mtbr member
    Mar 2010

'10 Spark or '09 BMC Trailfox 02

LBS carries Scott and is offering the Spark for $1850. I can get the Trailfox online for $1300. I'm looking for a cross-country machine that's durable and reliable. Can anyone tell me why I should consider the Spark over the Trailfox 02?

NedwannaB

Which Spark model?

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt21
    LBS carries Scott and is offering the Spark for $1850. I can get the Trailfox online for $1300. I'm looking for a cross-country machine that's durable and reliable. Can anyone tell me why I should consider the Spark over the Trailfox 02?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just want to know if I should consider the Spark, specifically a Spark 50, over the Trailfox 02. I really like to support my local LBS, plus I was able to ride the Spark and the twin lock set up is nice. I'd be going blind purchasing a Trailfox 02. Just looking for some input from Scott and/or Spark owners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have both (and a few others as well wife complains about too many bikes all the time )... a Spark Ltd and a 2009 TF02 they are very different beasts. The spark is very much a racing machine and is not at home on really rocky terrain. The Spark 50 will be a bit more forgiving as the Ltd is made light (mine is 19 pound) and twitchy. All sparks are fantastic at climbing and will outsprint anything. My spark is 100mm travel front and 110mm rear. My TF02 is a 2009 with 120mm front and back it is build with Reba team forks a DT Swiss rear shock and XT groupset... weight is 28 pound. The rear suspension is very good on the TF and you can pedal through rough stuff and the suspension still works on braking which the Spark finds difficult to cope with. Both are good but different... which one is better depends upon your riding style and terrain... If it is your only bike and you are not going to race it then the TF is a great ride... I could not live with the Spark Ltd as my only bike (mainly due to the integrated none adjustable seat post) I suppose I could get by with a Spark 50 but my TF gets more saddle time from me than both my Spark and my Nicolai Helius.

Hope this helps... David.