Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice

Enki loves you
    Hi
    gravedoja here from the uk, i have been cycling since 1991, i started out bike packing back in the day on my emelle santana, sleeping out under the stars in a cheapo sleeping bag, i carried it all round in a plastic bag bungied to a rear rack, happy days. Anyway me and my girlfriend are getting back into it now, we did a few one nighters last year and this year we plan to expand on that. I have just ordered some bags from bikepack eu, so looking forward to getting those. will post up some pics ( old and new ) at some point.

looking forward to reading trip and kit reports and also like 'build your own kit' threads.

Toodles.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hello there, Nick from Shropshire in the UK, just working out a route for this year's Welsh Ride Thing, this is my third year of bikepacking and have finally graduated to some proper kit and a bike designed for the task (Fargo). Have recently started making my own gear, including a frame bag which you can see on my blog I'll be back soon!. Would love to see more of the world and sleep rough in it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    More beautiful pictures, please! I will post some as soon as the gods decide I have enough posts to be worthy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well...it's a picture...

I'm dutch. Besides mountainbiking I did a lot of cycletouring, mostly in Europe but I've been tot the US twice. My wife and I did a large portion of the GDMR in 2006 as a second honeymoon. I haven't done any touring since then, we got busy, two kids so far. I do want to give it a go again though, both solo and as a family when the kids are a little older. I'm currently training by pulling them in a trailer

My wife is planning a quick solo tour this summer, maybe I'll go for a couple of days as well, we'll see.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Thanks for the forum...

...to all on this great forum, I would like to live through your eyes as I will never get to see in person what you all do.

I can offer up my experiences and goals accomplished.

What do I want here? To wish everyone health, success, and positive energy, on all your trips out there in nature.

Lee Curry, just a bike rider/trail builder from Pennsylvania

Nice to see everyone "bike touring" through life.

Disabled Vet
    While or yes I've dreamt of bike-packing/camping,I'm new to it this year. My trips will mostly be short,and rail-trailish,with my son,both kids,and/or hopefully a longer trip with the Wife come October as we celebrate our 20th.

Yeah,most of ours will be rail trail type trips (though my Xtracycle is technically still a mtn bike,LOL!),bu I'd like to do some singletrack or gravel grinding trips too. Big asperations,small windows of op's I'm enjoying this forum though,very happy to have it,learned lots already,hope I can help someone else along the way
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Iíve been lurking in these bikepacking forums for a few months now getting very excited about the possibilities. Iíve done a lot of backpacking and canoe tripping, but the whole bikepacking thing is a new one to me.

My birthday is tomorrow (44) and my saintly wife suggested I could try a bikepacking overnighter (she wants to do this, too, but with two kids, I must shoulder the burden of scouting some rides Ė life is hardÖ) So, as I have been blessed with a new bike (Klein Attitude) for my birthday, I have been modifying the older ride (a 94ish Gary Fisher Hoo koo e koo with rigid replacement fork) for bikepacking. I am so excited! My plan is to go out tomorrow and return Saturday.

Iíll be going up into the Zuni mountains in western New Mexico. We own some land near there and that will be home base for heading out into the forest land. I did a scouting mission for the day two weekends ago and the terrain is lovely, if a bit challenging for a loaded bike. Lots of ups and downs between about 7000 and almost 9000 feet (its all just to the west of the Continental Divide here). Itíll be a good workout. The good news its almost all downhill back to our land.

Anyway, got my list and Iím checking it twice. Its possible Iíll get some rain, too. But no cooking. There are fire restrictions (with good reason) and I donít need the extra weight. Aside from coffee, it should be fine.

Will post a report when I return!

UPDATE: Ok, back from the trip. Report is here. Thanks for the inspiration everyone!
    Last edited by wahday; 07-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    byknuts (ian) here.
    I recently did what I called a 7 hour/140km sprint on a single speed gardin with 56x16 gearing. It was mostly relatively flat terrain.

