Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

BMC bikes..why such bad resale value?

I had posted a question about the Speedfox in the forum as I was really planning on buying one until I started looking around at BMC more. The fact that you can get BMC frames/bikes for next to nothing after they havent even been out for very long scares me. Why would I drop big money on a new BMC frame that will be less than half price in a few months? Ive found 2009 trailfoxes online for next to nothing, seriously. Why do BMCs seem to drop in value so much? Probably gonna go with a different company now as I just cant bring myself to throw down over a grand on a frame that I know will be in every bike shops blue light special bargain bin in 6 months....also if I ever need to sell I wont be able to get squat for it as used BMCs with insane builds also go for little cash compared to other less well-known brands. Does anyone know why these bikes tank in price so easily? I know its a rough economy and not a good time to be selling bikes but I dont see this drastic drop in pricing from other less well known manufacturers. Is it just because the demand for BMC bikes is so small? Any info on this would be appreciated .
    Last edited by unicron; 01-17-2011 at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i wouldnt buy one if i were you either, besides if too many people start buying them it will drive the resale value up for the rest of us who get to get these high white collar frames at a blue collar price!

mtbr member
    ^ ^ ^My thoughts before reading your post.

Stay away from Mercedes and BMW while your at it since the residual value sucks there as well.
    High end stuff doesnt remain high end forever.
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by j944
    ^ ^ ^My thoughts before reading your post.

Stay away from Mercedes and BMW while your at it since the residual value sucks there as well.
    High end stuff doesnt remain high end forever.
    I think what he's trying to say is BMC being like a Mercedes resells like a KIA. I understand what the OP's saying n oone wants to lose to much on there purchase theres a lot of bikes that actually do quite well in the resale value. Its all supply and demand. Purchase brands people like and you'll get a higher resale.

mtbr member
    Yeah, thats exactly what I meant Dogo. Great Mercedes/Kia analogy. I am not bashing BMC bikes or anything, I am just nervous as I cant demo one.....so if I hate the bike getting rid of it will not get me much in return at all. I have done a complete turn around anyhow and am going to go with more of an all mountain bike with the Tomac Snyper. I guess I will wait for my first BMC and snag one of those Speedfoxes when they are on sale in a few months or so when they are super cheap. Another thing that I liked about the Tomac, 5 emails to BMC over 2 weeks and no response yet....1 email to Tomac and a response in hours. Buying a bike from a company based so far away from the US worries me..anybody have much experience with customer service from BMC?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The customer service is hit or miss dealing directly with them. I contacted them regards to linkage bearings and never got a reply. A friend did the same and got a answer within the business day.

Resale is a funny thing. Most people dont know what a BMC is. I didnt really pay them, much attention till I got mine. It is the best bike I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response yoohoo, what kind of BMC are you riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    fs01. I work in a shop part time and we do not carry BMC anymore. The down market did not provide enough customers to keep these bikes on the floor. Mine is a 08 and I still choose it over the new bikes we carry. Even when I can employee purchase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not sure I agree that BMC's depreciate much faster than other high end bikes. I was pricing out BMCs versus Felt and Titus and it was somewhat in the ballpark. Personally I think anyone is crazy to buy a current year bike vs a prior year closeout (or lightly used). Heck finding BMC on closeout (not counting those in Germany) online is kinda hard. Competitive cyclist has some stuff but other than that I don't see a lot

mtbr member
    I love my tf03 its a 09 got the fame for 400 euro on ebay.de . I think the suspension is just as good as the Giant for half the price its just as good as any other company. Yeah I am with the other guy don`t buy it so the prices stay low for us lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Sell my BMC?

In 2010 BMC set up headquarters in the states. Previously they were imported into the states through a distributor. During this transition I think they liquidated a lot of inventory, so there were many deals to be had. My custom built 2010 speedfox SF03 is the sickest all around bike I have ever had. 120/150 15mm Talas, full 2x10 XTR Trail 26/38 rings and hubs on stans Arch's. 26lb 12oz with trail pedals. Not thinking about selling it any time soon!

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Most people seem to be scared of bikes they've never seen on the trail or heard of before. I merely stumbled upon BMC when I was looking for a FS bike a few years back. The Fourstroke had the exact rear susension I was looking for. When I found the frame and compared the price to similar setups - Turner, Ellsworth, Knolly, etc - the price was half or even a third!! I was lucky enough to have a bike shop in SE Michigan that carried BMCs so I was able to test ride one. Even if I wasn't able to "touch" a BMC, I still think I would have bought the frame. I love the bike and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a lighter 02 or 01!!

