2013 Fourstroke FS01 29

Printable View

  • 07-17-2012
    sumgai
    2013 Fourstroke FS01 29
  • 07-18-2012
    hexeis
    This bike is gorgeous! Considering as my next steed!
  • 07-18-2012
    sumgai
    I agree. I have a deposit on a '13 Superfly 100 Elite. Way better kit on this bike even if it is another $1,500. There isn't one thing I'd change on this bike! I already got a new set of Havens ready to go and I'll keep the stockers for backups. I'm keeping my eyes on this one.
  • 07-25-2012
    tootall
    I have been riding the SpeedFox 29 this year and loving it. Geometry will be the same (perfect) but the new carbon frame being stiffer and lighter will make this bike absolutely incredible. Sumgai you mentioned X0 kit, from what I can gather it's going to be XTR, not X0. If it came X0 I would definitely be getting one, the XTR is making my decision very difficult. Also $6500 wouldn't be too bad of a deal for a full carbon frame, solid X0 kit, good Easton wheels, top of the line Fox Kashima suspension. If it comes frame only I may try to do that with the X0 build kit off my SpeedFox, that would be my dream bike. Can't wait to see more details on the bike.
  • 07-26-2012
    sumgai
    BMC's website lists an XO kit for this bike but the photos show XTR. I'm fairly certain they will offer XO on their highest end FS01 29er. Perhaps the new XO group was not available at the time to build their press event bike. I'll be watching this closely.
  • 07-26-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    BMC's website lists an XO kit for this bike but the photos show XTR. I'm fairly certain they will offer XO on their highest end FS01 29er. Perhaps the new XO group was not available at the time to build their press event bike. I'll be watching this closely.

    That gets me all kinds of excited. The only page of info I can find about the bike on their site is this: BMC swiss cycling technology - new fourstroke FS01 29 - 2013 - BMC, Bicycles, Bikes, BMC Cycles, BMC Mountainbike, BMC Cycle It doesn't mention XTR or X0, but does show a picture of the bike with XTR as you said. Where did you see the X0 kit listed? Link?

    I'm really struggling to decide between this bike and the new Specialized Epic Marathon. I've always been a Specialized guy until this year I had a chance to ride the SF29 for a while. I know I love the BMC geometry, and that it would only be better and lighter in the FS01 carbon frame. I've never ridden an Epic, and finding an XL to test will be tough, so it's an unknown. I know the FS01 frame is about half a pound lighter, and the wheelbase is almost an inch shorter than the Epic. Advantages to the Epic are the carbon wheelset and the brain (if that's an advantage).
  • 07-26-2012
    agg1979
    From a source who knows....The 2013 FS01 29 will be available in the US with both XO & XTR builds
  • 07-26-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agg1979 View Post
    From a source who knows....The 2013 FS01 29 will be available in the US with both XO & XTR builds

    :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

    Does this source also know when they'll be available?
  • 07-31-2012
    tootall
    Talked to my shop today, saw some specs on the FS01. Three build levels available, the X0 is my pick. :thumbsup:
  • 07-31-2012
    agg1979
    Word on the street is they will arrive in the US at the beginning of September.....
  • 08-03-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agg1979 View Post
    Word on the street is they will arrive in the US at the beginning of September.....

    Can't wait! Still debating over this bike or the Epic but I just keep coming back to the BMC.
  • 08-04-2012
    sumgai
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    Still debating over this bike or the Epic.

    Don't be that guy. Get the BMC.
  • 08-04-2012
    fullCircling
    noice
  • 08-05-2012
    seleniak
    Guys - any wheelbase numbers for the M and L frame sizes?
  • 08-06-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    Don't be that guy. Get the BMC.

    HA! :) But I see your point. In actuality though, if I get the BMC I will be THAT guy. If I get an Epic I'll be just another guy on an Epic.
  • 08-06-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Guys - any wheelbase numbers for the M and L frame sizes?

