Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

BMC Fourstroke 03 Trail?

Has anyone had any experience with the Trail version of the BMC Fourstroke? It comes with 5" of travel instead of the regular Fourstroke 03's 4" of travel.

http://www.bmc-racing.com/bikes.cfm?...atID=1&modID=5

mtbr member
    I bought my Trail frame last week, and the bike is being assembled today, so I will head out on the "maiden voyage" on Thursday and I'll return my thoughts.

I've already spent some time in the saddle of the standard Fourstroke 03, and it is an incredible ride. The only downer was the two-bolt seat clamp, but for my bike I ordered the Maverick adjustable seat post, so all should be good.

Mike

ride hard take risks
    Track down Hardtails Are Better he has some good things to say about them.

mtbr member
    Well, got the Trail build finished on Wednesday night, and rode it for the first time yesterday evening and it is the shiznit. The trail manners and climbing ability are just as good as the regular Fourstroke, but on the way back down you can definitely tell that it has longer legs.

I'll post some photo's this weekend when I get my digital camera back from work. Four of us Fourstroke owners are going to get together for a ride (including a friend who just built his Fourstroke with all Ti & Carbon componentry and came in at 24 lbs.... ).

ride hard take risks
    Looking forward to the pic's.

24lbs with legs!!!

mtbr member
    Well, it's raining today, so I guess I'll post a picture instead of riding..

The bike is working out nicely, just waiting for the SRAM twisters and the Kenda tires to be put on this coming week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Overthebars; 07-01-2006 at 12:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Track down Hardtails Are Better he has some good things to say about them.
    Yessir, the Fourstrokes are great. I havn't ridden a Trail, but the regular Fourstroke handles very very well in tight, twisty singletrack, pedals better than any other FS I've ever ridden with the exception of the Epic. However, unlike the Epic, the rear end *gasp* actually moves when you hit something. At 130# I felt like I was riding a HT on the Epic. Not that that's such a bad thing. Anyway, The Fourstrokes are very nice bikes. The bearings are top notch, and the rear end is quite stiff. The one compliant that everyone has, the two bolt seatpost clamp, is easily remedied by getting a special quick release lever from BMC. The geometry feels very comfortable, with the bike feeling simulaneously nimble and stable decending, while climbing very well too.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Yessir, the Fourstrokes are great. I havn't ridden a Trail, but the regular Fourstroke handles very very well in tight, twisty singletrack, pedals better than any other FS I've ever ridden with the exception of the Epic. However, unlike the Epic, the rear end *gasp* actually moves when you hit something. At 130# I felt like I was riding a HT on the Epic. Not that that's such a bad thing. Anyway, The Fourstrokes are very nice bikes. The bearings are top notch, and the rear end is quite stiff. The one compliant that everyone has, the two bolt seatpost clamp, is easily remedied by getting a special quick release lever from BMC. The geometry feels very comfortable, with the bike feeling simulaneously nimble and stable decending, while climbing very well too.
    Wellwell look who wandered in after the dust settled, what am i going to do with you HAB

..of the masses..
    hi. man that is one beautiful bike. i am very interested in one of those, i was wondering if you knew what the standover was like on the bmcs? i would probably get the 17", based on the tt, but man it would be great to know what the bmc standovers are like. thanks!

mtbr member
    Wellwell look who wandered in after the dust settled, what am i going to do with you HAB
    Sorry, I was too busy riding, as opposed to sitting glued to my computer.

ride hard take risks
    Sorry, I was too busy riding, as opposed to sitting glued to my computer.
    Im job hunting, glued geezzers

mtbr member
    Im job hunting, glued geezzers
    I'm sorry. Good luck with that.

ride hard take risks
    I'm sorry. Good luck with that.
    Ya i know your sorry, your probibly sitting in front of your moniter snacking on Cheez-Its & sorry ya right!!

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    I bought my Trail frame last week, and the bike is being assembled today, so I will head out on the "maiden voyage" on Thursday and I'll return my thoughts.