I just shake my head when I see what appears to be near new bikes on Ebay going for a quarter or fifth of the price it probably cost the guy to build the year before.

I'm contemplating a second frame purchase, but might just go for a 29er since it appears to be a better fit for the Iceman race in early November in northern MI. I might be able to side in one more bike, but mama will surely notice a pair!!

In the end, I bought my bike to ride it hard for years to come. How I was going to make out when I decided to get a new bike down the road was the last thing on my mind!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey guys,

I also stumbled upon BMC on accident..and liked the brand, build and so on from more research. I really want to buy/build one of these, but i cant seem to find these these super cheap deals anywhere being from the states (Atlanta, GA). Any help ?!?!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    It depends on your idea of cheap Competitive Cyclists had some and ebay.de has some but you need to get it shipped from Europe. But even most the frames that were on ebay.de are gone.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah i was thinking of getting that as my best option, but i dont know how or where to build the rest at...id like to get it as a set if possible and get the fork and wheels. I dont mind getting the build dont professionally at a local bike shop if i can find the parts for a decent price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dparmar3 View Post
    Yeah i was thinking of getting that as my best option, but i dont know how or where to build the rest at...id like to get it as a set if possible and get the fork and wheels. I dont mind getting the build dont professionally at a local bike shop if i can find the parts for a decent price
    Well the best way would be to go with CC and just get a full build. Or you can get something else

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks, any other comparable suggestions?

mtbr member
    How much do you want to spend? What kind of riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    BMC MTB bikes are not a big seller so there are not that many deals around. The only one that is easily available now are the $600 Speedfox frames from Competitive Cyclist but the sizing is very limited. If it fits you, great but if not, then Ebay is pretty much your only option. I looked into importing one from Europe and it's just too much a pain. Shipping kills any real good deals. You are in peak season now so deals are hard.

I would discourage buying parts and paying a shop to build it if you want to save money. It is *very* hard to do this cost effectively versus buying a new bike. I guarantee you will get into the $1.5K-$2K range with decent parts and this is basically what a new bike will cost in the offseason. It is fun to shop around and stuff but like I said, don't expect to save money.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i was looking around $1000, give or take. i live in GA, so the local trails and singletracks, its pretty rocky stuff, a downhill section, freeride, i had a GT Avalanche 2.0 hardtail i took out there, it could handle most of the stuff, the black sections were near impossible and the roots at times tore up my lower back (have scoliosis)..I did love the snappyness of the hardtail and wanted to keep peddle bob low on the F/S, also want to get into 2-3 biking/camping trips and "all mountain" riding along the Appalachian..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    scoliosis
    Jumped out at me. I'm riding a just-built 09 FS02, and I have scoliosis. One of the aspects of the FS02 that is good for me is its short top tube. The BMC feels good with the RP2 and a SID set soft, Race King 2.2s, and a carbon post and Aliante saddle. (Poor phone pic attached.) Great-riding bike, tight and silent; tracks and corners great; don't feel bob. Built light for easy picking up. Not "snappy" with its longish wheelbase, but smooth. BMCs are built for any bike-camping punishment you can give them—good choice for that. All that said, I'm having a hard time sitting up straight enough on a 19" without going full-dork on the stem/bar, so I'm moving what parts I can to a high-front-end 29er. Have fun on the Appalachian!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMC bikes..why such bad resale value?-img_0410.jpg  

Last edited by BadHabit; 06-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    i was looking around $1000, give or take. i live in GA, so the local trails and singletracks, its pretty rocky stuff, a downhill section, freeride, i had a GT Avalanche 2.0 hardtail i took out there, it could handle most of the stuff, the black sections were near impossible and the roots at times tore up my lower back (have scoliosis)..I did love the snappyness of the hardtail and wanted to keep peddle bob low on the F/S, also want to get into 2-3 biking/camping trips and "all mountain" riding along the Appalachian..
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/105-Frames.aspx
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/224...o-Frameset.htm
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=59168
    Last edited by jpeters; 06-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Keep watching Ebay like a hawk. There's a good chance you'll come across a FS03 built up with good components for steal. As people have previously mentioned and I'm sure you've already realized, they are hard to come by, but stay the course.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    drool...that BMC. I found some decent deals on those websites, seems like Ebay is my best bet..hopefully a BMC comes through, or maybe find a steal on another bike and just change out the frame in the future..Thanks for the help. If you guys see anything post away ill be on the lookout.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    This is not a well known brand, that's all. People who buy used high end bikes usually know what they are after, and more often then not it is either some "boutique" brand, or a well known model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast