mtbr member

Another BMC Superstroke Thread w/?

I too bought a frame from Jenson. Picked up a 19" Gray/silver. Finished the build on Friday night at about midnight. Took it to the local hill for a day of lift served riding on Saturday. I'm really impressed with the suspension. I didn't do much pedaling, but from what I could tell it pedals well. I think I need to add more air to the shock, I pushed to o-ring off the end of the piston, but I never felt it bottom out.

I only use Thompson posts, I need to pick up a lay back post before doing much XC riding. The cockpit is pretty cramped and I like to be a little further back in relation to the rear hub.

I searched, but didn't answer my question. Where do I get one of the seat clamp quick releases? I searched on google, looked on BMC's website and checked Jenson. I haven't checked QBP yet, I'll stop by the shop tomorrow.

Pics when I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im pretty temped to grab one too.. but damn, 10lbs for a 6 inch frame..

mtbr member
    Congrats on your Superstroke! I take it that you got the '06 cuz the '07 already came with the BMC seatpost clamp. You can also get the seatpost clamp from Universal Cycles for $40 which is considerably lower than Jenson's $60. I howevever did not get one and instead used a Titec Pyroscoper seatpost. I had the main post fixed at a height that is low enough for dh runs.

I've also noticed that the recommended air positive air pressure is a bit low for aggressive riding. My riding weight is 220 lbs. and I'm running 190psi. I also turned the Air Volume Adjustment to 2/5 and I felt that it gave me enough ramp up for 3 footers. At my current settings, I only bottom it out on bad landings, though I never really felt it.
    Last edited by nickgto; 10-19-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

MNTNBKR
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    I searched, but didn't answer my question. Where do I get one of the seat clamp quick releases?
    I bought my superstroke frame from JensonUSA as well, and also just recently finished building it. My frame came with the seat quick release, check again. The description on the website says that it includes the quick release if you bought the 2007 model.

If you didn't get it, here is the link to buy from JensonUSA:http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k-Release.aspx

Heres what my build ended up like:

Durango, CO

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up finding it on Jenson after I posted. I'm still going to see what kind of price I get from my LBS otherwise I'll order it from Universal.

I wanted gray in 19"so I had to go with the 06. I didn't get the quick release.

I'm not sure what it weighs. It's got DH casing 2.5 Nevegals on it now. When I switch it to the lighter casing, 2.5front/2.3back that I run for normal riding I'll weigh it. Whatever it ends up being, It doesn't really matter, it's built with durability and ease of replacement in mind. Meaning, It hurts a whole lot less to replace XT level stuff when it gets smashed to bits then it does to replace XTR level. I ride a 30 pound single speed hardtail so I doubt this thing will end up under 34 pounds.

Whats the difference between the RP3 and RP3? Is it just the air volume adjustment?

I am running about 220psi, with it set at 2/5 for the air volume. I weigh 255 in my riding gear with camelback.

I did increase the positive pressure from where it was yesterday. I think I have the sag where I want it so if I continue to bottom out I'll decrease the volume.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Deviant
    Looking good guys.
    I am ordering my Fox Talas 36 for my superstroke tomorrow. Just upgraded the shifters to X-9 and am running the medium cage X-9 rear. Upgraded the rotors to 203mm front and 180mm rear. Swapped out the 2.35 Nevegal on the rear to a 2.35 Kenda Excavator.
    I'll post some pics after I get the Talas on there.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up finding it on Jenson after I posted. I'm still going to see what kind of price I get from my LBS otherwise I'll order it from Universal.

I wanted gray in 19"so I had to go with the 06. I didn't get the quick release.

I'm not sure what it weighs. It's got DH casing 2.5 Nevegals on it now. When I switch it to the lighter casing, 2.5front/2.3back that I run for normal riding I'll weigh it. Whatever it ends up being, It doesn't really matter, it's built with durability and ease of replacement in mind. Meaning, It hurts a whole lot less to replace XT level stuff when it gets smashed to bits then it does to replace XTR level. I ride a 30 pound single speed hardtail so I doubt this thing will end up under 34 pounds.

Whats the difference between the RP3 and RP3? Is it just the air volume adjustment?

I am running about 220psi, with it set at 2/5 for the air volume. I weigh 255 in my riding gear with camelback.

I did increase the positive pressure from where it was yesterday. I think I have the sag where I want it so if I continue to bottom out I'll decrease the volume.
    Congrats on your rig! Looks nice and aggressive!

The difference between the RP3AVA with the RP2 is of course the Air Volume Adjust which affects the progressivity of the shock and how it ramps up to big hits. Also, the RP3 has 3 levels of Propedal / low speed compression setting (High-Med-Low) while the RP2 has just the on/off setting. The propedal on the RP3 cannot be fully turned off though like that of the RP2 but it still aint so bad cuz these float shocks came with minimal propedal / low speed compression settings from the factory to begin with.

mtbr member
    Nice to see alot of people are taking advantage of Jenson's sweet BMC deal!

I've been riding this bike more than I've been riding my other two heavier rigs and this rekindled my love for climbing. I'm slowly finding myself riding the trails that I only dare ride on my heavier built rigs due to the gnarliness but I'm surprised that it's holding it's own.

My latest transplant was my Hope Mono6 that I borrowed from my other rig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexeo
    I bought my superstroke frame from JensonUSA as well, and also just recently finished building it. My frame came with the seat quick release, check again. The description on the website says that it includes the quick release if you bought the 2007 model.

If you didn't get it, here is the link to buy from JensonUSA:http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k-Release.aspx

Heres what my build ended up like:

Nice ride! Congrats!