mtbr member

ZTR Crests for bikepacking??

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get some new wheels that can do both MTB endurance races and Bikepacking. I was wondering if anyone has used Crest's for bikepacking and if so how have they felt? I was looking at the ZTR Arch as well but keep hearing how great the Crests are for racing and such! I've asked a few friends and they say they love them! I would most likely buy them with the Stans hubs and DT Swiss spokes. I'm 145lbs and and would be carrying abound 15lbs.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    -----
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If you're that light and don't carry heavy loads, why not. Do note they are lightweight racing rims. For bikepacking I'd definitely choose something more rigid, like Arch EXs. You probably won't notice the extra weight, but when you're out there with a bent wheel you will notice the difference. I have Crests on my rigid 29er, but I don't go out in the wild with it. Just some short trips around the local central park and the occasional race.

mtbr member
    Much as Saul says. When I was choosing I opted for Arch EX for a more robust wheel. I reckoned it would be worth it if I was miles from anywhere to avoid some potential wheel catastrophes.

I currently ride Crests and would not want to take them on extended bikepacking outings. I would opt for something like Flow (EX). I'm starting to like wider rims for the 2.2+ tires I usually put on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got Flows laced to your basic XT hubs on my Fargo and have been very pleased. I'm a 200lbs guy and after ~3000 miles of beating the crap out of them they are still going strong. At your weight you could probably get away with the Arches.