Plays nice with others

BMC Fourstroke sizing

I'm looking to order a Fourstroke 03 and trying to decide on a size. I'm 5'8", with shortish legs and longish arms. BMC's suggested rider heights would put me on a small, but the 567mm effective top tube would be 10-17mm shorter than my current mountain bikes. On the medium, though, the top tube would be 5-7mm longer, and standover might be a problem (though I can't find standover heights listed anywhere).

So, any advice from Fourstroke riders in the 5'8" neighborhood? Is the shorter top tube going to be a problem?

Riding is Wisconsin singletrack, so not extremely technical.

Thanks much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm a little taller than you and ride the small size fourstroke. I think if I'd gone with the medium size it would be uncomfortably large in the standover area. I'd recommend the size small and if you feel cramped on the top tube you can always dial in the stretch you want with layback posts and longer stems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just finished building a small size (15) Fourstroke 03 today. I built it for my friend who is about 5' 4". I am 5' 8" and I find the small bike with a 90 mm stem tight. The stand over clearance is about 1" for me. I would recommend for you the size 17 Fourstroke 03. By the way I measured the stand over clearance to be about 77cm (30.31 inches).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm about 5'4~" and mine is a 15". I thought it would be too small, but fits me like a glove.
    So a 17" should fit you fine.
    A 17" BMC is about the same as say a 18-19" on a Giant or Specialized.

Plays nice with others
    Thanks for the replies. I actually already bought a Fourstroke a couple months ago, in a size 17", which was the smallest size BMC seemed to offer in the '08 FS03, but the effective top tube length compares to my 15" and 16" inch Marin and Gunnar. Basically, it fits great.

Overall, I love the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Same question, but I am actually on BMC's break point...I am 5'9" (32" inseam) and am in between a 17" and 19" as stated on their geometry file. Any recommendations on which way to sway? I currently ride a 17" Giant hardtail (modified 02' Iguana) and plan to race Xterra next year on the east coast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Huntwood
    Thanks for the replies. I actually already bought a Fourstroke a couple months ago, in a size 17", which was the smallest size BMC seemed to offer in the '08 FS03, but the effective top tube length compares to my 15" and 16" inch Marin and Gunnar. Basically, it fits great.

Overall, I love the bike.

haha love it too, We have the same bike

sambabiker.com
    I am also 5'9" with a 32" inseam and I went with the 17" (click here for pictures). The only change I made since the pictures was taken was to add a layback seatpost. I call this bike my couch.

mtbr member
    I am 5'4" my bike frame is a 15" thats fit size I can control much better in Down Hill and up hill too. my tecnical is fantastic I can fly bunny jump like a 1 feetof height, I made mistake buying size 17... I was riding size 17" I crashed many times beacuse I felt too big, I couldnt dominate rifding a bike.
    I tried to attach the picture I am new here someone can tell me how to attach
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barnold74
    I am also 5'9" with a 32" inseam and I went with the 17" (click here for pictures). The only change I made since the pictures was taken was to add a layback seatpost. I call this bike my couch.

I am 5'4" size 15 the different bike just size love it and my couch

sambabiker.com
    Has anyone noticed any play (very slight in my case) in the upper shock mount? I notice mine when I unweight the bike by lifting the bike by the seatpost.
    What fork travel are you using? I have a 100mm Reba that I am thinking of removing the spacers to up the travel to 115mm. I am hoping this will increase the rake and increase stability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any advice for a new build... just picked up a 17" FS03. I'm curious to what recommendations you all have (fork size, crankset, wheelset, etc.)