Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi there
    We run a cycling routes website for fun in the UK, and have just put up a 7/8 day coast to coast epic. Rather than just ride a MTb from one sea to the other, we thought that you may as well ride the best trails in the process. It's a bike packing epic - take a look at pedalnorth.com
    Rob

Go Speed Racer
    Hello. Not new to mountain biking or mtbr, but I am new to bikepacking. I am thinking about preparing for a 1-3 day ride on the Black Canyon Trail in Arizona. Just starting to do some research to get started. I am thinking about going it alone, but not sure if that is a good idea (not sure I can get anyone to tag along). Anyway, I have a lot of time to prepare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm here from Central Oh. Looking to learn, as I am absolute noob. Lots of free time, once I get started though

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    newbie here from Albany Oregon; looking to start doing overnighters and then maybe move up to longer rides/camping..
    gear is more what I'm looking at, especially cheaper alternatives lol
    looking to learn as well!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Rich from Julian, California (San Diego County)
    Just turned 60 so I am probably one of the oldest farts here!
    Been mountain biking since 1987 and have done numerous over nighters with racks and panniers, trailers etc.
    Always biked regularly but never any big mileage stuff. Heard about the Stagecoach 400 about one year ago now. Never thought I could complete it but trained for it just to see how far I could go. Surprisingly I finished it. One month later I was lining up for the Tour Divide. Was able to complete it and had the adventure of my life.
    Really into it now. bikepacking.net has been a great resource, but nice to have more than one forum out there.
    Next up is the AZT 750 which I think will make the Tour divide look like child's play!
    Would like to do the Colorado Trail Race but not this year. This sport is way too expensive!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-59.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-111.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-126.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-26.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-134.jpg  

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Hey Rich... Happy Birthday and congrats man! Some great photos here. Will have to check out your blog. What's written on your downtube? Oh, how'd the TDR go for you? I did it last year for my 50th.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Hey Rich... Happy Birthday and congrats man! Some great photos here. Will have to check out your blog. What's written on your downtube? Oh, how'd the TDR go for you? I did it last year for my 50th.
    My Mother in Law passed away less than a week before the TD grand depart. I penned her name DOB and passing date on my downtube in her memory.
    I wondered if you were Phil but researching you, just another ex pat (ha ha!) I met Phil the second day out. What an adventure that was!
    Congrats on finishing it single speed. I rode quite a bit with Prentiss another single speeder. He was much stronger than me but my sissy gears really helped out. I rode single speed for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. Not man enough to go backpacking SS though.
    The TD was such an experience. I looked at your photos. Very nice!
    Your bags look top notch. Good luck with them.
    The pic above in Sedona is my wife, who has gotten the bug to get back on the bike after many years off. Got her a 29er hardtail so she can start bikepacking too.
    Perhaps we will meet some day.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Wow Rich... really sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. That's an amazing way to honor her. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember seeing your bike at the start.

Phil... he's a good friend and teammate of mine. In fact, I just finished and boxed up a new frame bag for him today. Thanks for the well-wishes on the new venture. I really haven't started pushing the bags yet and the orders keep rolling in.

Congrats on getting your wife out on the mtb. My wife is more of a roadie but at least she rides. I can't complain in that regard. She puts up with me doing things like the TDR and this year the Grenzstein Trophy along the old Iron Curtain route here in Germany.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Andy from The UK just registered on the site, I have a Facebook page showing bickpacking related stuff,
    Bikepacking UK | Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    love your pictures !!
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Rich from Julian, California (San Diego County)
    Just turned 60 so I am probably one of the oldest farts here!
    Been mountain biking since 1987 and have done numerous over nighters with racks and panniers, trailers etc.
    Always biked regularly but never any big mileage stuff. Heard about the Stagecoach 400 about one year ago now. Never thought I could complete it but trained for it just to see how far I could go. Surprisingly I finished it. One month later I was lining up for the Tour Divide. Was able to complete it and had the adventure of my life.
    Really into it now. bikepacking.net has been a great resource, but nice to have more than one forum out there.
    Next up is the AZT 750 which I think will make the Tour divide look like child's play!
    Would like to do the Colorado Trail Race but not this year. This sport is way too expensive!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm just another random person on a bike really. I've long had mountain biking interests for the past 30 years, an outdoor enthusiast (camping) for the same length, and have recently looked into survivalist camping and rock climbing.

