mutaullyassuredsuffering

BMC Fourstroke?????

Anyone have any experiences with these bikes? I have unexpectedly found myself without a FS race frame for next season, and I need to make a decision quick. I'm either going to get a new ASR-SL to replace my old one or give one of these a try....

'06 Fourstoke 01 w/ Fox RP3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    The suspension is a lot like a Blur or Intense Spider. It's a VPP type design. Very Very cool. And the frame is very light. In 2007 they'll be launching a full carbon version. But I've heard that it probably won't be available until spring or summer.

I think they're great bikes. They have a partnership with Easton, which has led to some schweet frame construction. BMC is ramping up their marketing in the USA next year. You'll be hearing more and more about them in the future. In Europe they're already a big brand.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Everyone that has ridden that bike at my local shop has fallen in love with it. I actually am building one for my wife. A Fourstroke 03. I don't think you can go wrong with it IMO. It just pedals so well and reacts to the trail so nice.

I expect the build on her 15" frame to come in a 27 pounds even with a heavy saddle and bars (350gr) that are women specific. The cassette and chain are low end with Thomson seatpost and stem, x9 shift/RD, Reba SL, LX cranks, Crossmax enduro wheels and 700 gram UST tires. All said, that bike can be built much lighter especially if you are going with the nicer, lighter frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking of the 03 frame, too. So for you guys that have ridden one, it wouldn't be too much of a compromise as a traditional XC race bike? It's got endurance racer written all over it.

mtbr member
    The BMC is a fantastic bike, i just built one up for my wife, the thing is a rocket ship. I spent some good cash on the parts and the final build came to around 23 lbs for a small W01 frame....i'll get some pics up soon. The bike handles very very well. Tracks, climbs and rips with the best of them. The rear susp is awsome, very efficant. I would say you cannot go wrong with this frame design.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by theheavyone
    The BMC is a fantastic bike, i just built one up for my wife, the thing is a rocket ship. I spent some good cash on the parts and the final build came to around 23 lbs for a small W01 frame....i'll get some pics up soon. The bike handles very very well. Tracks, climbs and rips with the best of them. The rear susp is awsome, very efficant. I would say you cannot go wrong with this frame design.
    Please list the complete build on the bike. I'd like to compare it to my wifes 4Stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    is it just me or does it have a striking resemblance to the giant anthem/trance...

or should i say the anthem trance have a striking resemblance to the fourstroke...

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Stonk
    is it just me or does it have a striking resemblance to the giant anthem/trance...

or should i say the anthem trance have a striking resemblance to the fourstroke...

You must mean they all resemble the ironhorses, MKIII to be exact. They are DWLink like. That said, the BMC has a much different virtual pivot location and the frame is a bit more fancy than either brand as far as tube manipulation and creative machining.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I would get it

They ride awesome!

My first "pro" bike review
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

mtbr member
    Severum, the build goes as follows:
    W01 sm frame
    RS Sid race fork
    Easton Monkey lite flat carcon bar
    Sram xo twist
    Sram xo RD
    Shimano xtr FD
    Mavic crossmax sl wheelset
    Hope mono mini discs 160mm front 140mm rear
    Phil wood ti bb Square t
    Raceface next carbon cranks
    Time attack ti pedels
    Easton ea 90 carbon post and Wtb Devo saddle
    Michalin tires..tubeless
    aluminum and titanium tuned bolts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    They ride awesome!

My first "pro" bike review

Did you ever get a four inch fork on one?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottytheoneandonly
    The suspension is a lot like a Blur or Intense Spider. It's a VPP type design.
    Definitely not. As Severum said, DW Link. Couldn't ride more differently. Love mine (couldn't get comfortable on a VPP), you wouldn't regret the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The sizing seems really weird on the frame, though. The 19" has a short top tube to me at 588mm. The 21" jumps the gap and goes even bigger with a 618mm TT. Typically I would ride a 19", and I measure my reach at about 690mm. For those of you who have built one of these up, which frame and stem would you suggest?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    The sizing seems really weird on the frame, though. The 19" has a short top tube to me at 588mm. The 21" jumps the gap and goes even bigger with a 618mm TT. Typically I would ride a 19", and I measure my reach at about 690mm. For those of you who have built one of these up, which frame and stem would you suggest?
    How are you measuring your reach? What's your height & inseam?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer
    How are you measuring your reach? What's your height & inseam?
    My reach is 690mm. My height is 5'10". My inseam is 35"..

