Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dan p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    79

    where to pack your sleeping bag?

    hello all, just wondering where folks put their sleeping bags if no racks are being used. below is a pic of my current bikepacking set up, and I'm using an old man mountain rack that has my one person tent, sleeping bag, and pad bungee cord-ed to it.

    it's not a bad set up, but if I could save some weight, I'd consider a revelate sweet roll, or something along the same lines. my main concern would be as to whether or not I could fit the contents of my front rack in the sweet roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to pack your sleeping bag?-img_0980.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lextek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    171
    I don't think all your gear would fit in/on sweetroll style carrier. I could be wrong.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,038
    Harness and drybag, upfront, holds my sleeping pad folded lengthwise and then rolled to the shape of the bag as a stiffener and my bag stuffed inside along with camp clothes and anything else I might have that compresses.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    106
    Sleeping bag in my Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag. Not much room left for anything else in the Carradice's main pocket. Still, the load is snug and steady.

    Tent wrapped up in my sleeping pad in a Revelate Harness out front. They look like they were all custom made to go together like that. Stable and secure, but bulky.

    Frame bag in the middle to hold food, etc.

    Looking for a way to make my sleeping setup smaller. It all just takes up too much room. I'm sure that a modern sleeping bag will be less bulky than my trusty 30-year old Cat's Meow. And I don't need a two-person tent just for myself. Working on ideas...
    Spinymouse

    11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    540
    I would put it in a sack then strap it to the side of your front rack like I did. This is a big sleeping bag for winter conditions mind you so yours will probably be smaller.

    where to pack your sleeping bag?-dsc_3930_004.jpg

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9
    Depends on the season. For warmer temps (40-50F) my 800fill down bag goes in my seat bag in a waterproof stuff sack as needed. It's the size of a Nalgene bottle, so for really wet trips like my recent ride in Iceland, it goes inside my waterproof backpack with my camera gear, etc.

    Normally, for cold weather riding (0-20F) it goes on my bars in a Bedrock Bags Entrada bag.

    I will also admit, I go extremely light when possible.

    where to pack your sleeping bag?-img_2843_zps6b1dbf9c.jpg

  7. #7
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,560
    See this trip report for details, but tl;dr version is that my sleeping bag goes in the seat bag because that's pretty much the only place it will fit.

    I'm in the Washington cascades where it can get down to the 30s w/ sideways rain/sleet any night out of the year, so I use a Marmot Helium. It's a fairly common choice for a 3 season bag for women 'round these parts.

    I'm envious of the microscopic bags seen in all these trip reports... until I'm crawling into my magic puffy down cloud on a cold night, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    88
    *Sleeping Bag inside the bivy, tarp, cook pot and stove (when used) go in the seat pack.
    *Clothes go in the handle bar roll.
    *Tools, tube, stans, steripen, toiletries, wind layer, go in the frame pack.
    *snacks, sunscreen, sleeping pad (this time) went in the bar pouch.
    *food and bear spray in the back pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails where to pack your sleeping bag?-adam-chilcotins-set-up-august-2014.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    See this trip report for details, but tl;dr version is that my sleeping bag goes in the seat bag because that's pretty much the only place it will fit.

    I'm in the Washington cascades where it can get down to the 30s w/ sideways rain/sleet any night out of the year, so I use a Marmot Helium. It's a fairly common choice for a 3 season bag for women 'round these parts.

    I'm envious of the microscopic bags seen in all these trip reports... until I'm crawling into my magic puffy down cloud on a cold night, lol.
    I fit a down 30d bag and insulated pad and more into my front harness / bag. Carry a Tarptent, usually in the seat bag.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post
    *Sleeping Bag inside the bivy, tarp, cook pot and stove (when used) go in the seat pack.
    *Clothes go in the handle bar roll.
    *Tools, tube, stans, steripen, toiletries, wind layer, go in the frame pack.
    *snacks, sunscreen, sleeping pad (this time) went in the bar pouch.
    *food and bear spray in the back pack.
    thats a hot looking rig.

  11. #11
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    30 degree kelty Galactic down bag, Thermarest Prolite 1.5 regular, Exped pillow, and spare clothes all go in a 20 l dry bag and get strapped to the bars via a Revelate Sling. I put the bag in a compression stuff and roll it up in the pad, that gives me about 1/3 of the pad/bag's width for clothes/extras.

  12. #12
    A guy on a bike Moderator
    Reputation: TobyGadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    923
    Like others, mine goes in a dry bag with my pad and bivy sack. Revelate Sling holds it all together.

  13. #13
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    Sleeping bag in my Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag. Not much room left for anything else in the Carradice's main pocket. Still, the load is snug and steady.

    Tent wrapped up in my sleeping pad in a Revelate Harness out front. They look like they were all custom made to go together like that. Stable and secure, but bulky.

    Frame bag in the middle to hold food, etc.

    Looking for a way to make my sleeping setup smaller. It all just takes up too much room. I'm sure that a modern sleeping bag will be less bulky than my trusty 30-year old Cat's Meow. And I don't need a two-person tent just for myself. Working on ideas...
    I should try that. I usually pack my ultralight (and ultracold) sleeping bag in a bar bag that hangs under my stem. Seems to me that the goofy thing is thin and light enough I should just roll it up with my tent.

    My tent is not so ultralight (just under 5 pounds, two person Kelty car camping tent), but I'm hoping to find a smaller 1 person ultralight one some time soon... or maybe for next season. I'm actually kinda broke right now, and going through a separation, so finances are up in the air.

  14. #14
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I should try that. I usually pack my ultralight (and ultracold) sleeping bag in a bar bag that hangs under my stem. Seems to me that the goofy thing is thin and light enough I should just roll it up with my tent.

    My tent is not so ultralight (just under 5 pounds, two person Kelty car camping tent), but I'm hoping to find a smaller 1 person ultralight one some time soon... or maybe for next season. I'm actually kinda broke right now, and going through a separation, so finances are up in the air.
    Just as an experiment, I tried rolling my sleeping bag and short old skool Thermarest into my tent bag. Whaddya know? It all actually fits in the tent stuff sack!!

    So, now I have this 8 pound tent roll that contains my sleeping bag, tent stakes, plastic stake hammer, and pad. I'll keep it strapped to my rear pannier rack on top, between the bags. Same weight, but at least it's only one thing to pack, and not three.

    I can probably do without the plastic stake hammer.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    thats a hot looking rig.
    Thanks! It worked out perfectly for that trip.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by dan p View Post
    hello all, just wondering where folks put their sleeping bags if no racks are being used. below is a pic of my current bikepacking set up, and I'm using an old man mountain rack that has my one person tent, sleeping bag, and pad bungee cord-ed to it.

    it's not a bad set up, but if I could save some weight, I'd consider a revelate sweet roll, or something along the same lines. my main concern would be as to whether or not I could fit the contents of my front rack in the sweet roll.


    If you want to carry that much stuff up front I'd stick with a rack like you are using. It will support the weight better.

    I've got a roll style bar bag from Porcelain Rocket with a pouch on the front. I put a sleeping bag and most of my clothes in there and a bunch of misc stuff I want easy access to in the pouch - ie. bear bangers, food, TP/hand sanitizer, etc...

    I try and keep as much of the heavy stuff as I can in my framebag to minimize the impact on how my bike handles. My bar bag and seat bag are for light bulky items like sleeping bag, clothes, tent, sleeping pad, etc...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9
    Weather often plays a roll in where things go. For my very rainy trip in Iceland recently, my bar bag was used to house my wet tent, wet socks, wet...anything. It allowed me to pack all of my sensitive gear, like my sleeping bag, in my backpack within the shelter of my tent. Then, at the last minute, I'd hop out of the tent, break down the tent, and shove it in the bar bag. At day's end, while still raining, I'd reverse the process. So, there was no good place for the sleeping bag outside of my backpack.

  18. #18
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by Quitou View Post
    Weather often plays a roll in where things go. For my very rainy trip in Iceland recently, my bar bag was used to house my wet tent, wet socks, wet...anything. It allowed me to pack all of my sensitive gear, like my sleeping bag, in my backpack within the shelter of my tent. Then, at the last minute, I'd hop out of the tent, break down the tent, and shove it in the bar bag. At day's end, while still raining, I'd reverse the process. So, there was no good place for the sleeping bag outside of my backpack.
    That's the same reason I use the dry bag on my bars. I can pull my tent out of seat bag and get it all set up then just toss the bar bag in the tent and unpack/repack inside.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    82
    If the front triangle is big enough, I like to strap my tent underneath the top tube. That way I can keep dry stuff in dry bags in the seat bag and/or bar bag.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Like others, mine goes in a dry bag with my pad and bivy sack. Revelate Sling holds it all together.
    +1

    I just strap the drybag to my bars with Salsa anything straps though, thinking about getting a harness with pockets made though for a few longer rides next season.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Similar Threads

  1. using a lumbar pack in addition to my hydration pack
    By androgen in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 12:19 PM
  2. Was I Sleeping WTF did I miss…
    By DIRTJUNKIE in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  3. Sleeping Bag for Bikepacking
    By mtengineer in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 08:51 AM
  4. Sleeping with...
    By Wankel7 in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM
  5. HRM while sleeping?
    By Fleas in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •