mtbr member

BMC Superstroke 01 2007 v.s. Giant Reign 0 2008

I'm highly considering these two frames to replace my MC San Andreas DNA that cracked open like a can of sardines. All my parts that are on my DNA would be transferred over except for those that have size issues and the summary of which are : '06 170mm Marzocchi 66 RC2X, Custom DT 5.1D with Hope Pro2's and DT Champions, Raceface Evolove DH Crankset 32-22, SRAM X9 Mid Cage RD & X9 Shifters, SRAM PG970 11-34 cassette, Easton ADVICE Stem/Handlebar Sys., Thomson Elite 31.6 seatpost, Hayes HFX9's w/ BFL 203mm F/R, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 & Maxxis Hansventure 2.35.

The two bikes have identical 6 inch travel although the BMC's has travel adjustment option for either 130 or 150mm. Suspension design on both are similar short 4 bar / 4 pivot linkage but the they differ greatly in terms of leverage ratio. The BMC uses an 8.5 x 2.5 shock to achieve either 130 or 150mm travel thus has either a 2:1 or 2.4:1 leverage ratio. The Reign uses a 7.875 x 2.0 shock to achieve the same 6 inches thus has a higher 3:1 leverage ratio.

The geometry of the 2 bikes would be similar once I slap on my 66 RC2X although I did notice that the BMC has long chainstay lenght. I might have the travel reduced to 150mm should I find it too tall but it's currently only 5mm taller than an '08 55ATA and 10mm taller tan a Fox 36 or Lyrik in terms of axle to crown height.

I like the BMC for it's rarity and low leverage ratio but the '08 Reign's shape as well as it's option to run a longer stroke shock to match the 6.7 inches on my 66.

I want to know you guys think between these two bikes.
    Last edited by nickgto; 08-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    BMC will be a better since you can buy it for $589 at Jenson. also a lower leverage ratio will make the rear suspension more active also it has the same suspension design. I saw some post in here someone saying a lot of bad stuff about Giant specially the Reign. besides Giant Reign has crappy hanger and pivot bearings like what I've read in this forum. I have a BMC Trailfox and i'm loving it!
    Last edited by BMCMike; 08-27-2008 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCMike
    BMC will be a better since you can buy it for $589 at Jenson. also a lower leverage ratio will make the rear suspension more active also it has the same suspension design. I saw some post in here someone saying a lot of bad stuff about Giant specially the Reign. besides Giant Reign has crappy hanger and pivot bearings like what I've read in this forum. I have a BMC Trailfox and i'm loving it!
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know what type of warranty BMC has on the frames when purchased new from an authorized retailer? Has anyone done warranty with BMC? I'd also like to know if they would warranty it even if I have a longer than recommended 66RC2x fork?

I'm very particular with warranty because I tend to break stuff alot that is why I also considered the Reign because they say Giant has pretty good warranty.

So far I like the BMC more due to the lower leverage ratio making the shock less stressed and making the shock have more control over the suspension's travel. I just need more information about BMC's warranty.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I don't know what the leverage ratio is on the Reign, but it doesn't require nearly as much air pressure as my previous bike (C-dale Super V). I had a Manitou Swinger Air shock on my Super V and now have one on my Reign. The Super V required me to run 280psi and the Reign only needs about 190psi with the Swinger Air I have now.

My weight has been in the 270-300lbs range. My son weighs about 185 and we run about 150psi in his Reign's Swinger Air. I hear the Fox's on the newer Reigns may need a bit more pressure, but it's still not that high.

May contain nuts
    . also a lower leverage ratio will make the rear suspension more active also it has the same suspension design.
    Nice physics!

I saw some post in here someone saying a lot of bad stuff about Giant specially the Reign. besides Giant Reign has crappy hanger and pivot bearings like what I've read in this forum.
    You need to get out more...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Not really.. upon searching the forum I just found out that nickgto is one of the person who said that Giant Reign has crappy hanger and pivot bearings.

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    click this ! View My TinyFx

if i get to pick between the trail fox and superstroke, id get the trailfox over the superstroke and im being honest.
    whitout considering the components you already have.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Nice physics!

Damn, I missed the class explaining how a lower leverage ratio made the suspension more active...