Mythical Creature
    Might stick with the ASR-SL for XC racing, as the time I spent on the similar Iron Horse (MKIII?) style design while a fun, all-day trail bike, was a little sketchy at high speed descents, and a little too twitchy climbing, and just did not have that stretched out race chassis feel.

That DW*Link design is amazing, and the back wheel felt glued down all the time, while remaining pretty efficient pedaling-wise. With a RP3/23 it'd have been a lot better, as the 5th element was tempermental an hard to keep dialed in.

Very different animals! The ASR-SL is way easier to fit, and will offer way better standover if I read the charts right - and indeed, a more race bred front end that RAILS descents and climbs equally well. I can definately attest to the full-throttle, absolutely red-line ability of the Yeti, of course .

Tough call!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    My reach is 690mm. My height is 5'10". My inseam is 35"..
    I won't advise on a stem, as to me that's a personal set-up kind of thing, but with those numbers you'd need the 21" frame I'd say.

I'm 6'3", 620mm reach (measured from center of palm to middle of shoulder joint), 34" inseam. I ride a 21" frame (4" fork w/ 20mm sag, 120 / 15 stem w/ 10mm spacer and lo-rise bars) set up for aggressive cross country trails. Feels perfect on the trail. Stand-over is a little tight for me but with your taller inseam you should be sweet.

I might go with a flat bar for racing but would keep the stem as is.

I disagree with glenzx about the handling attributes, and don't know if the Iron Horse comparison is a fair one. Yeti is pure class but to me the ASR design is trumped by the BMC design in maybe everything but old timer rep.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by CSXer
    I disagree with glenzx about the handling attributes, and don't know if the Iron Horse comparison is a fair one. Yeti is pure class but to me the ASR design is trumped by the BMC design in maybe everything but old timer rep.
    Fair enough, but comparing the geometries of both the MKIII and Azure to the BMC show very similar DW*Link geometries and TT (on the 19" models, MKIII = 590mm / BMC=588) lengths... though the IH has a bit more standover clearance than the BMC - which may not be an issue except for really techy descents where you may want to bail out or stick a foot down and NOT get 'ganked' where it counts...

The main difference seems to be the ST angle on the MKIII is laid further back than the BMC, which may tilt the climbing prowess scales a bit to the BMC, keeping one's weight biased a bit more forward.

Biggest difference remains (a) the suspension design, and (b) the TT lengths's where the Yeti is about 1/2" longer - and has much better standover clearance. I would stop well before trying to claim the DW*Link design trumps ye olde Yeti though, as the RP3/23 shocks make an astonishingly responsive, stiff, light, well-mannered XC race machine pedal very efficiently and stay all-day plush when set to the Medium platform setting. In fact, the DW*Link bikes, and the VPP (rode & raced a Blur for a while too) designs felt almost sluggish for hard, snappy, acceletations. Might have been me - but the short rear on the Yeti, combined with superlative stiffness made for an all-out rocket. I even climbed up onto a STXC podium at a National - on a FS bike, no less - with the Yeti. Hell, the bike seemed to equally well for solo 24 hour races - albeit set-up slightly more cush with bigger tires and such...

FWIW, I'm not racing the Yeti this season - so I'm less biased than you may want to think .

Anyhow - like most things, a properly fit and tuned bike will always work with a strong rider/racer!
    Last edited by glenzx; 02-21-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Anyhow - like most things, a properly fit and tuned bike will always work with a strong rider/racer!
    Word.