Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Where do you pack your pump and what kind?

i have always just used a mini cheap and lightweight pump because i rarely got flats. but on a recent ride from hell(millions of flats), i had to patch/pump up my tires many times and got so tired that i had to camp and rest my arms.

switched to a crankbros high/low pressure pump with gauge, but now it takes too long and although it is easier on high pressure, i get just as tired. 100 pumps on low pressure(hard to pump), 300 pumps on high pressure(easy to pump, but too many strokes).
    maybe i need to do special exercises to get my arm stronger?

i was thinking maybe a longer frame pump like the roadies. also now where do i carry a longer pump?

what do you use and where do you put it?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Sits in my camelbak, its some Topeak mini pump that pumps on both ends of the stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Depending on the bike, the long pump goes under the top tube or behind the seat tube or along one of the seat stays. It all depends on the frame.

Cheesiest
    I use a topeak mini that hangs off of a bracket on the WB cage. It's dual action and works fairly well. Just consider the pumping motion conditioning
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

psycho cyclo addict
    In my saddlebag. Carbon fiber mini pump; got it for 20% off at Performance during Thanksgiving weekend.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Topeak Turbo Morph, I actually ganked a bracket from another mini pump that hangs off to the side of my cage mount and it fit nicely along side my frame bag. Mostly perfect IMO, but I have noticed that the action of the pump is getting a bit sticky. It'd be nice to have a way to keep it protected from the elements.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Topeak Road Morph. Fits in the front divided pocket of my frame bag. It's a high pressure pump, not a high volume, so it's not optimal for a MTB... but it works pretty well and comes with a tire gauge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have some Schwinn pump I got many years ago but which seems to be bomb proof. It pumps in both directions and handles both schraeder and presta (which is good when I am out riding with the kids – I’ve got all my bases covered). Its about 16-18 inches long so fits in the side pocket of my camelback or inside my larger daypack. Yes, it can get tiring at times, but I prefer it to the cartridge ones as I don’t like dealing with disposal or the possibility that I might be stuck out somewhere having used them all up.

Have contemplated bringing my longer frame pump bikepacking, though (from my road bike). Its more like 24-26 inches and also pumps in both directions. Probably takes half as long to inflate a tire as the smaller version, but its just a tad too long to fit comfortably anywhere but on the frame. Can't recall the brand at the moment, though.

mtbr member
    Topeak Mt. Morph... back pack outside pocket

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Topeak Road Morph (what's the difference between that and the Mountain Morph, anyway?). Sits along the down tube in my frame pack.

mtbr member
    Mt. = more volume per stroke
    Rd. = more pressure per stroke

≈ > ♥
    I was using a Topeak mountain morph, but something in the internals froze on a cold winter ride a couple weeks ago and a plastic part broke inside. Pumping up a tire in the cold and having your pump break in half isn't fun, and made for a crappy walk out.

Have since picked up a Lezyne. I like that it's all metal, and also that the presta/schraeder adaptor head has no crappy rubber squeeze part that'll freeze up.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Topeak Turbo Morph, I actually ganked a bracket from another mini pump that hangs off to the side of my cage mount and it fit nicely along side my frame bag. Mostly perfect IMO, but I have noticed that the action of the pump is getting a bit sticky. It'd be nice to have a way to keep it protected from the elements.
    Found out the other day that it my pump doesn't work anymore. Seems like the exposure got to it. Lucky it wasn't me that wound up walking . Probably just gonna replace it with a Mountain Morph, but I'll have to find a way to keep protected.

tao
    succinct
    My Lezyne has been great for a number of years. I keep it in a buttpack since the mount busted in a crash.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    in the backpack. it's a good one with metalic body very reliable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Zefal HPX classic. Full size and will go to 100+psi. Never want small pumps again. Waste of time and money.

HPX Classic - Zéfal

mtbr member
    I have a Serfas mini pump mounted on my frame behind a bottle cage!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have two Lezyne pumps, after going through a number of "cheap" pumps. No regrets on paying the $30 for each. I keep one on the fork of my Surly Ogre. I keep the other in my pack that I take when I'm not on the Ogre.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mini Blackburn pump in frame pack on KHS, Yeti location/pump is still being thought about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I bought a Lezyne bracket mount - attaches under the bottle cage, and the pump is held in place with velcro next to my bottle on the downtube.

mtbr member
    I run tubeless and carry a couple of co2's and a spare tube.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lezyne mini in my Camelbak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I run tubeless and carry a couple of co2's and a spare tube.

SPP

if you did that on the trail i was on, it would have been a two day hike back to get help

mtbr member
    This has been the pump that I have bought time and time again:

Filzer Mini-Zee Pump w/pressure gauge - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I have several now (all working) comes with a mount that can attach to a bottle cage (if so desired) but It is small enough to keep in a bag.

Has the three things I think are crucial for using a pump effectively:
    Hose, so you are not holding pump in place
    Floor stand, so you can pump with one or two hands and not have to hold pump
    Pressure gauge, obvious. (not so good for fatbikes...gauge isn't accurate below 20 psi)

And they are dirt cheap. Highly recommend this, it has never let me down, and changing from schreader to presta is a synch.

Lastly, it actually puts out decent volume, so you can get on with your day and not pump for half an hour into a high volume tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a 2 types of BV bike pumps from bikepakmart. both are attached to my bike frames. the silver one is like a floor pump that I can step on and has a hose. the black one feels a bit cheaper and is a bit loud but has held up well and is attached with my bottle cage. well worth the price.

Bikepakmart - Bicycle Pumps, Bike Pumps, Bicycle Maintenance, Bicycle Tools

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast