Snowjnky McDreamy

BMC Superstroke???

I am thinking about getting a superstroke frame. Any reviews opinions or advice about this bike. Anything would be well appreciated. I want an AM bike that can climb and do epics with ease.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    A group of us bought 3 Fourstroke frames and love em. I went with the "Trail" version which has 5" of travel, the superstroke has 6" but the two are otherwise very similar in ride quality. If you want the longer legs and the lighter build, go for that Supersroke and i'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Just make sure you post some pic's for us "Fourstrokers" to drool over.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey guys, I too have a four stroke trail and have a couple of questions to ask. Have any of you guys had any problems with the bearings in the rocker link trying to work their way out of the press fit? When i first built the bike, i may have gotten 50 miles on it when I noticed the bearings in the rocker where the seat stays mount to it, where working the way to the inside of the rocker pulling the stays against the rocker causing it to rub metal on metal. I also noticed the bearing on the non-drive side that connects the rocker to the seat tube, was coming out of the press fit and the connecting bolt was still tight. Todd Schmidt and QBP took care of me and sent a new rocker and DW link. It was simple to change out and seems to work great now. I'm not too worried about this happening again, just wandered if this may be a common problem with other fourstroke owners. The 2nd question is What do you guys think about how the bike climbs? The reason i'm asking is that I've noticed a little more bob while climbing compared to my old Yeti ASR that only had a little over 3" of travel compared to 5" on the BMC. The bike seems to climb great and i can notice grreat power on the climb, but I'm also paying attention to the bob. Maybe it's just me........what do you think?

Mcgruff

mtbr member
    Hi Mcgruff,

First, on the bearings, my first rocker had the issue with the bearing seat trying to work it's way out. I never had a problem with the bearings moving or metal to metal contact, but the pivot points began leaking grease. I called my dealer and he was aware of the issue and told me there was an updated design. When we installed the new pivot we could tell the fitment was different, and I have put over 70 miles on the bike since with no issues.

About the climbing, I think the fourstroke climbs just as good as my hardtail, and I don't feel that i've lost any climbing power. What you may be feeling is your rear tire adapting to the terrain. The great thing about the APS design is that you can climb without rear shock "bob", but the shock is still active in keeping your rear tire planted, which in my opinion is better than being "locked out" while climbing. On some of the more technical climbs that I ride weekly, I feel like the fourstroke gives me an advantage to my Stumpy hardtail because my rear tire is always planted and giving me traction. I have experienced what you are feeling, and believe it is just a result of an active rear suspension.

Take Care.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey Mike,
    How long ago did you change out your rocker link. I was wandering if my new rocker might be the new design?

mtbr member
    I got the new link about 3 weeks ago. After reading my last post, the wording I used may be confusing, I said it was the "new design", well the design is actually the same, I think the update was more along the lines of a different bearing manufacturer. I just didn't want you to think there would be a visible difference. The only thing I noticed was the link was a little tighter fitting with the new bearings.

Let me know what you think of the rear suspension after a couple more rides, and see if you agree that the motion you're feeling is suspension compliance rather than "pedal bob". I would be interested to hear your take.

Thanks.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    OK, I understand now about the bearings. Now that you mention it, I need to compare my new link to the old one to see if the bearings are different. I like the way the climbs even with the 1" 1/2 of travel extra compared to my Yeti. What rear shock came on your bike? mine came with a fox float R. Also, I have noticed that i am pumping alot more air in the shock to get the proper sag. This inturn, doesn't let me get full travel of the shock, but makes climbing better. I weigh about 215 pounds and I'm running about 230 pounds of air in the shock. My frame is also a 21". Do you think this could make a difference.

mtbr member
    Mine is the 21" also with the Fox float R. I also weigh 215, and set mine to about 25% sag and ended up with about 195 pounds of air in it, which seems to use the full travel of the Float shock. Fox says it is normal to use the full travel of the shock, even to the point that it may bottom out on the most severe sections of your ride, so I would air yours down little-by-little until you achieve full suspension travel.

If your climbing seems to suffer, adjust your pro-pedal stiffer so that you don't get any "bobbing" when dropping off of a sidewalk. With 195 pounds in my float shock and roughly 25% sag, I ended up turning up the pro-pedal to about 3 clicks from "full" and now the shock is very active, but doesn't affect my pedaling at all.

I am off tomorrow to ride the new Tamarack resort's downhill course since they operate their chairlifts in the summer for hikers & bikers. This will be the first full day of DH action for the Fourstroke, so I will play with the air pressure on the Float and see what adjustments are necessary. I usually ride AM where I have to pay (in sweat) for all of my DH minutes, so it is going to feel weird not climbing.

Let me know after you try some adjusting.....

Mike
    Last edited by Overthebars; 08-04-2006 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    This is probably a stupid question, but is the Propedal adjustment the red dial on the shock? I assumed that the dial was the rebound adjustment. If so, I know i will have to adjust it some. If the propedal adjustment is somewhere else on the shock, let me know. Sounds like we are riding close to the same set up. The adjustment on the propedal may be what i'm feeling while climbing. Thanks for all your help and information.

Andy

mtbr member
    You're right Andy, the red dial is actually rebound adjustment, the propedal (which ours doesn't have) is a seperate lever on the RP3 shocks. I was talking about the rebound adjustment (I just flopped my terminology), and adjusting it will get rid of most of the "bobbing" you feel when going over bumps.

