mtbr member
    Aug 2016

What's the least I can run

To maintain running legs, help bone mass, balance out some cycling muscles and such?

I workout six days a week but running gives me issues. Ultimate goal is to be able to bike the divide but I'm far from ready.

Thanks chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, Ma! No Hands!
    Just start out by riding. Ride until you say to yourself its time to turn back. Do that for a few weeks and you'll notice how your legs will be improving.

No need to run, imho, especially if it gives you problems. I'm the same way. I love to run but have developed capsulitis in my right foot, which feels like I'm standing on a golf ball. Cycling is the perfect sport for me now. Cycling and a good weekly workout plan will put you in tip top shape.

My GDMBR tour starts next June, and the above is what I do now to prep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Run? Too slow for me. No running at all. Plenty of walking and time on my feet though. Big fan of yoga and stretching. 6 days a week? Seems a lot. Swim or gym in the mix? Swim some for me. Trying for the whole GD? What kind of biking and distance do you ride now? Try some long slower rides, say 40-60 miles. Time frame for divide? This year? Pedaled with a tour loaded bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I usually try to bike every other day then off days I will do some strength or swim. It's hard for me to find time to bike long and slow. Last friday did my first light bikepack 25 miles out then camp then 25 back next morning. Yesterday morning I did 15 miles on road bike with 600 ft elev avg speed of 16.4, i'm pretty average. Weekends I try to do MTB but a lot depends on weather and this year we've had lot of rain.

I am not planning on Divide till my daughter is out of high school in 3 years. Thinking I'd like to do about 40 miles a day loaded with gear and maybe split into two since it would be hard for me to take that much time off work in one year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If a rider has a base of fitness, knows his gear and is planning a touring pace, I think "training" for the Divide is a waste of time. The first week on the route is the training.

40 miles a day will get it done in ~11 weeks. 50-60 a day saves a lot of work by getting to resupply points/minimizing carried provisions. That pace will yield around 6-7 weeks on tour.

The least you can run? Running is not necessary for bikepacking.

Look, Ma! No Hands!
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    The first week on the route is the training.
    Thats it right there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well that's kinda good to hear. I'm gonna start focusing more on some strength training and probably all but eliminate running.

>she&I, that's interesting about the 50-60 a day thing, thanks, I have a lot learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk