mtbr member
    Feb 2012

What bladder for frame bag?

Hey folks
    got a custom frame bag for my Ogre made, it's got a divider so i can put a bladder in the top half. I wanted to run a hose out the top for ease of use and to get the camelbak off my back for day trips.
    I also run a Jones bar and the clip i have for my bars runs the hose way out the front, kinda defeats the purpose.
    anyone use a different technique?

also what bladders are you using? i was going to use my camelbak 3lt antidode bladder but i also have a 4lt Ortlieb bladder and i know they offer a hose kit for that.

another option is the MSR Domlite + hose kit

keen to see what other folks are using.

If i use another bladder then i can carry more water on my back if needed, for longer hauls.

cheers
    Steve

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I've been using Camelbak bladders but I dislike how big the lid is but that seems to be a problem with most bladders. And it doesn't bother me enough to spend money on it. I use it with one of the Revelate Salsa bags and run the hose out the port in the front, out around front, kinda like a cable, and back to a retractable badge holder ziptied to my stem. Works pretty well. I use a 100oz bladder and find that is more then enough for most days, and I can add my Sawyer filter inline for multiday trips and refill from just about anywhere. I feel sorry for people who live places where they need to carry more water then 100oz but everybody's struggle is a bit different.

That being said , if I had to do again I would love a bag that had a designated bladder space that would integrate the lid, like on some of the smaller Camelbaks (Rouge, Classic), and allow for easy access. Or some type of downtube bladder/bag, but that gets more complex.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i think the lid section is the thing i dislike about using my existing option, it doesn't allow the bladder to sit flat in the bottom section of my bag. i'm keen to get my hands on one of the dromlite bags, even though it's 4lt, doesn't mean i have to put 4lt in it

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I tried using my dromlite in my frame bag but struggled with fighting gravity having to suck up rather than sucking down when the bladder is on my back. Don't know if that's something specific to that bladder but curious what other people's experiences are.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Your working against gravity either way, might be slightly harder due to the longer hose but I have never noticed. Do you find your hose filling with air? If so that just means your bite valve isn't sealing fully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Steve, the 2.5l Platypus bottles are pretty nice. There is a hose kit with bite valve (you can swap the bite valve out like I did with one you prefer).

It uses a standard 2l soda bottle plastic cap. Conveniently, same fitting as the Sawyer squeeze filter. I've used them in weather down to 20 and dragged them up big walls as well on b-packing trips. In two decades of using them, numerous ones have sprung leaks. They have always been replaced by MSR/Cascade. Never had one fail in a clutch situation, and will continue to use them as primary water storage and dispensing. MSR makes branded Platypus patches, but duct tape should suffice.

I honestly could never get on board with with these giant-mouthed CB bladders. I use a Platy on every ride, and for long day rides I take one-plus and just swap out the bottle with no refilling. For the big bike jobs they're the best IMO. If you need more capacity and brawn I'd go with MSR Dromedary. I think they have a light one available; I can only vouch for the original black ones. Overkill for bikepacking IMO.

Cheers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Osprey's magnetic system works well, I think. I've seen a few out here put inside tangle/frame bags. However, the bladder itself is heavy and really designed to keep shape inside a backpack. I've contemplated getting one of their bitevalves/magnets and retrofitting it to another bladder, like a platypus.

No perfect bladder yet for bikepacking... only close to perfect!

Lord Thunderbottom
    I use a playpus hoser inside my revelate tangle bag, due to top tube slope I had to add a longer hose, so that the cap/tube comes all the way from the lowest point in the bag, near the seat tube, else it tends to suck itself shut without letting out any water if it's situated cap/tube up
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't