    I was going to tell you to look at the geometry of the 2012 Speedfox SF29 here, but I see that the wheelbase isn't listed. Weird. I have it noted as 1140mm for the L on my comparison spreadsheet, but I can't recall where I got that number. I will measure it to confirm tonight when I get home. If that is accurate, the M should be 1120mm since the reach measurement is 20mm shorter and everything else is the same.
  • 08-07-2012
    seleniak
    Thanks Andrew-FSR. Appreciate it. Wasn't able to find wheelbase anywhere
  • 08-07-2012
    tootall
    Sorry I didn't get this up last night. I measured my Large Speedfox SF29, and the wheelbase is 1140mm. From what I have gathered the geometry of the FS01 29 is supposed to be exactly the same. By my logic, since the Reach measurement of the Medium is 20mm less than the large and head angle and chainstays are the same, the wheelbase of the Medium should be 1120mm. Can somebody confirm if that's logical or not?

    Comparing the wheelbase of my Large to other bikes is probably a clue why I like it so much. For example an XL Epic is 1163mm, an XL 429 is 1157, an XL Camber is 1176, the new Occam 29 in Large is 1161, the Jet9 RDO at 1161 and the Jet9 at 1150. Heck my old 26" Stumpjumper FSR (back when it was 100mm XC bike, not the longer travel trail bike it is now) was 1188mm! Along with the Tallboy at 1135mm, it seems the BMC is one of the shorter wheelbases out there for a 100mm 29er. I admit I've never ridden any of the others, but I can't really think of any reasons a longer wheelbase would be better except for going in a straight line, and what fun is that? :)
  • 08-15-2012
    RiDe_BMC
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    Sorry I didn't get this up last night. I measured my Large Speedfox SF29, and the wheelbase is 1140mm. From what I have gathered the geometry of the FS01 29 is supposed to be exactly the same. By my logic, since the Reach measurement of the Medium is 20mm less than the large and head angle and chainstays are the same, the wheelbase of the Medium should be 1120mm. Can somebody confirm if that's logical or not?

    Comparing the wheelbase of my Large to other bikes is probably a clue why I like it so much. For example an XL Epic is 1163mm, an XL 429 is 1157, an XL Camber is 1176, the new Occam 29 in Large is 1161, the Jet9 RDO at 1161 and the Jet9 at 1150. Heck my old 26" Stumpjumper FSR (back when it was 100mm XC bike, not the longer travel trail bike it is now) was 1188mm! Along with the Tallboy at 1135mm, it seems the BMC is one of the shorter wheelbases out there for a 100mm 29er. I admit I've never ridden any of the others, but I can't really think of any reasons a longer wheelbase would be better except for going in a straight line, and what fun is that? :)

    Andrew, you are spot on!

    We've got some of the shortest chainstays in the industry on a 100mm 29er. It's all part of a greater package including short chainstays, a low bb, short headtube/stack height, and a slacker HT angle. All of this really helps keep the handing agile and fun while still giving the benefit of the 29er wheels...cool?
  • 08-16-2012
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RiDe_BMC View Post
    Andrew, you are spot on!

    We've got some of the shortest chainstays in the industry on a 100mm 29er. It's all part of a greater package including short chainstays, a low bb, short headtube/stack height, and a slacker HT angle. All of this really helps keep the handing agile and fun while still giving the benefit of the 29er wheels...cool?

    I love my Speedfox SF29. Such a fun bike and handling is great. Only ask would be a bigger size for "real" tall folks. I am 6'6" and I am making the L work, but with a LOT of seatpost and a 120mm stem. It still rides great though. Of course it's not much smaller than a lot of XLs out there, because of your intent to use a short stem, and an XL would produce a longer wheelbase, so maybe the L is good. I love it. Hoping to get a FS01 very soon.
  • 08-30-2012
    Xizor1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RiDe_BMC View Post
    Andrew, you are spot on!

    We've got some of the shortest chainstays in the industry on a 100mm 29er. It's all part of a greater package including short chainstays, a low bb, short headtube/stack height, and a slacker HT angle. All of this really helps keep the handing agile and fun while still giving the benefit of the 29er wheels...cool?

    Any information yet about a frameset option for this bike?
  • 09-04-2012
    tootall
    Anybody heard availability for the FS01, specifically the X0? Trying to get my hands on one ASAP!
  • 10-02-2012
    tootall
    Any more news on the FS01?
  • 10-02-2012
    Xizor1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    Any more news on the FS01?

    Got info from BMC USA that a frameset will be available in January 2013! :-)

    With a 120 mm fork this could be the ultimate xc & trail bike...
  • 10-02-2012
    seleniak
    Any MSRP on the frame only?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Xizor1 View Post
    Got info from BMC USA that a frameset will be available in January 2013! :-)

    With a 120 mm fork this could be the ultimate xc & trail bike...

