mtbr member
    Nov 2011

XC or downhill in Dubai??

Has anyone ridden in or around Dubai? Considering moving there and really hoping there's some good trails or places to ride in that area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've worked there on and off, the bad news is it is far too hot from May till Sept / Oct and Dubai / Abu Dhabi itself is flat and featureless, sand, dust and concrete, not very inspiring. However there are the Al Harjar mountains in Ras Al Khaimah / Fujiarah (bout 2 to 3 hours drive), but never ridden there. Better is Oman next door which is very mountainous and there is a small scene, during the cooler periods (October to March) there is great potential there, it is about 3 to 5 hours drive from Bur Dubai to Muscat depending on how messed up the traffic / border is (there is always loads of nonsensical red tape to go through at borders in the Gulf, even worse than LAX).
    These guys are worth contacting Oman Bicycle Shop | The hottest bicycle shop on earth . they can help put you in touch with the locals / expats who go riding. During the cooler seasons when I was there, it seemed like most weekends there were guys going out, riding - but that is a few years ago, not sure now, I imagine it's still going strong though.

Cumbria, England.
    mvt20ten - What is it that's drawing you to Dubai? Work and money? Have a read of this thread on STW: Working in Dubai - good thing or bad.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -