mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Where are Your Expedition Trails?

I really enjoy camping and hiking, and would like to try this on a bike, but I'm unaware of any place in Texas that allows for 2-3 days of riding and camping as well (w/o looping). Where are you guys hitting it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Here is a thread on bikepacking in Texas:

Bikepacking in Texas?

I am familiar with West Texas, including Big Bend State Park and Big Bend National Park (not the same place). I have camped there and day ridden, but no bikepacking. Also, Palo Duro Canyon up in the panhandle is supposed to be very nice. Not sure where you are though.

In general, I look at Forest Service land a lot because I know I can camp there. Wilderness areas are out (no bikes allowed). I then will look to see if there is any info on backpacking/hiking in those areas (trail guides/info/maps) and take things from there. I am in New Mexico, so most of our public land is Forest Service.

Once I have identified an area I want to explore, Google Maps or other detailed aerials are my friend as are USGS maps. Toggling between USGS maps and the aerials can really help identify what roads/trails are actually on the ground. I don't have a GPS so I try to familiarize myself with an area and print out detailed maps/aerials with good notes. And I bring a compass. I also try to be prepared for things looking different on the ground than they did from the aerials.

Personally, I usually ride a loop so I don't have to run a shuttle back to my vehicle or coordinate being picked up. For long rides, I don't even mind out and backs if it is a long enough journey. Things never look the same going the other direction anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks wahday, very helpful info. I like the non-shuttle idea and hope to find some really long loops.

mtbr member
    Big Bend NP and Big Bend SR