mtbr member
    Mar 2006

BMC superstroke frame size

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the BMC Superstroke 01 06 or 07 frame to build a new bike but I'm not sure which size I should get between 17" and 19". I'm 5-10 and my inseem is 33". I'm worried about the standover height of the bike. The top tube doesn't look that steep.

Anyway, my current bike is a 06 Mongoose Teocali with the standover height of 713mm(about 28"?). Sorry, just got the number from their site. It's their medium size frame and the horizon top tube length is 584mm which is longer than both 17"(515) and 19"(537) Superstroke.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Roy

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I recently got the 17" '06 Shark Gray from Jenson. The standover height of the frame is pretty tall while the top tube is on the short side. I installed a 60mm stem and I can climb comfortably with the bike as I've done a couple of 20+mile rides with it. I guess your better off with a medium frame as top tube height is more essential than standover height. Also standover height would be greatly affected by the lenght of fork that you plan to pair it with. I slapped my old 66rc2x so the standover is a bit on the tall side and even with this, it's not uncomfortably high and I could still mount on it normally.

The short top tube makes the BMC more for aggressive riding than normal trail riding. It loves to be flicked around more like my old MC Sin and it could definitely hold it's own on gnarly trails when I tried it at Suicide and Sunset Ridge trail just last weekend. It prefers jumping over obstacles rather than rolling/plowing over it.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thank you.