Finally getting back into "getting in shape" after several years of camping out on the couch, rather than outside, so, I figure.. why not?

edit: After wiki link clicking, and coming up to a survivalist page.. it seems that this term now relates to preppers / doomsday people. That is NOT what i'm referring to. What I'm actually into is going out into the wilderness, and putting myself into a survival situation (no shelter, no sleeping bag, no food, maybe a bottle of water), and getting back alive

Got a Giant Revel 1, and I am slowly.. oh ever so slowly.. peicing together all the gear I could possibly need (Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to pack a 42" LCD HDTV, PS3, sat dish on a bike? Ok, I know.. thats a bit excessive ).

I hail from SW/W Ohio (Dayton area), and have planned several trips throughout Ohio for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. Looking forward to posting pics and videos!

One thing I can see on the forums, is a sticky for a First Aid / Survival situations resources thread. Perhaps also a "use-specific" bike rating / opinion thread? (Cost, reliability, trail-repairability, general opinion of the bike, etc..). That should help those that are looking at getting a bike for this type of biking.
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 03-07-2013 at 10:35 AM.

troll
    I live in central KY. After years of lurking on these forums for various bike-related info, I finally became an official user of the forums earlier this year after building up a trail bike, specifically for bikepacking trips and recreational trail rides at local and regional trails.

Before I became obsessed with bikes back in 2004 or so, I was an avid hiker and backpacker, so I was already a bit of a gear hound with a love for being outside. It wasn't until around 2009 that I sold off a bunch of fancy road / track bike stuff for a Long Haul Trucker and got into the touring bug. I'm self employed, but pretty busy, so I cannot take too much time off for bike trips, so I like to keep it to overnights, or 2-3 day trips. I love riding rail trails and visiting the towns communities along them.

Ever since Surly introduced the Troll I've wanted one, seeing it as the perfect off-road "camping bike", and that is also when I discovered the term "bikepacking". Again, I became obsessed with the concept. Now, after finally getting one and building up a decent initial bikepacking setup, I'll be making my first trips in April with a few friends.

As for the forum, I would love to see more info about shorter 1-3 day trip options around the US, rugged rail trails (ones that aren't completely paved), and S24o's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I live in Philadelphia, PA, and ride a Surly Troll, though not as much as I'd like. This fall/winter/spring I'm hoping to be in the Middle East, during which time I'm hoping to do a ride from Israel to Iraq...we'll see how that pans out. If I pull it off, it should be a ride to remember.

In the meantime, I'm always looking for people to bikepack with; I don't have any friends in the area who do any more than short day rides. Any SE PA folk who'd want to join up for some on or off-road overnighters should hit me up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Robert here! Been cycling forever. At one time or another european tours, cross state tours, lots of commuting, club rides, centuries. Went through a 4x4 rock crawling phase, still in a DS/ADV phase, especially urban dual sport. Just got back into cycling with a Surly Moonlander and a sharp focus on getting out into the urban woods close enough to the house that we can ride there, then playing with various gear once we get there. Sort of urban adventuring, light. Ha ha!

Also looking forward to catching up on the forum and following along on future adventures.

Back in the Saddle Again
    I am surprised I missed this part of the forum until now.

I'm Greg and the Mule is a 2013 Motobecane Elite Trail.

I recently went from a Subie OBW to the bike for my only method of transportation, so I have been having to rethink a lot of things, one of which is my bug out/camping equipment. So I am at the beginning of my efforts. I will say, I like what I have seen and certainly enjoy the home made section as I am currently tight on my budget and do what I can with what I have, afford, barter and trade for.

One of my efforts of home made equipment. Total cost - $2 (hardware bought and from an earlier project)
    Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-972016_184189031739513_167168429_n.jpgWelcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-1010307_198386016986481_845439526_n.jpg

The pictures posted here will certainly keep my creative spark going.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    those ought to hold plenty of gear, and help keep the weight low.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    those ought to hold plenty of gear, and help keep the weight low.
    So far I have loaded them down filled with groceries with no issues and 100% waterproof (lids not shown). I used three gallon food grade buckets and insulated cable mounts from Harbor freight.