I've already spent some time in the saddle of the standard Fourstroke 03, and it is an incredible ride. The only downer was the two-bolt seat clamp, but for my bike I ordered the Maverick adjustable seat post, so all should be good.

Mike
    Mike-
    I'm taking a serious look at the trail frame right now and was wondering if you could give some feedback?

I'm wondering mostly about the frame weight, BB height, CS length and pivot durability.

The price is certainly right and frame seems like a real sleeper!

TIA!
    Laek House shirts for sale!
    Support Fledgling American Industries!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tame Ape
    Mike-
    I'm taking a serious look at the trail frame right now and was wondering if you could give some feedback?

I'm wondering mostly about the frame weight, BB height, CS length and pivot durability.

The price is certainly right and frame seems like a real sleeper!

TIA!
    You might want to also hit up HAB he works at a BMC Dealership & if there are any problems those are the guys to talk to.

mtbr member
    Tame Ape,

I've been riding the crap out of this bike and I absolutely LOVE IT. The geometry is perfect and it just handles like a dream. I built mine up for AM, so the weight is around 32 pounds and I know the frame with the rear shock was less than 6 lbs. The pivot is very smooth and durable, the bearings have special built shoulder seats that keep them in perfect alignment. What size frame are you looking for? I can take some measurements for you, but my bike is a 21" (im 6'4" 220 lbs.) and I have a couple of riding budies that are mounted on 19"ers.

I didn't realize the old picture was posted here, so I updated it with the new tires and drivetrain.

Mike

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    Tame Ape,

I've been riding the crap out of this bike and I absolutely LOVE IT. The geometry is perfect and it just handles like a dream. I built mine up for AM, so the weight is around 32 pounds and I know the frame with the rear shock was less than 6 lbs. The pivot is very smooth and durable, the bearings have special built shoulder seats that keep them in perfect alignment. What size frame are you looking for? I can take some measurements for you, but my bike is a 21" (im 6'4" 220 lbs.) and I have a couple of riding budies that are mounted on 19"ers.

I didn't realize the old picture was posted here, so I updated it with the new tires and drivetrain.

Mike
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm most curious about the CS length and BB height. I'm looking at a medium sized frame. I ride XC/AM with a lightish built (5'8" 185lbs) in Northeast tech only.

I did email BMC last night as well, but I want to know now Now NOWWWWW!!!!!

ride hard take risks
    HAB works at a dealer

mtbr member
    HAB works at a dealer
    I was out of town, so he wasn't going to contact me anyway. I don't remember the #s off the top of my head, but I'll look 'em up for you. Bearing duibility is kickass.

And I don't work at a BMC dealer, but we can order them from QBP.

ride hard take risks

... and if we just ...

I was out of town, so he wasn't going to contact me anyway. I don't remember the #s off the top of my head, but I'll look 'em up for you. Bearing duibility is kickass.

And I don't work at a BMC dealer, but we can order them from QBP.
    Well arnt you cool running around with your skirt up. I dont think he really cares, sorry to bother your exclusive name.

Happy 4th bro

mtbr member
    Happy 4th bro
    Same to you.

ride hard take risks
    Same to you.
    Your sutch a sweet heart!!

cdkrenz

Fork Travel

I'm planning on puchasing a new fork. How do I know how much travel I need. I ride a 2001 Trek 4500 and I can't be kept off singletrack.

gainlessly unemployed
    Your sutch a sweet heart!!
    Are you guys a couple?

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by cdkrenz
    I'm planning on puchasing a new fork. How do I know how much travel I need. I ride a 2001 Trek 4500 and I can't be kept off singletrack.
    Dude, a couple of things...

First things, start your own thread, you'll get a better response.
    Secondly, you need to give people as much info as possible. Your weight, riding style, location...
    Thirdly, you might consider buying a whole new rig instead of upgrading a 5yr old bike.
    Fourthly, if you decide to upgrade anyhow, try to stick to stock travel. ie, if the fork is 80mm try to keep it below 100mm if possible.
    Fifthly, look into a Reba or similar Rock Shox offering. The price/value is probably one of the best out there right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast