mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Whistler vs. Vancouver

I want to plan an epic bike trip in British Columbia. From my understanding, Whistler and Vancouver are two popular hot spots up there for gettin' some dirt under the 'ole tires. I'm mostly looking to do some bike park and maybe some big mountain runs via heli (nothing too crazy though). Any recommendations for which would be better and why? Cost is definitely an issue too, so anything about that would be relevant. Another side note: I'd like to leave my girlfriend at the dog park while I'm out riding, so any recommendations about good puppy action is definitely relevant too. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Are you into downhill or cross country? Vancouver doesn't have heli runs or much in the way of bike parks. You basically ride up the roads on the North Shore and ride down the trails, or if you are a good climber you can ride some trails up. Whistler is more set up for bike parks, they have trails everywhere. Don't rule out Squamish, it has tons of trails and varied terrain. Accommodation will be cheaper and probably easier than either Whistler or Vancouver. Depending on when you go, Whistler may be too cold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely more interested in downhill. I'll have to check out Squamish. I'm planning way ahead, probably try to go sometime next summer. When's the best time to go? Not sure what the crowds are like, but I'd definitely like to beat 'em.

mtbr member
    If you check in the Western Canada Forum there will already be a bunch of Whistler info posted plus a much higher concentration of members with useful info than in this Bikepacking/Touring Forum.

Western Canada
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com