I am working on getting a frame mount rack that will increase my load by 35#.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live in Northern Nevada. This forum? I'm loving everything I am seeing. Gear,grades,grandiose dreams being realized. This is such the way to live and love. Preparation is meeting places, people and the pavement is only optional! ( actually quite sandy where I live)

Black Ops Pugs w/Revelate bags. More on way. Thinking some Bedrock bags too.
    Last edited by Nevaditude; 08-10-2013 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member

Answering the Roll

This forum - I'm really enjoying it. Ride a Salsa Fargo in fun-guy green and also a Surly Troll in black. I'm also a roadie, but really I just love me some bike. Also building a Salsa Mukluk I learn stuff every time I get on this forum - what to pack, where to ride, how to do something to my bikes, the good stuff just keeps coming. Maybe some more sources for maps and good stuff along those lines. It's really nice to have experienced folks who have done some of this and are willing to help those of us who are less knowledgable.

Over all - great place to learn and share!!!

Did you see that guy? Seriously!!??

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Complete newbie here. Eric from Georgetown, Texas.
    I have done one S24O to a local park here. More of a fleshing out of how all this works trip. Loved it.
    really wantot do a BP trip in Az.
    90% of all the land in Texas is privately owned. The only place to do a multi-night BP trip is in the Big Bend NP/St. Parks. Pretty to some extent but.....
    So any trip I take will have to be out of state.
    First BP trip planned is for June of next year (2014) Begin and end at Jacob Lake (on the kaibab Plateau) rounding around Rainbow Rim down to North Rim then up the AZT back to Jacob Lake.
    I have an old (1996) Trek ST-120. Think Trek "Y" frame from back then but in aluminum tube form. Single pivot URT (unified Rear Triangle)...yea baby! <--- total sarcasm.

It sucks. bounce bounce bounce bounce... and that's on flat pavement!

I am thinking of 'converting' by Kona Sutra....fattest tires I can put on there and just go with that until I can ave enough coin to buy a Krampas/Fargo something of the ilk.

Until then though, I shall lurk here and learn as much as possible.
    Don't look for me to post a lot at least until I feel I have something worthy of sharing and can be of some benefit.

Thanks for reading.

Bikepack on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey don't forget about Palo Duro State Park. I have never been, but apparently it has some great riding and they do allow backcountry camping in one area of the park. Its on my list, coming from Albuquerque.

I know also some folks have posted either here or in bikepacking.net about bikepacking around Houston (which I realize isn't that close to you).

Lastly, there is Big City Bikerafts which rents packrafts and may also have some tips on places in your area of Texas to go bikepacking (they in Dallas/Fort Worth). They seem like cool guys.

I've got a good number of friends and family in your neck of the woods - Georgetown, Hillsboro, Waxahatchie and Dallas. No riders, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call

Hi, happy bill from Delaware.
    Still a novice bike camper, but 25 years on bikes.
    Getting ready for my first overnighter multi day trip on the tow path to Pittsburgh. 5 days and 355 miles. Yes it's just rails to trails but you have to start somewhere.

And shows like ride the divide are my insperiation. That and reading all you people do here.

Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cut paste from my intro (general forum) moment ago.
    I like the way this forum is heading......
    Hey all,,,,,,
    "new" yet, not so much. I was a member here, many,many years ago.
    My name is Bill, born in 1961. I enjoy all outdoor activities including flyfishing & tying (hardcore/avid), kayaking,camping,bomb fires with friends,hiking,etc.
    "Tinman" - chosen as for many years I was a union "tin knocker"- tin smith,sheet metal worker/fabricator in the skilled trades. These day's I am a outside/field sales rep for a manufacturer. I have two wonderful children, one out of college and working and one in and studying.

I live on the WNY/Pa border near Chautauqua Lake NY

I started MTB'in in the early 90's in a single track/deer trail utilitarian manner with a steel Diamondback Ascent, Maz. XC-400 S.Fork,Granny gear gog and utility racks. I purchased it new and just traded it for 75 bucks/trade in but,,,,,,,,,,,,may have to get it back as I already miss it ..........funny how that goes.

I am interested in ATB bikes,adventure touring, bike packing,exploration,endurance,fitness to coffee house run's in commuter mode and some good tunes

Currently, My fav. day trip rides are on on fire roads,forest service, gravel grinder, double track and rural country pavement.

I am not a bike mechanic but, love to tinker in my garage, take pride in doing things myself...............

I am not into bicycle mags but, I do enjoy Bicycle Times these days, purchased at grocery news stand..........

For the most part I will be posting in the back packing section.

Enjoy the outdoors.........

Tinman

My value packed Adventure Tour Steed.

Forest/Fire Service Road mode
    29'er mode

28'er Mode
    Last edited by Tinman; 09-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Could someone please tell me what S240 means???

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sub
    24 hour
    overnight

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast