Thread: BMC Speedfox

mtbr member

BMC Speedfox

I can't find much information about BMC mtb on the web. The Speedfox 01 looks interesting. It's listed as a "marathon" bike so I'm guessing it would be suitable for racing.

Anyone has info on the suspension system BMC uses? Are they efficient and fairly resistant to pedal bob? Any weaknesses?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's BMC's AM bike.

It is using the APS rear suspension which is basically a virtual pivot point design. It's very effective at supressing pedal bob and brake influence.

If you are looking into XC racing, the Fourstroke 01 might be better (I ride one).

mtbr member
    Looks like they only make the fourstroke in carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Owned a speed fox for 2 months when I first started mountain biking but I don't think it had sufficient suspension travel to be considered as a real AM bike.

The slack-ish head angle made it pretty stable while descending but once you hit any bumps or drops (very small drops, like 1-2 foot) the rear will bottom out easily unless you increase the rear shock's air pressure but that would make the whole bike feel very stiff and bumpy.

My opinion may not be the best to listen to though since that was my very first real mountain bike and my skills were extremely lacking while I was riding it. I also had the lowest level Speedfox which only came with a float R for the rear shock. Things may have been different if it had a better shock such as the RP23.

Carvy is right about the APS suspension though. The bike pedals extremely well, even better then the long travel hard tail that I have right now (TransAM).