mtbr member
    Jul 2006

BMC Fourstroke size question

Looks like there are a few Fourstroke owners on here. I'm looking at getting one and am trying to figure out what size I need. No one around here carries them so I can't just go and test ride.

I have a 19" Jamis not but it seems a little big. I'm 5' 9.5" tall and have a 33" inseam so kind of a short upper body and getting too long a top tube has been a problem in the past.

BMC's website lists a 17, 19, 21, and 23 inch frame. Going with the smallest one they make (17) seems unsusal but it looks like the top tube length is about right. Maybe about 1 cm short but correctable with stem length I suppose. I'm just worred my seatpost will be super long and the fit will be wierd.

Who out there has a Fourstroke and can share some fit experience? How big are you and what size frame do you ride?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Brian

ride hard take risks
    Track down HAB Hardtails Are Better, he works at a dealer that sells them & speaks very highly of BMC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good job!

I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam and was also concerned about the sizing - torn between the 19" and the 21". I decided to go with the 19" Fourstroke and it seems to fit me perfectly. The top tube is a little shorter than my previous 19" frame, so I pushed the seat back about a 1/2" and it feels just right (with a 115mm stem).

As for the seatpost length, I'm running at the half way point on my Easton - with a 17" frame, I'd probably be close to the minimum mark...but, with the smaller frame, you'd shave a few hundred grams off the weight...tough call.

Keep in mind that I am not a "pro bike-fitter", but it sounds like you you'd be better off with a 19" frame and a shorter stem.

Which ever size you decide to get, you will not be disappointed with the BMC. This is one sweet a$$ ride!