Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you for the comments. I thought about the bike fit session. Problem is that it is high season right now and they are very busy. Regarding fork and shocks - I already made the springs more progressive - spacer in the shock and extra float fluid in the fork. Wider handlebar might be good idea (in fact I went to narrower handlebars (from 720 to 685mm) because I got really good deal on Easton XC70 low riser bars).

I've added picture of my riding position:

I'm open to further suggestions, but I'll probably try the bike fit session.

Epic rider
    Looks like you may need a bigger bike? (sorry).
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Went into the local bike shop that is owned by ex-pro racer. We spent about 10 minutes and I left with 11cm stem and saddle that was ~2.5cm more forward and 1cm higher than before. It felt really good on road and I had much more power. No pressure on hands.

Riding position after adjustments:

It is quite hard to see differences, so I colored the two pictures and superimposed them:

Red is old and bad and blue is new and good. The changes are quite radical. The center of gravity is much more forward and little bit lower. I must try it at trail to see how it feels and how the bike will handle. With 11cm stem it will be probably be very different and not for the good side. I must find some compromise between road and trail riding properties.

rapsac and xuzuohang you were both right: the bike is too small for me and I needed longer stem.

The mistake started with using my old bike that I set up myself as a reference for buying new one. The old bike was also too small - it was just possible to achieve sufficient handlebars-saddle distance by moving the saddle way backwards. But the riding position was inefficent.

Right now with the long stem I have same handlebars-saddle distance that I had on my old bike and in addition, I'm positioned correctly in relation to BB, so the ride is efficient.

The reach of the L-size Fourstroke (456mm) is too small for me to use short stem. I looked at the geometry of some other bikes in this segment. Bikes with XL frame that had bigger reach than Fourstroke were Specialized Epic (462mm), Specialized Camber (466mm) and Salsa Spearfish (458mm). Santa Cruz Tallboy, Niner Jet, Pivot Mach 429, Ibis Ripley and Cube AMS 100 all had smaller reach. So basically I need XXL sized frame in order to use shorter stem. Or XL sized Fourstroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What shock?

I was wondering what shocks are you using on your FS? Do you find the original Fox Triad sufficient or have you upgraded?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good to see u fixed the fitting problem! Ride on!

Most FS01 I have seen by now using the original Fox shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I actually rised the front end even more, running the 120mm 17 deg stem now. Distance from saddle is same as 110mm 6 deg stem, but my sittin position is more upright. Latest change was change of fork. I got rid of Fox CTD and installed Manitou Tower Pro. It is little bit higher than the Fox was, but most importantly it is much better for my weight and riding habbits. I'm just starting to tune it but the first two rides have been just marveolus. Next thing is to get rid of the Fox shock. Right now I'm looking at Monarch, because it is completely user servicable and I can retune it for my weight and liking. Now, when I'm thinking about it - very soon I have only frame and groupset from the original bike left. Already rebuilt the wheels, swaped the fork, saddle, handlebars and stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    your frame is WAY too small if you're running a 120 stem. that's a roadie stem...

I run the stock stem on my large fs01 and have plenty of room.

Epic rider

Re: 2013 Fourstroke FS01 29

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    your frame is WAY too small if you're running a 120 stem. that's a roadie stem...

I run the stock stem on my large fs01 and have plenty of room.
    That was established some posts previously. No point in repeating?
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I finally got rid of the original Fox shock. Replaced it with Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair. It was big improvement.

It is really unfortunate that all Fourstrokes are equipped with such inferior shocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Tootall-

what is your inseam and do have a handy measurement from your bike; BB center to top of saddle? Tks!

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    Finally got my FS01 on the scale today. Weight in Large is 22.48lbs. I was pretty happy. Build list at weigh-in is below:

X0 drivetrain (stock)
    Eggbeater 11s
    Specialized bottle cage
    Roval Control SL wheelset
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear/Rocket Ron front
    Fox 100mm F29 CTD w/Trail Adjust fork
    Easton EC70 straight seatpost
    Specialized Phenom SL saddle
    Easton EC90 110mm stem
    Easton EC70 XC Wide bar (stock)
    Ergon GX1 grips
    GPS mount
    Attachment 794027

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    10,4kg/22,9 lb including XTR pedals and everything in pictures on size L. Some adjustments and it is <10kg/22lb.

Feels quick, fast, stiff and playful

- Roval carbon wheels
    - Onza 2.25 tyres
    - Rotor Rex1 crankset with 34t QX1 oval ring
    - XX1 casette and chain
    - Sid xx fork
    - 3t carbon seatpost
    - truvativ carbon handlebar
    - X1 rear derailleur
    - X1 shifter
    - 3t stem
    - specialiced phenom saddle
    - XTR xc race brakes

Bmc says that there is internal cable routing for the rear suspension remote, but I haven't seen anything but little holes for shimano electric gear shifting. So tried to route the hose there Time will tell how it works in action.

