mtbr member
    Jan 2009

BMC 07 Trailfox 02 frame or Iron Horse MK111 08?

Hey guys,
    I live in hobart tasmania and have come across some stunner deal online for the above bikes at a 1/4 of what we pay here (you guys are so lucky!) but...I am stuck as to which I should choose...
    I like to run some rough fast single track and hit up the 4x track too, but want to be able to ride uphill for hours at a time without dying.
    I'd also like to ride/race enduro events that are multiday events...
    We have alot of hard pack rocky ground during summer but absolute bog tracks and wheel devouring rutts over winter.
    I am 220lb but working on getting back down to 190lb so need something thats pretty stiff. I love railing corners on my hardtail and took a stumpjumper epic for a test ride and was severely dissapointed with it! Brakes crap,rear shock crap,tires crap, only thing I like was the sram x0 gear. Anyways...the setup is as follows bar the frame...

My forks are going to be either pikes or revs with full sram x0 gear ( with the savings I can finally bling it out ) and wheels should be crossmaxs. Cranks are going to be 09 XTs and brakes are tossing up between hayes stroker trails or aces. The juicy ultimates on the stumpy sucked to no end and my 05 HFX9's crap all over them.
    The rest i'll pinch off my 4x bike.
    Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

ride hard take risks
    At this time I would pull IH off the list until there is final word as to whether there will be a IH in the future.

http://forums.mtbr.com/iron-horse/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hmm, interesting you didn't find too much you liked on the Spesh - was it a demo bike that had been pretty well flogged?
    I haven't really heard of anyone disliking the Juicy Ultimates - perhaps there was pad contamination or they may have needed a bleed?

I ride the BMC and although a great bike, it is more a long travel XC bike with similiar geometry to the Spesh Epic, than a relaxed all mountain bike. It is very fast in its handling and will not suit a beginner.
    The frame is very good quality, and i notice minimal lateral flex in the rear, though im only around 70kg all up with gear.
    The rear suspension is plush and active - using a platform shock will only hinder its performance. In this regard, it is quite different from the epic.

Heres the thread i started about my bike, though many others have posted there trailfox's as well as answering questions about the bike:

BMC Trailfox 02

As for the IH, im not sure i can help you there as i've not ridden one.

mtbr member
    I think the MK3 is a better bike, but the future of IH is worth thinking about. I haven't ridden the trailfox, but have it's big brother (superstroke), and I'm... underwhelmed with the suspension. I feel like I need pro-pedal on to control suspension cycling when I'm climbing; some of that is technique, but on my Iron Horse I haven't noticed much bob. BMC bikes all seem to have more 'traditional' XC geometry (steeper angles), even on their longer travel bikes, which is kind of the opposite direction it seems like every other company is going. That alone would make a demo of both worthwhile, if possible.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get the IH and stock up on bearings just in case IH goes under. There is some risk in the possible lack of warranty in the future, hopefully that's reflected in the price somewhat.

GAME ON!
    buy the IH. bearings are available at any bearings shop. don't worry about their future. buy cheap now - it is a proven design and well worth the money. the pike is a perfect match.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

plasma donor
    lol I like the BMC, but I'm not sure anything is up to your local rock gardens.

Found this on Google Earth. Whoa

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dont know anything about the IH, but I owned a BMC TrailFox and even though it worked well, it only worked well for short periods of time. I had the bike for 2 weeks and I started to get some play in the rear. I took it in to the shop and the entire rear of the bike had moved to the right almost 3/8". We sent the frame off to BMC, they replaced the bearings and sent it back.

So now I am back on the bike and the 4th trip out "squeak squeak" from the rear again. I take it back to the LBS again and once more the rear had shifted. So I had it sent off again and this time the replaced the entire bike. When it got back I sold it off. Recently I have been in the shop and 2 other BMC's, a TrailFox and a FourStroke were both having the same problem with the rear. This seems to be a common problem and no offense to the Swiss, but BMC isn't exactly known for their mountain bikes!

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TejasMTB
    I dont know anything about the IH, but I owned a BMC TrailFox and even though it worked well, it only worked well for short periods of time. I had the bike for 2 weeks and I started to get some play in the rear. I took it in to the shop and the entire rear of the bike had moved to the right almost 3/8". We sent the frame off to BMC, they replaced the bearings and sent it back.

So now I am back on the bike and the 4th trip out "squeak squeak" from the rear again. I take it back to the LBS again and once more the rear had shifted. So I had it sent off again and this time the replaced the entire bike. When it got back I sold it off. Recently I have been in the shop and 2 other BMC's, a TrailFox and a FourStroke were both having the same problem with the rear. This seems to be a common problem and no offense to the Swiss, but BMC isn't exactly known for their mountain bikes!
    That's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. I've actually heard nothing but good things about their DW-esque link.That's a little unsettling though as I just got that same frame. The only thing that has worried me so far is the integrated seat post collar. Anyone ever heard of people getting cracks around it?

plasma donor
    Neve heard a complaint on a BMC aside of the dude from Tejas,

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkleyfan
    lol I like the BMC, but I'm not sure anything is up to your local rock gardens.

Found this on Google Earth. Whoa

Lol loving that, I think its called the lost world from memory...only a 30min drive away
    For the money I'm leaning towards the bmc as its $300 cheaper than the IH and seeing as they are having issues its not looking good for spares in the future.
    We have a big BMC following on the mainland so spares and repairs for the bmc are good.
    I hear you about the slack angles too and more xc ride, I love a fast zippy bike and one that responds to small adjustments.
    As for the epic, it was a demo bike. The rear shock was shot it ramped up terribly after a long rough down hill section and had to turn the brain to soft soft and slow rebound right down. It sucked! It also lost air over the two days I had it.
    The avids were terrible too, they had very little modulation and after trail braking quite hard through some pretty rough and steep sections there was a rough grabbing that shook the rear end terribly. I think the pads were just about gone, but still the front brake had nowhere near the bite of my hfx9's.
    The rear end flexed quite a bit too after railing through a few tight turns, dont know if it was the rims or the rear end. I ride a STP1 as my main bike and its SOLID!
    Admittedly the epic climbed quite well on day one and the bob was minimal, I was quite impressed until it turned downhill.
    Thanks for the info so far and it looks like BMC might be out in front, not sure about the rear end problems will wait and see...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've not heard of any quality issues around the suspension linkage, it appears to be very well made to me and quite stiff.

As for the seat collar, i have to have mine quite tight to grip the post, and i think i will convert it to just a straight bolt-on design as oppose to QR.

I have heard of issues with their road frames and cracking around the seat collar area - but that is mostly when hamfisted wrenches are allowed near the bike.
    If you are a competent mechanic you won't have any issues.

I think with this comparison, it really comes down to geometry between the two bikes.