Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

What happened to Wingnut packs?

Packing my Wingnut Hyper 3.0 for the commute to work in the am and I thought I would check to see if they have anything new.

www.wingnutgear.com turned up empty

I really like this pack.

Any info?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I checked their domain earlier today, and it shows an expiration date of March 20, 2012. Could be that they just forgot to renew it. When I called their phone number, I got voice mail--which is pretty normal. I left them a message about their site, so hopefully they'll get it back up again.

I hope that everything is OK--Wingnut is a very innovative and fun company, and it would really suck if they are gone. But I'm going to remain optimistic that it's just a temporary domain glitch until I hear otherwise. Hopefully I'll get a call back shortly!

I left them another message, and sent an e-mail to a non-wingnut.com address. Still nothing. I'll try some more on Monday...

My other ride is your mom
    wow...thought I was going crazy last night when I went to go purchase another pack for the AZT300....hope they are not belly up...I lurve their gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Toby, I see someone posted the same question on bikepacking.net around the same time I did. Strange coincidence. I had not commuted with it in a while and forgot how much I liked it.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    I just got a new 2.5 from them last week.
    They make great stuff but are a little flaky.
    Id bet they either forgot to pay a bill or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    I just got a new 2.5 from them last week.
    They make great stuff but are a little flaky.
    Id bet they either forgot to pay a bill or something.
    Nobody from Wingnut has called me back or returned my e-mails. Since you just had contact with them, maybe try giving them a buzz to see if you have better luck reaching them? Thanks!

mtbr member
    man it seems all these bikepacking company's are MIA! except for porcelain Rocket. I've email 5 company's and no one has gotten back to me! i know there is high demand but man its getting irritating!!

mtbr member
    Wingnut is a one man show and makes the best packs IMO... tough to compete with Camelback. I contacted them 7-8 months ago to see if they'd do repair work on my Hyper 3.0, ended up fixing it myself but wish I had bought a new one just in case they are out of the business.... gasp!

Ok, just checked, site is back up and live, must have been a delay in renewing his domain.

'Tis but a scratch
    website seems to be up and working now

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    site not working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    site not working for me.
    It's working for me. Looks like they just renewed their domain name, which takes awhile to propagate over the Internet. I bet that you can hit it within 24 hours.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    site not working for me.

Try using a different browser.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Try using a different browser.
    Or try hitting refresh.

Good to see this back up and running. I just learned about Wingnut recently and was disappointed that I couldn't find any current information on them.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with the Adventure pack?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Got it working now. I own 2 different Wingnuts 2.5, 3.0. I used the 2.5 this weekend and after 3 days on the trail I found a weakness I'd like to see fixed with the harness system. I think it may have been done as I have an older one. I sent an email, but no reply yet. Essentially I'd like to see a better padded harness on the curve of the shoulders. The thin material tended to bind up on me creating some hot spots/pressure points on my back shoulders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I really like Wingnut Packs. For me, the whole design concept works really well, with weight low on the back. The side pockets are awesome in that you can actually access them without removing the pack, and they do an amazing job of keeping the pack from 'flopping' back and forth, like so many packs do.

I used an Adventure Pack on a big bikepacking tour of the Kokopelli Trail and the Arizona Trail in 2010 and it was a perfect compliment to the common bikepacking setup. Just enough volume for the things that don't fit perfectly into either the framebag, handlebar bag or seatpack. We cooked each night, so I used it mostly as a stash-spot for kitchen stuff. And bagels...

I now use a Hyper 3.0 for day rides. Same awesome design elements, just smaller. Perfect for a rain shell, a bit of food, and a bladder.

I do agree with sherpaxc, however. I do wish there were a bit of padding in the shoulder/back harness area. I do occasionally get similar hot spots. I would also like to see some beefier zippers on the packs.

I know that Scott (owner of Wingnut) is not alone there. He has at least a few people sewing for him. Having spoken with him at least a year ago, it sounds like he has his hands in a number of different projects, of which Wingnut is one. Very nice guy, just a bit tough to get a hold of.

Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm looking into having a harness made for my Wingnut. I love everything about the pack, but for sure I want an updated version of the harness. Give me the padding of the talon 22 with the design of the Wingnut and I'd be a very happy bikecamper.

Cumbria, England.
    For those mentioning that they would like padding on the straps...are you sure you're wearing the pack properly? Most of the weight should be carried on your hips/lower back, I thought that was the whole idea of them?
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    For those mentioning that they would like padding on the straps...are you sure you're wearing the pack properly? Most of the weight should be carried on your hips/lower back, I thought that was the whole idea of them?
    Yeah, that crossed my mind too. I think of the Wingnut as sort of a large fanny pack with straps for stability. I really like the ventilated straps--I never get sweaty shoulders like I do with other packs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm sure I'm wearing them correctly. While there isn't a lot of actual weight on the shoulders, the 3-d mesh that they use just isn't stiff enough for me and tends to bind up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Has anyone seen the new osprey zealot? Looks like a good replacement for the wingnut.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27 View Post
    Has anyone seen the new osprey zealot? Looks like a good replacement for the wingnut.
    Bill, those packs don't even look the same in comparison (just a brief look on the website). The Zealot looks to be more like a traditional backpack. Also, I am not a fan at all of Osprey's use of that back netting on their packs. I've had one before and after a long day it rubs into your back. Druber had that same problem this past weekend with his Osprey.

I actually really like the looks of Camelbacks Ocatane pack, but it still sit's a bit higher on my back than I'd prefer. Zimmerbuilt Packs does custom work and I'm looking into having him build me one similar to the wingnut. It would be a bikepacking pack only though because as you know full well, the cedars out here will tear up a pack pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I used to have a wingnut pack. best pack i have ever used, hands down. I did have a zipper issue and sent it back to scott for some repair. It wasnt a huge issue and if I had known I would never see the pack again I would have never sent it back. Weeks turned to months and I just gave up and got an osprey pack. Its not perfect but its not far off. If wingnut gets back on top of things I will ABSOLUTELY buy more of their awesome product. I love supporting the smaller companies especially when they get a design so right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just received a pack I ordered...it took a little longer than I expected (10-12 days or so), but it showed up. They're still in business, but as someone said: a little flaky. They have the best design, tho.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    I ordered up one on April 17th - will see how long it takes to get it

Was hoping to have it by Monday but who knows

Ed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast