Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

BMC Fourstroke 03

Whew! It took quite a while to finish this bike but it was worth the wait! This bike was custom built from my other bike parts with some new parts included. The only new parts were the Shimano XT crankset, SRAM X.9 triggers, and Thomson Elite stem/seatpost. The frame I got from online (Thank god for eBay) and presto a Fourstroke 03 for less than $1,000! Suhweet! After 90 days of test riding this bike I noticed 4 simple details about it:

1. I feel tall on it
    2. The rear end is very, very stiff (almost hardtail like)
    3. The bike is super fast uphill (given the right sag)
    4. The frame is more robust than it looks (see rear triangle)

I still need to fine tune the front/rear suspension to get the perfect amount of plush. I haven't taken it to 24 hour endurance races or tight singletrack yet so I'll have to leave that special feedback at a later time. Where are all the BMC owners? I heard BMC is not mass produced so maybe that's a good thing? I'd like to talk to more BMC owners and get their feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbnachos; 11-01-2007 at 04:15 PM.

fried stuff with cheese
    Nice bike.
    I built up one of these for my wife. She loves it. Blows away the Trek Fuel she came off, not that it's hard to do that.
    You don't see them everyday out on the trail. We have a few in our area.

Here are a few pictures of my wife's bike.

Egg

mtbr member
    Sweet build Locotiki. I bet your wife was pretty happy. Where's yours? I live in San Diego and it's too bad there really is no local dealer that sells BMC because they make quality bikes in my opinion. So far in the 2 months testing the bike it's been pretty smooth. Still no enduro or epic rides yet so I'm eager to see what this bike can really do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just got me one of these bikes too.
    Still need to get other wheels . I took it to a pretty rough trail for its baptism this weekend and I was quite impressed. Also still need to play with the settings but just following the basic recommendation is was good already . love the traction ...

see attached black beauty

There are not much of them around , which is a petty , but I guess it has something to do with marketing and brand awareness of people.

mtbr member
    Nice build Minerva, what wheelset were you going to put on? Looks like you have a Fox RP3 shock, what year is your Fourstroke?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

building it

guess I will need another few weeks ( and the end of year bonus ) to decide on the wheels . Not sure yet if I am going for off the shelf or custom build . crossmax would be nice but I have the feeling a good wheelbuilder can put a nice set together too for a better price ( any suggestions ? , I do basically fast all mountain )

Indeed the shock is an RP 23 and I must say I did not regret for a moment. Took it for another spin today on heavy duty uphill stuff and been experimenting with the PP setings . Looks like I got something for every trail type.
    This is the 2008 model , pretty similar to 2006-7 only the FS 02 was revamped this year and lost the twistahlegs in the process.

I changed some parts while negotiating on the price and I got ax XT BB and crankset, Avid Juicy 7 an the Fox for the catalog price . stock it came with an RS Ario 2.2 which I did not trust from the reviews. Wanted the DT Swiss , but they have no network here in Japan so that was a risk didn't wanna take . I also cut the handlebars for my style ( an inch each side ) and put foamgrips by now.

This bike has lots of grip.... I live in Japan and the trails here are pretty.... steep and uncivilised , or should I say , ....unridden , so I am totally in love with the rear grip this baby has.
    Tried the Epic , tried the Anthem , they did not hold up once the going gets rough....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Sag

MTBNachos,
    what sag do you run on the front and rear. I went up to 30 percent this week and the grip was amazing. Not so plush, but good grip , like I want it basically , get some terrain feedback.

at 15-20% it becomes harsh but rails the curves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva
    MTBNachos,
    what sag do you run on the front and rear. I went up to 30 percent this week and the grip was amazing. Not so plush, but good grip , like I want it basically , get some terrain feedback.

at 15-20% it becomes harsh but rails the curves.
    Im currently running 20 on the front and 25 on the back. I still want to tinker with the Reba since there is so much adjustability. On singletrack I would prefer a bit more plush especially in the front. The fourstroke is so compliant and light on hills that you can probably go 35 sag on the rear. I'm gonna try that in a few weeks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

setting the sag

I ran 30 front 30 rear yesterday as a trial and the front was diving a bit too deep on the descents.rear end traction was very good at this setting and claimbing very comfortable , even standing .
    running 35 in the rear was something I was wondering if it could work because on the forums you always see between 15 and 30 percent sag for most frames. But I think you my be right. At 30 the rear end still feels tight and it might handle 35 , not sure about the rebound speed at those low presures though . With 30 in the back I had to set it close to fastest rebound to handle consecutive medium impacts without packing up( like descending stairs on mountain trail about half a feet high each ) . So I hope the 35 sag still handles rebound well . ( it will be the limit I think )
    So my next tries will be 25/30 for better descending and 25/35 as high comfort limit setting. I am trying to find the comfortable sweet spot right now because I am riding pretty tough trails .

After that I like to find a tighter race set-up in the range you indicated .
    The bike is just great, getting more and more fun out of it all the time ( I come from a hardtail )
    greetz

mtbr member
    Yeah I found my sweet spot settings at 20F/30R. Downhill I find myself on the saddle half the time so the 30 sag is welcomed. I think it's perfect for technical XC for me. Also I might try something new like a 1 x 9 drivetrain to shave weight. I'm gonna put a single speed chainring upfront and keep the 9 speed rear, and eliminating the front derailleur. I will have to buy a SS chain guide and modify it to keep the chain from falling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Mine is on the way! UniversalCycles has the fourstroke 03 frames for $736, but only 21" and 23" sizes. I will post pics when I get it built up.

mtbr member
    Congrats! Can't wait to see your build and specs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    Congrats! Can't wait to see your build and specs!
    Well, I'll be moving everything over from my single pivot Diamondback SL Super.