Let me know how it works out. I just adjusted mine dropping off of a sidewalk until the shock rebounded smooth without bouncing up and down. Be careful not to set it too stiff though, or it will tend to launch up like a pogo stick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey Mike, I hope to try some new adjustment tomorrow mornig when i get back from an out of town trip with the family. I think my rebound is set now 5 or 6 clicks out from full......it maybe a little to much. I'll try you suggestions and let you know. How did your bike ride on the downhill course? Also, what kind of fork are you running, I need a new fork but have pondered alot on which one to try. Fox? Marzocchi? Manitou? I don't know.

Andy

mtbr member
    Andy, the downhill course was great on the Fourstroke, it handled great over the rocks and tree roots, and the suspension was very smooth. The thing I probably appreciated the most was the Avid BB-7 disc brakes, being able to stop on a dime is a huge plus on these steep downhill courses.

As far as front forks, I wanted a 5" shock to match the rear suspension, and I seem to prefer the spring/oil combo's, so I bought a Roch Shox "Recon 351" after hearing lots of good pub about the new RS product. I tell you, I couldn't be happier, the fork is very smooth, while being stiff enough that it doesn't bottom out. The compression adjustment allows alot of control over the travel, and you can even lock it out. The best feature is the "U-Turn" technology, when I get ready to start climbing, I crank the fork down to 85mm for lower handle bar position and great climbing, then when I get to the top I crank it up to 130mm and take off. I simply couldn't recommended a component any more.

Good luck with the adjustments, and give us a post on the results.

Mike

Hi!!!
    How was Tam? I haven't been up there in a couple of weekends, but holy crap were those corners getting really shitty last time I was there. I'm gonna head up there over Labor Day weekend.

Thank God for a free season pass!
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Free season pass? damn, that'd be sweet!!

We heard the same thing about Tam, and ended up at Brundage. One of the guys I ride with took his 11 year old Son, so he wanted to go somewhere where he was familiar with the terrain.

Hidden took some abuse during the spring run-off and it was steeper than I have ever seen it, and rocky as usual. They have been cutting in some new down-hill racing trails to try and keep up with the other resorts, and there is one about half way down Hidden that has a 12' drop and then about a 10' rock jump, it looked pretty sick (as I was walking down beside it).

Elk run was in great shape and a lot of fun, and Growler was the typical torn up switch-back's on the upper half, and fun as hell on the bottom half through the trees and roots.

Let me know how Tamarack is next weekend, I'd like to get up there soon.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    Hidden took some abuse during the spring run-off and it was steeper than I have ever seen it, and rocky as usual.
    I rode up at Brundage on opening weekend. When I went down Hidden Valley I though "OH CRAP!!!" cuz it just seemed alot worse than it was last year. I spoke with one of the employees and he said they were on the verge of closing it the day before cuz it was pretty bad. Apparently some idiots on WalFart bikes came through and locked up their rear brakes through the rock garden and effed it up.

They have been cutting in some new down-hill racing trails to try and keep up with the other resorts, and there is one about half way down Hidden that has a 12' drop and then about a 10' rock jump, it looked pretty sick (as I was walking down beside it).
    Oooooo.....I'm gonna have to check that one out over Labor Day weekend!!

Elk run was in great shape and a lot of fun, and Growler was the typical torn up switch-back's on the upper half, and fun as hell on the bottom half through the trees and roots.
    Elk is my fave trail. Just nice and flowy and a great cruiser as opposed to Super G.

Let me know how Tamarack is next weekend, I'd like to get up there soon.
    This upcoming weekend I'm doing the Blue Cruise charity ride. The weekend of the 18th - 20th I'm mountain biking around Stanley.

Maybe I'll put together a group thing through the Idaho forum for Tamarack/Brundage over Labor Day weekend. Keep your eye open for that.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Oooooo.....I'm gonna have to check that one out over Labor Day weekend!!
    There is a spot on Hidden where the trail turns to the left and looks almost like it turns into double track, and there is a single track that continues strait ahead. This is the trail with the two drops, and it's about 200 feet long and then ties right back into the main Hidden trail. Just to the left of the first drop we found a "closed" sign sitting on the ground torn in half, so I don't know what their plans are for the fun little detour (maybe downhill races only???), but the way it heads strait off of the main Hidden trail, if you didn't know better you would think IT was the main trail.

Maybe I'll put together a group thing through the Idaho forum for Tamarack/Brundage over Labor Day weekend. Keep your eye open for that.
    Sounds Good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

just got mine.

I picked up a superstroke and a maverick duc32 front fork..

as soon as i get the i9 wheels and all the other stuff to build it i'll post a pic.

i kinda want to upgrade the rp3 to a coilover... i'll be going to our local park called diablo at mountain creek...

how is the rp3 on drops?

i had an azonic with a romic coil before so i'm not up on air??

mtbr member
    RP3 works pretty good on medium drops.... I'm going to send mine in and get it "pushed" which will make it even better...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    RP3 works pretty good on medium drops.... I'm going to send mine in and get it "pushed" which will make it even better...
    Hey Mike, are you still riding the Fourstroke or have you upgraded? I also thought of sending my shock to PUSH to have it worked on but haven't decided yet.

Mcgruff

mtbr member
    Yup, still riding the Fourstroke... really love the bike. I've been spending all my upgrade money trying to find tires that I like, and am just now having a wheelset built here locally.

Brackish
    I had never seen one of those before, they look great (Superstroke). I think I have a new item on my wishlist...

mtbr member
    Yeah, one of the guys in our riding group had to "one-up" me and order the Superstroke.... That thing is sweet. Once I finish the upgrade of my components, I am going to seriously look at one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

finally finished...took it to diablo in vernon nj.... werked perfectly.... took it to ringwood state park for some all mountain... pedals well but its about 35lbs... so it was not so easy.

very happy though.