mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2013 BMC Fourstroke w/ Fox Float iCD

The BTR2 internal battery works flawlessly with the iCD setup. didn't even need to update the firmware or anything. It's super stealth; keeps the battery out of the elements. You can't even tell it's an electronic setup unless you look closely.

I used this 1/4 in rubber foam tape from the plumbing dept at the local hardware store and added some double sided tape on the end, then twirled the battery into my easton ec90 seat post. It's super snug, but can be pulled out pretty easily if needed. dont even really need the double sided tape to be honest.

you'll also want a short (around 150-200mm di2 connector wire to go from the iCD switch to the 3 port terminal). The battery comes with a 'dummy plug' you can put into the middle port hole so water doesn't get in.

Charging is a little annoying since you have to plug it directly into a computer w/ a USB port (or one of those new wall outlets w/ a USB port).

hopefully Fox picks up on this and starts providing it as an option instead of the clunky, outdated external battery.

most MTBs come with internal routing for a dropper post and remote shock lockout.

for a large BMC, you need a 1400mm wire connector for the shock to fork, and around 1000 for the shock to the internal battery.

you also need a 300 from the fork to the junction box, and a 100-200 from the junction box to the iCD switch.

it sounds like it's a lot of wiring, but it can be done to look way cleaner than any external, analogue remote lockout.

I tested this out at our local short track race, and it makes a MASSIVE difference in being able to get out of the saddle and sprint, and then open it up for technical sections.

I can get out of the saddle and put the power down again, sprinting instead of mashing while seating and having to lose power from Trail mode soaking up my efforts.

IMHO, Fox's iCD system is a better performance upgrade than even a pair of lightweight Enve wheels. It essentially eliminates ANY loss of power due to suspension bob. My bike is already very efficient w/ the suspension open; but, it doesn't matter how efficient your bike is, they all will bob around and rob your power when you try to sprint out of the saddle.

sure, you could go w/ a brain system, but that's not exactly plush from what i've seen.

previously, I could only managed to run it in trail mode, lock the front on climbs, switch back to trail on descents.

the bike was all over the place when I would get out of the saddle, and I also ended up running around %15 sag w/ a really stiff shock to add in the extra platform lacking in the 'descend' setting on the 2013 CTD shock and fork.

the 2014 shock and fork have way more platform built in, so: 1) you can run less sag b/c it's not needed, and 2) the iCD lets you run it even more plush b/c you can firm it up so quickly.

with my 2013 CTD shock and fork, I was running around 95 PSI front/rear.

Now, i'm running around 65 and am not even using all the travel popping off jumps and wall rides at the local bike park.

This setup is fantastic for races, especially short track and XC races with lots of quick changes from technical sections to even shorter, smoother single track or fire roads. It's also very effective on flow trails that you can ride like a pump track.

anatolian shepherd not included

bikerpilot
    Very nice. How much weight did it add? I'm sure it's worth it just wondered about the system.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    not rly sure about the weight. the internal battery is about 60g lighter than the external. it's a pretty insignificant weight gain, especially considering how light the bike is.