-PUSHed Fox Vanilla fork
    -Full 965 XTR drivetrain w/dualcontrol which I actually like
    -Just ordered from bicyclewheelwarehouse the dt swiss 4.2 and 965 hub wheelset and some Kenda small block 8's
    -Thomson seatpost

I'll post pics when its built

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's a pic of my Trailfox 02 (5")

Build:

Shock: Fox RP23
    Fork: RS Pike
    Shifters: X9 Twist
    FD: XT
    RD: X9
    Cranks: Race Face Deus XC
    Pedals: Ritchey Ti
    FW: Ringle Abbas/Sun SOS
    RW: DTSwiss/Mavic 321
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.35F/2.1R
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7
    Seat/Post: Kore Enduro/SDG I-Beam
    HS: FSA
    Stem/Bars: TruVativ Team
    Weight: 29.2 lbs

I wrote a review the other day. Overall a fantastic trailbike. Climbs great and just eats up technical singeltrack downhills. It would be very easy to build much lighter. Frame & shock are 6 lbs even.

mtbr member
    Yeah sweet bike.. How's that Pike treating you and what's the travel?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Pike is great (140mm). I've got 7000+ miles on it over the last 2 years. I service it every other month.

mtbr member
    Nice, 140mm is perfect for the Trailfox. That's some serious mileage and definitely making use of the bike haha. I was thinking of getting a Trailfox myself and putting a long travel Pike or Fox F in white.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

the new wheels have arrived!!

Hey guys,

Finally found a nice set of wheels. Its' a bit of a classic choice but I am real happy with it.
    they're crossmax SL . no not the SLR's , that is a lot more buck. I must say this REALLY improved the handling, accelerates faster, more nimble, climbs better . ( still need to drop a bit off my own frame too...) the wheels made me so confident I had to use the
    " facebrake " . But 6 stitches in the chin later I still feel pretty good about my new bike and wheels . Now I need to get a new helmet too.... he he . the previous one absorbed the shock by cracking. I can't stop telling people how necessary bike helmets are . this is the second time one saves me from far more serious damage like this': .
    check out the pics.

mtbr member
    Sweet wheels Minerva, how does the acceleration and flex feel if any? Do you plan on racing with this bike? I'm thinking about getting SLR's and changing my drivetrain to 1x9 to save some weight and because I'm bored as hell. Just random FYI I haven't looked at this thread in a while because I'm too busy building a new 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yep indeed , going to race it in marathons, first of june I have a 100 km one.
    as for the wheels, I am not Mr. 6 feet drop or jump so for me these quite thin rims are enough. I actually think they are more than stiff enough. the bike handles and steers better than before. If i go stand on the pedals and apply lots of power or in fast curves I get a slight zzzinggg... from the brake discs so I guess there is some flex there. but hey I am 37 years old and 4 kg over my target weight. the flex is not going to make me loose races .
    ( weight is dropping by a pound every 2-3weeks so going the right direction )

I am getting used to the bike now and I must say , I did 30% more mileage than last year , just because it is more fun...

next change may be the seatpost or handlebar/stem combo . when the funds become available.

More FS03/02/01 out there??, pics pics please...

mtbr member
    Cool which marathon are you speaking of? Hmmmm my guess is you're gonna throw on some Thomson seatpost/stem combo. Always a good choice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hah , you guessed right Thompson being one of the candidates . but haven't made up my mind yet .
    as for the marathon,
    Its the 100 Km challange of mount Ontake here in Japan .

http://www.powersports.co.jp/sda/07_otaki/index.htm

mtbr member
    May 2008
    nasty BMCs you have there. Wanna share mine, by the way, BMC is still in its infancy from where I come from. I just set this up 3 weeks ago and it's not the best setup yet but there'll be some improvements in the coming weeks. I need to get rid of my fork and waiting for my Nobby Nics to arrive

getting rid of the grips...too pink

rear shocks

Looks like a Swiss Knife

Initial Setup

I hope to set this rig right.
    Thanks for looking!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thats a nice version . in red . I saw that on the site but I could only get black over here.
    I hear some good things about the DT swiss 190 damper. let us know how it is treatimg you . I am still interested in knowing other people suspension set up ( sag front vs rear )

One more week before mine gets its marathon baptism . played with slighty comfy settings today and hope to have found the sweet spot between bump compliance and efficiency .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for appreciating Minerva

Tried it yesterday on a clayish muddy trail just a 2 hours pedal from my place. Yes, the DT Swiss performed well though I need to fine tune the settings. My deafult setting for sag based on the rubber indicator is 25% based on my weight. I read around 105 psi on the shock pump. I couldnt say for my front shocks since it about to be replaced and the performance has been so so. I'm inclined to get the SID 2008 (I'm using the 28mm SID currently and the flex is the main issue). Though I'd love to get the Magura Durin but still, from where I come from this is way off the budget.
    What marathon race are you joining?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast