Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you for the comments. I thought about the bike fit session. Problem is that it is high season right now and they are very busy. Regarding fork and shocks - I already made the springs more progressive - spacer in the shock and extra float fluid in the fork. Wider handlebar might be good idea (in fact I went to narrower handlebars (from 720 to 685mm) because I got really good deal on Easton XC70 low riser bars).

I've added picture of my riding position:

I'm open to further suggestions, but I'll probably try the bike fit session.

Epic rider
    Looks like you may need a bigger bike? (sorry).
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Went into the local bike shop that is owned by ex-pro racer. We spent about 10 minutes and I left with 11cm stem and saddle that was ~2.5cm more forward and 1cm higher than before. It felt really good on road and I had much more power. No pressure on hands.

Riding position after adjustments:

It is quite hard to see differences, so I colored the two pictures and superimposed them:

Red is old and bad and blue is new and good. The changes are quite radical. The center of gravity is much more forward and little bit lower. I must try it at trail to see how it feels and how the bike will handle. With 11cm stem it will be probably be very different and not for the good side. I must find some compromise between road and trail riding properties.

rapsac and xuzuohang you were both right: the bike is too small for me and I needed longer stem.

The mistake started with using my old bike that I set up myself as a reference for buying new one. The old bike was also too small - it was just possible to achieve sufficient handlebars-saddle distance by moving the saddle way backwards. But the riding position was inefficent.

Right now with the long stem I have same handlebars-saddle distance that I had on my old bike and in addition, I'm positioned correctly in relation to BB, so the ride is efficient.

The reach of the L-size Fourstroke (456mm) is too small for me to use short stem. I looked at the geometry of some other bikes in this segment. Bikes with XL frame that had bigger reach than Fourstroke were Specialized Epic (462mm), Specialized Camber (466mm) and Salsa Spearfish (458mm). Santa Cruz Tallboy, Niner Jet, Pivot Mach 429, Ibis Ripley and Cube AMS 100 all had smaller reach. So basically I need XXL sized frame in order to use shorter stem. Or XL sized Fourstroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What shock?

I was wondering what shocks are you using on your FS? Do you find the original Fox Triad sufficient or have you upgraded?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good to see u fixed the fitting problem! Ride on!

Most FS01 I have seen by now using the original Fox shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I actually rised the front end even more, running the 120mm 17 deg stem now. Distance from saddle is same as 110mm 6 deg stem, but my sittin position is more upright. Latest change was change of fork. I got rid of Fox CTD and installed Manitou Tower Pro. It is little bit higher than the Fox was, but most importantly it is much better for my weight and riding habbits. I'm just starting to tune it but the first two rides have been just marveolus. Next thing is to get rid of the Fox shock. Right now I'm looking at Monarch, because it is completely user servicable and I can retune it for my weight and liking. Now, when I'm thinking about it - very soon I have only frame and groupset from the original bike left. Already rebuilt the wheels, swaped the fork, saddle, handlebars and stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    your frame is WAY too small if you're running a 120 stem. that's a roadie stem...

I run the stock stem on my large fs01 and have plenty of room.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4