Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Since we live in snow country I use winter as a time to take a break from biking (sort of) and try to XC/skate ski as much as I can. IMO this works a lot of otherwise neglected muscle groups especially laterally.

However, I try to stay on rollers at least 2x/week until around mid January, when I start putting more saddle time on in earnest. The goal is to work up to at least one 3 hour roller session before the 'real' MTB season starts in April.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    For those of you that said "keep riding"

What do you do to keep your hands and feet warm? Sub 35 Degrees I can't seem for find anything that is warm enough to keep me out there and give me the dexterity I need to operate the bike.

The only way I can keep my hands warm is to use my ski mittens with air activated hand warmers stuffed inside. As you can imagine it is kind of hard to brake let alone shift...

For feet I usually do the tape on the shoe vents and a plastic bag around my wool socks and that does ok but it doesn't let my feet breathe so if I manage to get overheated then they stay wet. I tried the boot covers thing, but they don't stop enough air, if they get wet they stay wet forever, and they rip easy and are expensive. . .

So,
    When it is cold I either take up running (and destroy my knees), hike/walk (which gets old when I see the same exact sights for the 10th time because I can't go very far with the time I'm usually allowed) or watch you tube videos and read this forum (read: get fat).
    In the little winter riding I have done I pack all my bike riding cloths and shoes away for summer and break out the XC ski cloths. In a seatbag I'll pack insulated over pants and down coat with hood to put on when stopping.
    I go to flat peddles and snowshoe boots for my feet. Hot finger ski gloves for my hands and balaclava for my face.
    I also use a snow boarders helmet with ear warmers.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Slothful dirt hippie
    ...What do you do to keep your hands and feet warm? Sub 35 Degrees I can't seem for find anything that is warm enough to keep me out there and give me the dexterity I need to operate the bike...
    Unfortunately if you have very poor circulation in your hands and feet, you'll find that no amount of layers will work very well. You can try to get around it with chemical heaters and/or throwing glove liners on the defroster on the way to the trail so they're steaming hot when you get them on... either way it's going to require more heat than you're generating from your skin.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For those of you that said "keep riding"

What do you do to keep your hands and feet warm? Sub 35 Degrees I can't seem for find anything that is warm enough to keep me out there and give me the dexterity I need to operate the bike.

The only way I can keep my hands warm is to use my ski mittens with air activated hand warmers stuffed inside. As you can imagine it is kind of hard to brake let alone shift...

For feet I usually do the tape on the shoe vents and a plastic bag around my wool socks and that does ok but it doesn't let my feet breathe so if I manage to get overheated then they stay wet. I tried the boot covers thing, but they don't stop enough air, if they get wet they stay wet forever, and they rip easy and are expensive. . .
    I have big problems with my hands and I've tried a bunch of different stuff. The most effective I've found so far is wool liner gloves with thick lobster-claw gloves over the top, and chemical handwarmers sandwiched between them. I also wear a cut-off pair of wool socks as wrist warmers above the cuff of the glove and under my long-sleeved top. Pogies also work well.

For feet I use regular MTB shoes with extra-thick Pearl Izumi booties. That's usually enough for me but sometimes I'll wear Sealskinz waterproof socks too. They make my feet sweat, but they stay warm.

mtbr member
    running, lots of running on treadmill, or road, and trails when weather allows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2