mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Where would you go? Mid November to Christmas

If you could bike tour/pack anywhere in the world from the middle of November until Christmas (around 5 weeks) where would you go? why?

For perspective my previous trips at this time of year have been:
    2009: Road Tour Taiwan
    2010: Dirt Road/Road Tour New Zealand South Island with fishing gear.
    2011: Dirt Tour Chile. Tierra del Fuego and Lakes District.
    2012: ??

Thanks everyone for your input, just looking to gather some interesting ideas.
    Adam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was asking the same thing, I decided on the south of India (east of Kerala). Going up into the hills to ride some passes and go do some mountainbiking. Weather is good and it is populated enough that you can do it without much stuff (food for a day or two at a time only and no cooking gear).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    South Africa seems awesome.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Oops just posted my suggestion here;
    Where would you go? Mid November to Christmas.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    How about Nepal and or Bhutan?

I've been to Nepal and it's awesome and Bhutan is on my bucket list.

Woody

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    2009: Road Tour Taiwan
    2010: Dirt Road/Road Tour New Zealand South Island with fishing gear.
    2011: Dirt Tour Chile. Tierra del Fuego and Lakes District.
    Nice trip list!
    I'm planning to ride in Taiwan this November - where did you go? I'd like to go over the Hehuanshan pass into Taroko gorge, ideally some dirt roads too, but open to ideas.

Sorry I can't offer any ideas for your next trip from experience, but Kerala does look amazing and having been to Nepal on foot in spring, I'm really keen to return on my bike (March '12, maybe) - not sure what it's like late in the year though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions.Bhutan seems really interesting woody.1.

Thank you for the comment james-o. I've been fortunate to have/make the time visit some interesting places. Bikepacking trips have been omitted from the list but the Colorado Trail this August was an incredible and challenging ride, definitely a must do for any bike packer with a hunger for a challenge.

I started in Taipei (just outside to avoid the traffic) and zig zagged my way all the way to Kenting down the east coast then rode up to a friends place in Tainan. Send a message or personal email and I can help you out with beta if you're interested. The people were incredible and everyone is so pumped on riding, it was great. Taiwan is a definite hidden gem for riding. You'll have an amazing time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks - PM sent. I've been to Taiwan many times (bike industry work) but only ever hiked, bivied or short rides. Look forward to a bikepack trip there, it's an amazing place in every way and the reaction from locals when you say you sleep outdoors with no tent never fails to amuse me )

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If I was to do a trip in Australia during that time,

I'd follow the Bicentennial National Trail from Canberra to Providence Portal. Then take the Grey Mare Fire Trail into the Jagungal Wilderness, past Mount Jagungal and descend to Island Bend and then continue downhill to Jindabyne. From Jindabyne follow the Snowy River along the Barry Way to McKillops Bridge on the Victorian Border and then towards Little River and Tubbut turning off to cross the rain forests of the Errinundra Plateau. Then continue down hill (still) to link with the East Gippsland Rail Trail to Orbost. Possibly visit, Cape Conran on Victoria's Wilderness Coast and Paynesville and Raymond Island (many Koalas, many, nearly in every tree on Raymond Island) on the Gippsland Lakes. Then make your way through the Gippsland Lakes and perhaps to the 90 Mile Beach then towards Melbourne.

The reasons: because you are ahead of the regions' fire season and ahead of the school holidays on this route. There is plenty of found water on this route. There has been good deep snow this winter and excellent rains, all year. Pristine free campsites are everywhere. Some of the most spectacular wilderness country SE Australia has to offer is on this route and there is plenty of stuff about this type of off-road touring in the regions on crazyguyonabike. ... for researching this trip.

Canberra is the bike Capital of Australia and has the World Championship and World Cup Mountain Bike courses at Mount Stromlo, not far if riding from the city centre. You could kill a few days at Stromlo. There is excellent resupplying in Jindabyne and Orbost and Paynesville. Orbost like Canberra has good bike stores but best of all you will see very few people but see lots of wildlife ... but you must stay ahead of the school holidays.

You will have about a week of school holidays to contend with, at the end of December, approaching Melbourne but Aussies travel mostly after Christmas. If the traffic was heavy on the back roads approaching Melbourne, hop on a train.

The hottest part of an Australian Summer is during January and early February. Travelling in the Australian Alps when you're intending to travel, with the altitude, the summer temps on this route will be milder than the lowlands during the day and the nights will be cold(ish) until you reach the Victorian Coast.

If you were to start this trip in the reverse direction, Melbourne to Canberra, the trip is up hill.

I hope that this helps.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Pedaler
    A shameless plug here. I work for a company called Bike Tours Direct. We have a lot of amazing tours to choose from, including Nepal and a lot more.

Just wanted to make you aware of some pretty cool options...

mtbr member

Baja...

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    There's a huge list of tour on the biketoursdirect website. Thanks for that Nimblewill. Too many choices not enough time in this life!!

I think I've settled on a place, but I'm still reviewing a couple ideas. Believe me Vik Baja was way up there on my list this year, I scoured your blog and found a bunch of good stuff.

Pedaler
    Let me know if I can be of any assistance in searching through all the BikeToursDirect tours. The site does have some nice search capabilities. Also, you may want to continue to check back from time to time as we are always adding new operators and tours.

I like your annual epic bike vacation. It's such a great way to vacation.