2013 Fourstroke FS01 29-img_0659.jpg2013 Fourstroke FS01 29-img_0660.jpg2013 Fourstroke FS01 29-img_0662.jpg

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    I finally got rid of the original Fox shock. Replaced it with Rockshox Monarch RT3 Debonair. It was big improvement.

It is really unfortunate that all Fourstrokes are equipped with such inferior shocks.
    I'm looking into changing the shock also, but don't mind it being a Fox as long as it has remote levers. what are the specs of our shocks? Can't find them anywhere...(Fox CTD Kashima)

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonrockstar View Post
    10,4kg/22,9 lb including XTR pedals and everything in pictures on size L. Some adjustments and it is <10kg/22lb.

Feels quick, fast, stiff and playful

- Roval carbon wheels
    - Onza 2.25 tyres
    - Rotor Rex1 crankset with 34t QX1 oval ring
    - XX1 casette and chain
    - Sid xx fork
    - 3t carbon seatpost
    - truvativ carbon handlebar
    - X1 rear derailleur
    - X1 shifter
    - 3t stem
    - specialiced phenom saddle
    - XTR xc race brakes

Bmc says that there is internal cable routing for the rear suspension remote, but I haven't seen anything but little holes for shimano electric gear shifting. So tried to route the hose there Time will tell how it works in action.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	948097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	948098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	948099
    That bike has to be lighter...I have a similar set up, but with heavier wheels and 1x10 at 21.9...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    I'm looking into changing the shock also, but don't mind it being a Fox as long as it has remote levers. what are the specs of our shocks? Can't find them anywhere...(Fox CTD Kashima)
    What you mean by spec? The shock is 200mm eye-to-eye and 50 or 51 mm stroke or 7.825x2in

You want low compression tune and medium rebound tune. Adding the spacer into air chamber makes the spring more progressive - personally liked it.

Always pushing harder!!!
    I needed those numbers (200mm and 7.835x2in) to start shopping...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That bike has to be lighter...I have a similar set up, but with heavier wheels and 1x10 at 21.9...
    My scale is cheap (not in picture) and maybe not so reliable, but if there is on size L about 500grams difference between your bike, I think that could come easily on different components.

I am coming under 10kg/ 22lb if I want to change example:

- Onza tyres
    - Saddle
    - rear and front thru axle
    - rear disc rotor
    - gribs

CTD remote is also about 100 grams. I understood that you don't have one?

My 2015 L size frame weighted with all hardware ( without shock remote, bb, headset bearings) 2,23kg/4,91lb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Fourstroke FS01 29-10669157_10153372006953154_844237429627703514_o.jpg  

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonrockstar View Post
    My scale is cheap (not in picture) and maybe not so reliable, but if there is on size L about 500grams difference between your bike, I think that could come easily on different components.

I am coming under 10kg/ 22lb if I want to change example:

- Onza tyres
    - Saddle
    - rear and front thru axle
    - rear disc rotor
    - gribs

CTD remote is also about 100 grams. I understood that you don't have one?

My 2015 L size frame weighted with all hardware ( without shock remote, bb, headset bearings) 2,23kg/4,91lb
    Mine is set up like this:
    Stock frame, fork, schock, handlebar, brakes and seatpost.
    Rotors - KCNC 160mm about 76g
    Wheelset - Stans Crest/Industry Nine Torch hubs/32 spoke - 1558g
    SRAM XX 11-36 cassette
    Schwalbe RaRa - about 558g each
    Selle Italia SLR Flow - 171g
    No front shifter and DR
    36t X01 ring
    KMC X10SL chain
    Elite bottle cage - 43g or something like it
    Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11

I'm not a WW and will never sacrifice weight for durability.

My Onza Canis weighted aroung 615g each, and I still have them on another wheelset for daily use. That set up has a SRAM XG 1080 cassette ans Stans Crest wheelset. I also switch pedals to Eggbeaters 3 and it comes at 22.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine is set up like this:
    Stock frame, fork, schock, handlebar, brakes and seatpost.
    Rotors - KCNC 160mm about 76g
    Wheelset - Stans Crest/Industry Nine Torch hubs/32 spoke - 1558g
    SRAM XX 11-36 cassette
    Schwalbe RaRa - about 558g each
    Selle Italia SLR Flow - 171g
    No front shifter and DR
    36t X01 ring
    KMC X10SL chain
    Elite bottle cage - 43g or something like it
    Crankbrothers Eggbeater 11

I'm not a WW and will never sacrifice weight for durability.
    I am a bit WW but still want quality and durability cause I am heavy rider. But now I can see weight difference with our bikes. Your rotors, cassette, tires, saddle and eggbeaters make the difference

Also you before mention that my wheels are lighter. Yes, only 50 grams but they are awesome and best investment yet.

Always pushing harder!!!
    All the parts were moved from an bike the was sold...I kept them for racing only. I prefere the durability of the stock parts, but not when racing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I understand.

I have to make bit compromises between light-durability components when I am racing cause I'm heavy and "aggressive" racer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4