect.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i purchased the 19" model and want be sure i'm not going to be cramped, i'd hate to spend some money on it and find that it doesn't work for me. I was going to start with a 120mm stem but maybe i should try 90. just for a comparison i ride a 19" Kona Unit with a 90mm stem.
    What fork a you guys using?

Dirt Deviant
    I'm running a 145mm Manitou Nixon Super Air Plus.....but was thinking of getting a RS Lyrik 2 step air for it.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I'm running a magura wotan.

I don't really understand the question: the TT length is on Jenson's web site. You know the TT length of your bike, therefor you know how cramped or not the BMC is going to feel compared to your kona. Measurements mean more than someone saying "it feels ok"

mtbr member
    I am running a Lyrik U-Turn. It works fine for this frame. Mine is a 19 inch frame with the seat right in the middle of the rails, which gives me good alignment on the pedals. I run a 90mm stem, but could go a bit shorter. I am 6'1" with a 32 inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Joules, my question is did i buy the wrong frame size? It was an impulsive buy and not knowing much about LT bike geometry and comparing it to other LT bikes after i received it the TT was comparably shorter, when i first looked at the geometry i figured the relaxed down seat tube angle would make the effective TT lonnger, anyway the 21" would have been way to tall. I just want to other peoples experiences with this bike so i determine whether to keep it or not.
    How does fork length alter the geometry on these bikes? say 130mm vs 160mm.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have had a few forks on my superstroke now. The Lyric is the best because of the adjustability I get with the head angle (not to mention the damper is AWESOME) With the travel at 160 mm the bike is a bit of a handful on the uphill switch backs. The front will wander quite a bit even when climbing a a shallow grade. for doing step downs, drops, or jumps however this setting is pretty good. I keep mine set at about 150 mm of travel for most of my riding. It keeps the front down on the climbs, but still allows me to just make a subtle weight shift to pop the front up for a jump or drop. Anything less than 145 and I feel like I am looking down over the bars and the bike gets a bit hyper sensative. This is the reason I stay away from cross country rigs--too steep in the head angle.

Badass Irish trail bomber

...superstroke

Like some of the other guys, I have a 19" and run a Lyrik on front. It seems to work really well for a lot of different terrain.

Attached Images Attached Images