mtbr member

2010 Speedfox thoughts and help.....

Hello all, I am in the market for a new frame after being away from mountain biking for over a year now. The Speedfox from BMC has caught my eye as a potential frame as I have found a great price on one and have always enjoyed the quirky looks of BMC. Finding much info on the bike has proven difficult however so if anyone can fill me in on the handling, ride capabilities and suspension feel I would sure appreciate it. I cant even seem to find a frame weight anywhere. My last bike was a Chumba VF2 and I was not happy with it at all and it got sold rather quickly. Just could not find a way to get it set up right without feeling like I was getting robbed on climbs all the time. There is alot of climbing where I am so its abilities on the steeps will be very important but if the bike cant take abuse thats no good either as I am pretty rough on my bikes. One of my concerns is that the BMC will not be stout enough when I get in the rough stuff compared to the other frames I am looking at. I never really see BMCs being touted as tough as nails so thats a concern. I did read somewhere that the BMC is fast going up but cant find much info on how it behaves going down. There is alot of groomed singletrack here but I always try to find the most technical trails as I love tech trails the most. Would the BMC be a good fit in super rocky and rooted terrain or is it more suited for swooping singletrack style riding? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Where do you live?? The speed fox is great !! climbs good very stiff its just a good bike the suspension is the best part it just works so good plus the fox shock has pro pedal for climbing. I think my bmc goes up better than my hard tail. As far as what kind of riding it can do it all I would get it I love my bike.

Mojo MadDuc
    Unicron,

I have been on my BMC Fourstroke 02 for about a year now. I have destroyed seveeral frames in the past and I am hard on bikes as well. The terrain in Austin can be very technical, lots of rocks, roots, drops and rock gardens and really hard on frames. I am 6'3 and 240 so I am not delicate. I have found the the BMC Fourstroke (shorter travel) to be a very capable climber, very stiff, holds a line very well and it handles like a scapel, while still being very duurable. I have not ridden the Speedfox, but I would expect a similar review of the longer travel version. The quality of these bikes is excellent, the service through my LBS has been awesome and I don't think you will be disappointed in the quality and reliability. Hope this helps.

MD916
    MadDuc916
    2011 Voodoo Canzo 29'er