I've tentatively volunteered to do a 1350-1400 km 10 day ride in early September.
    We'll have a support truck (large group, about 10 or 12 people I think)
    but for all intents and purposes it'll be tents by the side of the road/trail.

Travelling from Thunder Bay to Toronto (Ontario), route seems to be mostly by roads, rural routes, etc.
    Basically we're moving from black bear and moose country, down to deer and coyote country.

Suggestions, advice, anything?

Rig planned is a Salsa Casseroll, 1x9 (11-32 on a 48), ti bars (maybe seatpost too), Magura brakes, Tk7.1's on Real hubs, schwalbe 40mm marathon xr's.
    I know the 40's are kind of overkill, but I'm more comfortable knowing I CAN air down if need be, instead of being stuck with high-psi all the time.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can't wait to get out some more on overnights.I'm so hooked on all day bike adventuring.This is what actually got me to finally join the forums after years of lurking.

mtbr member
    hey all ! man am I glad i found this forum I have been seriously wanting to get into bike packing my rig is a 2012 cannondale 29er ( love it) been into practicing survival for over 14 yrs got away for a while but think im going to put that to good use with the bike . hope to be able to share and learn
    TREE !!!!

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    It's been a while since I checked in with mtbr. I really like what you guys have done with the place.

Here's my 04 Azonic in bike packing mode.

Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 09-17-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: trying to get picture to display

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^Can you post pic of your rear rack layout?

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    ^Can you post pic of your rear rack layout?
    Is this question/request for me?

OMM rear rack:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/7...d458462d_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/7...20285ebb_z.jpg

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm interested how the rack mounts to the rear full suspension

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    So, don't know if I introduced myself before. I'm an expat living in Southern Bavaria, Germany. I come from Kansas City and now ride around the Alps whenever possible.

This year, my 50th, I did the Tour Divide Race on my rigid singlespeed 29'er. The bags on my bike are half Carousal and half my brand SpoK. I'm in the process of getting my bag making business up and running and I also teach Business English on the ESL level.

The Finish

My view looking down

The worst day on the TDR

Lots more photos here -
    Tour Divide 20_07_2012 - a set on Flickr

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Finally, someone carrying about as much stuff as I would. Welcome, 1 Speed!

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    So, don't know if I introduced myself before. I'm an expat living in Southern Bavaria, Germany. I come from Kansas City and now ride around the Alps whenever possible.

This year, my 50th, I did the Tour Divide Race on my rigid singlespeed 29'er. The bags on my bike are half Carousal and half my brand SpoK. I'm in the process of getting my bag making business up and running and I also teach Business English on the ESL level.

Lots more photos here -
    Tour Divide 20_07_2012 - a set on Flickr
    Great slideshow / trip report thanks.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

My other ride is your mom
    Hey all....I can't for the life of me figure why I have yet to post here...but I'm usually over on the AZ forum blasting pics of my two-wheeled catharsis. I love to bikepack...my journey is found at my blog below.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hello, I from Russia. I am engaged "Bikepacking" about 3 years. All bags are made by me

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i like that front bag. I need something for my high volume, light weight stuff, like my sleeping bag and tarp.

mtbr member
    Hi All,
    I am Bryan living in Denver, CO. Last year I bought a Salsa Fargo with the full intention of getting into bikepacking. So far this year, I've bikepacked twice-- once on the Great Divide and the other on the Colorado Trail.
    I plan on doing part of the Great Divide route next summer with some friends. Once I have enough posts, I'll post photos.
    Cheers- Bryan

mtbr member
    Hi everyone.

I'm a Brit living in Calgary Canada and I road bike, mountain bike and fat bike. Looking at learning from everyone here and I'm planning to ride the western BC stretch of the Trans Canada Trail next year.

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

Richie

mtbr member
    IMG_0881_edited-1

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New to bikepacking

I'm new to mtbr.com and this forum. I'd like to see some information on multi-day rides in the Colorado area. Also, suggestions on packs/panniers/bags for the bike.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast