Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    That's it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ads-bully View Post
    Could someone please tell me what S240 means???
    Sub-24 Hour Overnight (S24O) trips.

Learn About Bikes with Rivendell Bicycle Works

Woody

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the link woody... That explained it nicely.. Cheers all for the reply

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-dsc0126.jpg

Hi everyone.
    New to bikepacking and not sure whether I should be posting here or not, anyway I hope someone can help me out.

I did my first, nearly two weeks tour this year (roughly 1000km) and found my new saddle bag torn where it was touching/rubbing the seatpost. The bag was almost always packed up with around 3kg of stuff.
    The tear most likely was caused by the rubbing combination of plastic internal inserts (that holds the bag walls from expanding in this area) and my baggy shorts, while pedalling.

It is slightly worrying that the new bag developed this tear in, what it feels like, very tough fabric.
    Have you come across a similar problem? and did you come up with a solution to avoid it?
    Do you own a saddle bag that last and last, no matter the mileage?

Your comments will be appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Greg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Welcome, Greg.

A bit off the thread topic, yes, but...

I would try to extract that insert and trim it back. If that's impractical (or in addition), the fabric can be reinforced with SeamGrip tent seam sealer or Plasti-Dip rubber tool handle coating. Both are brush-on products (don't get the spray Plasti-Dip). PD is a little thicker and less runny. Less than ten bucks US for either.

Performix Brand Plasti Dip-11603-6 at The Home Depot

Gear Aid Seam Grip Seam Sealer at REI.com

Cheers...

Mike

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Hi Greg, I'm not sure what brand the bag is but it isn't really that surprising, to me, to see the hard plastic cutting through the Cordura. That's actually kind of an odd place to put a stiffener for exactly that reason. If the seat bags have them, they're usually on the top or the bottom not on the sides. Imagine how much pressure is on the edge of that plastic when the bag is loaded, you're riding and it's bouncing and vibrating constantly. Almost any material would give way pretty quickly under those circumstances.

If possible, I would consider removing the stiffeners and if it actually needs something, I would look at a thin (2-3 mm) but stiff foam of some sort.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What a great thread. I hope some of you might be interested in this 300 mile tour/race for next spring that goes through the Los Padres National Forest. Here is the website. The full gpx route will be up by the end of November (or sooner!). Parts of the route can be downloaded already on the website:

Tour *De *Los *Padres - Home

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kdold View Post
    I'm new to mtbr.com and this forum. I'd like to see some information on multi-day rides in the Colorado area. Also, suggestions on packs/panniers/bags for the bike.
    Hello, you have the Colorado Trail, part of The Great Divide Bike Trail, the Grand Loop near Grand Junction, the Kokopelli Trail...lots of options. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Glad to see the Bikepacking forum after numerous requests many years ago!

In August 2002, did the Great Pacific Coast Escape on my Klein w/BOB trailer and had a fantastic time even carrying enough extra equipment to supply a few riders probably. (2,129 miles in 27 days) Reprise the same trip in October 2011 with the same amount of gear as in 2002 and the same Klein/Bob setup. Made it from Tacoma to Astoria and was taken out by firewood falling off a car trailer in a turn and crashing myself and Klein/BOB into the ditch. Wheel rebuild in Astoria at the campground and a few more days on the bike before a knee injury from the crash precluded use of pedaling with both legs and all the heavy gear. One-legged cycling rest of the coast was not an option after trying for three days. I caught public transportation from the coast to Portland and the train back to Tacoma and put the bikes away for a few years and ignored the bicycle forums.

Since then given my business (way too many hours), move to Arizona (warmer temps!) and a vacation from the bicycle world -- time to start preparing for new adventures with lighter equipment and a new 29er bike upcoming and physical rehab/training to get past the tendonitis issues with the knee now. Camping gear has already been pared down from 18lbs (tent/pad/sleeping/cooking) to 3.7lbs and a fraction of the volume. No desire to bring BOB with in the future and that is more weight that will be history as well. In 2011, the bikepacking world was just starting and I'm glad to see it has generated enthusiasm as hoped and a trail system of its own. I know there is another 30-day Pacific Coast trip that I'd HAVE to do again (its been bugging me since the day I had to quit the previous trip) -- as well as some great trail systems in Arizona for shorter length multi-day rides.

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-2011reprise.jpg
    me: Mark - mtnbikes: (Gary) Klein Attitude + Rascal - road: ti wunderbike - where: formerly Milton, WA and now Gilbert, AZ

mtbr member
    I guess I'm a lurker. Always interested in the idea of bikepacking. I always been involved in some sort of racing. Lately triathlons. Last weeked sliced my foot open on a zebra mussel at a race. So i spent the week on Netflix and the internet. So at age 54 I want to slow the pace down.
    I live near Rochester, NY and want to try some overnight rides using the Erie Canal Trailway. My wife evan wants to get in a try. And I really, love the look of the MTBs with all bags......

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi, Alasdair from Scotland here.

I'm a Highland Trail Race 550 finisher (as of the end of May), looking for my next challenge. I'm looking at the TD at some point in my life, but it's more a case of finding the time than anything else. I do a fair bit of bivvying in Scotland, have done a few multi-day rides but the HTR was the biggest I've done so far. I'd recommend it for 2015 if you like walking with your bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just wanted to say hello! New here! I'm Carrie. Haven't gone touring but ready to live the dream.

Graveyard Shift
    Welcome!

I guess I should say hi too because I didn't.

My name is Christian, I live in Vancouver, BC, and I'm an Aries. I enjoy gazing at the stars and sitting out on the dock in the pouring rain because I like the sound of rain hitting the water's surface. I commute and travel by bike and my current project involves turning a Montague Paratrooper into a serviceable, all-purpose machine.

Hiiiiiii.
    Long is the way, and hard.

Pedaling Nowhere
    Hey there. Thought I'd chime in... I poke around these cavernous threads every now and again. In case you haven’t seen the latest addition to our site, Pedaling Nowhere, the Bikepacking Routes section is a growing list of contributions from several dirt pioneers. Each is complete with GPS, logistics info, and photography. Check it out... many more routes and new functionality coming soon (hoping to have a map-based navigation up and running toward the end of the month). Also, many more US routes soon.

Cheers,
    Logan
    -------------------------------------------------
    pedalingnowhere.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm Nico. I live in Santa Barbara County, CA. I'm relatively new to mountain biking in general (~3+ yrs) but have been enjoying using the bike as a means to expand my opportunities for exploring my local area (Los Padres National Forest mostly). I'm a long time backpacker and am well versed in UL backpacking techniques/gear, so I jumped right into the bikepacking thing as soon as I bought my first mountain bike. Its been a great way to combine my enjoyment of multiday trips in the backcountry with the fun of riding a bike.

At the moment, I'm riding a Surly Ogre with a suite of Revelate bags, although I'll occasionally swap them out for a rack and panniers if its more of a fire road leisure trip with some extra luxuries thrown in.

I mainly come to this forum to glean insight on trip ideas, tips, and general bike knowledge (parts, maintenance, repair, etc.) as it relates to dirt touring, bikepacking, etc. I hope to branch out in the coming years and travel to some other destinations in the American SW for multi-day trips as I become a better and stronger rider.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6