  • 10-04-2012
    Xizor1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Any MSRP on the frame only?

    I asked this also, but no reply as of yet. If the frame price is reasonable, this will most likely be my next bike. :)
  • 10-08-2012
    Xizor1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Any MSRP on the frame only?

    Just got information from tomsbikecorner.de that the FS01 frame will be available in 01.03.2013 and will have a MSRP of 2999 € ! (FS02 will not be available as a frameset)

    Let's just hope the actual selling price will be a bit lower...if not, then FS02 complete bike would be a much better option as it is only 500 € more expensive:

    BMC Fourstroke FS02 29 XT wei kaufen bei tomsbikecorner.de

    EDIT: Also got information that the carbon and layout are not the same for FS02 as FS01 so it's not only the aluminium chainstays that are different...
  • 11-02-2012
    tootall
    Twentynineinches has the FS01 on test, look forward to more feedback from them.

    BMC Fourstroke FS01: On Test
  • 11-15-2012
    tootall
    TwentyNineInches has their mid-term report up on the FS01. http://twentynineinches.com/2012/11/...fs01-mid-term/

    Surprisingly little new to say, but they still love it.
  • 11-15-2012
    tootall
    double post
  • 11-27-2012
    TJRosson
    Any news on when this bike will be available in the U.S. market? I was told spring 2013. Is there a delay?
  • 11-28-2012
    RiDe_BMC
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TJRosson View Post
    Any news on when this bike will be available in the U.S. market? I was told spring 2013. Is there a delay?

    Hi TJ, We've already shipped the first batch. The next selection of FS01s and FS02s should be in our warehouse within a few weeks. :thumbsup:
  • 11-29-2012
    tootall
    I'm still waiting on mine. I was told December, but I'm not sure exactly what that meant. Hopefully soon.
  • 11-29-2012
    TJRosson
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RiDe_BMC View Post
    Hi TJ, We've already shipped the first batch. The next selection of FS01s and FS02s should be in our warehouse within a few weeks. :thumbsup:

    Thanks. A person at Competitive Cyclist told me they'd have them in the spring. I thought that was kinda late.
  • 12-30-2012
    tootall
    Got word on Friday that my FS01 X0 size L is on its way!
  • 01-09-2013
    tootall
    I picked up my new FS01 29 X0 last night. It's a size large. Out of the box with plastic test pedals it weighed 24.5 lbs. This is with the heavy Onza tires and tubes. Of course it's raining here so it'll be a bit before I can take it out for a spin, but I can't wait. Having been riding the SF29 since February I'm very familiar and a big fan of the handling. Can't wait to see how the CTD suspension feels, how the carbon frame compares and how the much lighter bike rides.
  • 01-11-2013
    tootall
    Just a heads up: the spec page for the FS01 XO lists the fork as "Fox 32 Float CTD Adj FIT Factory Kashima 100mm". The fork that came on my bike doesn't have the Kashima coat or the trail adjust knob. This was mildly disappointing, but I will say it's the only disappointing part of the bike. Everything else is super sharp and as spec'ed. The black/red X0 shifters and brakes look awesome with the frame. The X0 cassette is so sweet, I hadn't seen one of those before. The type 2 rear der seems like it will really reduce chain slap and drops.The Easton wheels look really nice, even though I'm not planning to use them, and they did include the tubeless valve stems and 12x135 rear axle adapters. The optional chainguide that mounts to the chainstay WAS included so that's a cool feature if you want to use it. I weighed the Onza Canis tires, and though I'd seen reported weights elsewhere of over 800g, mine weighed in at 628g and 648g, which is really pretty good for a meaty 2.25 tire. Can't wait to finish my build and show it off.
  • 01-11-2013
    seleniak
    Andrew-FSR - would love an actual frame weight if you don't mind

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR View Post
    Just a heads up: the spec page for the FS01 XO lists the fork as "Fox 32 Float CTD Adj FIT Factory Kashima 100mm". The fork that came on my bike doesn't have the Kashima coat or the trail adjust knob. This was mildly disappointing, but I will say it's the only disappointing part of the bike. Everything else is super sharp and as spec'ed. The black/red X0 shifters and brakes look awesome with the frame. The X0 cassette is so sweet, I hadn't seen one of those before. The type 2 rear der seems like it will really reduce chain slap and drops.The Easton wheels look really nice, even though I'm not planning to use them, and they did include the tubeless valve stems and 12x135 rear axle adapters. The optional chainguide that mounts to the chainstay WAS included so that's a cool feature if you want to use it. I weighed the Onza Canis tires, and though I'd seen reported weights elsewhere of over 800g, mine weighed in at 628g and 648g, which is really pretty good for a meaty 2.25 tire. Can't wait to finish my build and show it off.

  • 01-14-2013
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Andrew-FSR - would love an actual frame weight if you don't mind

    I don't think I'll ever get it stripped down to frame only, sorry. If I do I'll post the weight though.
  • 01-14-2013
    flupke73
    tested and approved:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    now finding an agreement wiht my lbs to have the ultimate spec
    for my riding
    seems difficult to find full-oem-bikes in my size

    it rides like a DW-link (ouch)
    playfull
    it is a little more nervous in the long/fast downhill then I expected
    (but then I have a coil-sprung 150mm enduro bike as well)
    but the wheels help you over most of the loose branches etc
    for "trial" the geo&29er wheels are superb

    how to finalise spec tomorrow
    and then race it in the Ardennes (.BE) early may:thumbsup:
  • 01-14-2013
    tootall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by flupke73 View Post
    it rides like a DW-link (ouch)

    What does this mean?
  • 01-14-2013
    flupke73
    rear suspension has little pedal-bob,
    damper is not very important,
    stiff
    => GOOD
    although for some rough trails it is a bit less playfull
  • 01-21-2013
    tootall
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's the new build. Still waiting on the new fork, so haven't gotten a final weight yet. The fork on there now is a 2012 RLC, I sold the stock fork and ordered a 2013 CTD w/ Trail Adjust to replace it.

    Changes:
    Roval Carbon wheels
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Easton EC90 110mm stem
    Ergon GS1 grips
    Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11s
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron/Racing Ralph (currently Snakeskins for rocky race this weekend, will be EVOs normally)
    160mm rotors

    Compared to my 2012 SF29, the difference in weight is very noticeable when moving the bike around on the trail. I'm not sure I can feel any difference accelerating (no climbs around here to really feel a difference on) but the handling is clearly lighter. The frame stiffness helps in the corners, I thought the SF29 was stiff but this one holds a line even better. I had been using these wheels on the SF29 also so the differences I'm feeling are in the frame. The rear suspension is plusher, probably due to the new damper with the Kashima coat and the new bushing at the top shock mount. I wouldn't say it's more active under pedaling though, just plusher through the rough. I didn't feel a huge difference between the Descend and Trail positions, but Climb is very stiff, pretty much locked out. Feelings are subjective, but the proof is in the numbers: my first 2 days on the bike I set 8 new PRs, 3 of them KOMs. It's fast.
  • 02-06-2013
    seleniak
  • 04-18-2013
    Jamesm925
    2 Attachment(s)
    2013 BMC fourstroke FS01 XTR.

    hopefully the snow melts soon so I can take it for a ride!

    i'll post up a review in a few weeks time once I get some miles on it.

    It was either this, or the niner jet 9 RDO. But I fell in love w/ the BMC.

    Weight w/o pedals is 22.8lbs (i converted the ounces) for a LARGE frame--well below what i've seen posted for the medium frame. With XTR race pedals, i'm expecting the weight to be around 23.47lbs.

    This is running the race kings tubeless using stan's sealant.
  • 04-19-2013
    atekt
    Great looking bike! Have you had much experience with other full suspension 29ers? I ride the hardtail version of your bike and love it but am curious how this suspension climbs and how efficient it is. I look forward to your impressions.
  • 04-20-2013
    Jamesm925
    This is actually my first mountain bike. I have a road cycling background and come from the 'stiffer the better' mentality. So I was definitely worried about getting a FS bike and having it bobbing under power. There's definitely a lack of stiffness coming from my road bike, but i'm going to say that any bobbing you do notice (with the suspension locked out) is most likely a function of running a high volume tire at a low PSI).

    So yea, this bike is incredibly efficient.


    I finally put in a good 50 mile ride on it today.
    not sure if you're familiar w/ boulder, colorado, but I set out to ride walker ranch and rode up flagstaff mountain road. This is normally a tough climb on a road bike, especially the last few miles.

    I locked out the suspension, and managed to get within ONE MINUTE of my best time on my super light road bike (~15lbs or less, carbon frame, enve wheels etc). I was blowing by people on road bikes.

    On one of the strava segments (flagstaff to walker and back), I cut 20 minutes off my best time on my road bike. Part of this is b/c I ride another 5 miles beyond walker and am pretty spent by the time I come back up the backside of flagstaff road. But a big part of it was that I LOVE the gearing on the bike, and it enabled me to save my legs and spin up the climb.

    I'm not talking about granny-gearing it, but being able to ride the 32x11 seems to be just the right gearing to keep me below threshold and spin up the climb.

    The bike definitely isn't lacking in top end speed either. I have a 12x28 w/ a 53 big chainring on my road bike, and I was surprised that I could power down a lot of the descents.


    I didn't do a ton of technical climbing on the trails, but I did hit a few steep sections.
    I was able to power up the steep, rocky sections pretty efficiently using the trail settings front and rear. If you do a ton of super steep climbs, you may want to consider a 100 or 110 stem. I definitely felt the front get light on some of the really steep stuff.

    I didn't think i'd like the 90mm stem that comes stock, but the bike fits me really well (6.2, 33 inseam, 158lbs). The shorter stem definitely makes the bike feel playful and agile.

    I've yet to run the suspension fully open b/c my route didn't have a lot of technical descents. But the trail mode did it's job admirably (I rode it on the firm trail tune).

    I'm running around 22-24% sag in the rear and a lil less up front b/c I like it to be as close to locked out as I can get it for climbing.

    The rear is incredibly efficient at transferring power. You can power up the climbs in the trail mode. It almost feels more efficient in trail mode, especially if it's a technical, rocky climb.

    I wish the front fork had a lil more of a true lockout, but i'm sure I can add some pressure and get it a lil stiffer. Although i'll probably change my mind on this once the more technical trails dry out. This was probably also compounded by a problem I was having w/ my front tire not sealing up and leaking air during the ride (it lost about 25psi). So i'm sure that had a lot to do w /a the front end feeling less than ideal.

    The XTR brakes are AWESOME, but I probably didn't need to tell you that.

    definitely no complaints about the wheels, but the raceking race sport tires are a ***** to get them to seal. Plan to use 1.5 + bottles of stan's, as they pop up a lot of pinhole leaks.

    If you're on the fence, I would get this bike w/o a doubt. The FS model has better traction than a hard tail, allowing you to run higher pressure in the tires. The rear tracks the ground so so well. The fourstroke is only 1lb heavier than the team elite, which is pretty insignificant considering what the average rider carries with them on longer rides.
  • 04-23-2013
    Jamesm925
    I put in a 75 mile ride on sunday (about 50 miles of single track). The bike can definitely hold its on out there on technical terrain.

    A word of caution: put at least 3oz of stans in each tire (4 oz would be safe). I've gone through 5 CO2 cartridges during the course of 2 rides. at first the front tires was losing air. had a mechanic add more sealant, and now it hasn't lost pressure in 2 days. the rear is beat up pretty bad from the ride, sidewall leaking stans all over the place. definitely going to have to add more sealant. the conti's are super porous. i'd steer clear and mount a different tire like a racing ralph.
  • 04-23-2013
    Jamesm925
    a few other observations:

    if you put 40psi in the tires and lock the suspension, it literally feels like a road bike--it simply does not bob under power.
  • 04-26-2013
    tootall
    1 Attachment(s)
    Finally got my FS01 on the scale today. Weight in Large is 22.48lbs. I was pretty happy. Build list at weigh-in is below:

    X0 drivetrain (stock)
    Eggbeater 11s
    Specialized bottle cage
    Roval Control SL wheelset
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear/Rocket Ron front
    Fox 100mm F29 CTD w/Trail Adjust fork
    Easton EC70 straight seatpost
    Specialized Phenom SL saddle
    Easton EC90 110mm stem
    Easton EC70 XC Wide bar (stock)
    Ergon GX1 grips
    GPS mount
    Attachment 794027