mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Anyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke

I damaged a front wheel and was wondering about buying a 27.5 wheel and putting 27.5+ tyres on it. I don't race, just ride for fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No one huh? Well aren't we the fun?

mtbr member
    If you can fit it in the back you should be fine. The only issue could be pedal strikes due to the 1/4 inch bottom bracket drop.

Might work with 2.8 tires. I'd doubt 3.0s would fit tho. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have 60mm 29" tyre in the back. There is about 8mm of clearance. I don't think that it's safe to go wider. In the front you can use a different fork and go as wide as you like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    running a 27.5 front on my fs01 26'r. Nice LV Pacenti working great with room to spare

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Well I did it

Now running Maxxis 27.5 2.8 Rekon+ front and Ikon+ rear on Easton ARC 40 rims. Feels fantastic. Lot more playful, climbs sandy stuff really well, 1cm lower BB makes bike quite agile. Tyres have lots of room. Fork is 120mm Fox 32, not boost. Anyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bmcnew-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Looks nice. Can you please post some closeup pictures of the tyres clearance both front and back. Especially back

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    Looks nice. Can you please post some closeup pictures of the tyres clearance both front and back. Especially back
    Here you go. Maxxis might end up too tight but OK at the moment (I understand that they stretch).Anyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-6.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-5.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-4.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-3.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-2.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-wheels-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Before and after shots in case anyone interested.

Anyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bike-before.jpgAnyone tried 27.5+ on a BMC four stroke-bmcnew-2-.jpg

I don't really notice the Bottom bracket drop other than the bike is a little more responsive. I have pedal struck a rock but have done that otherwise (large rock).

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Is that a Fourstroke " Trailcrew" edition Ninox ..???

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yes, it has the 120mm fork. I kinda feel a bigger fork would suit me (fox 34) as I am 95kg and could hardly be said to ride with finesse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninox View Post
    Yes, it has the 120mm fork. I kinda feel a bigger fork would suit me (fox 34) as I am 95kg and could hardly be said to ride with finesse.
    Nice, looking at changing to full sus for long distance XCtrail riding and even though this models not available the framesets are so one could be built up...

Just wondering how your finding the bikes handling etc ... ???

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Its a great bike, however the general XC geometry trend is away from this sort of bike (current bikes seem to have steeper head angles, shorter stems). For long distance (do you mean 24hr races or bike packing?) the bike is engineered with quite a long drop. The frame is long, so it encourages a more aggressive posture. I like mine but I also might sell it and get something for riding some of the rockier single track around Sydney. The bike climbs very well and in the right hands its very competent. I think building the bike you want with the components you want is probably the best way to go. In Australia they are not such good value for money new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninox View Post
    Its a great bike, however the general XC geometry trend is away from this sort of bike (current bikes seem to have steeper head angles, shorter stems).
    Thankfully Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, BH, Kona and Scott have all updated the geometry for there new full sus xc frames... Imagine the likes of BMC, Trek, Orbea etc etc will follow suit for 2018 ...

Have test ridden this years FS01 XT and with a pair of 120mm Fox 34s out front would make a very capable allround bike ...