Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Hi all. Just getting back into riding a bike. ( friends reccomended it to rehabilitate my knees from work injuries) Have outfitted my wife and I with fat bikes. Hers a 15" Motobecane Boris X5. Me a Cogburn CB4 L/XL. .
    I'm beginning to understand all these modern frame and seat bags. But I'm planning more along the heavy duty front and rear racks that can handle quarters of moose and caribou. I live in eastern central Alaska so bike packing for me is really just self powered pack mule. However. We are thinking of doing some summer trips next year like the Denali Hwy. Possibly the Nebesna Road. Places we haven't driven. I'm very blessed that my wife is excited about it. As we live along the main highway here we have a lot of touring cyclists come thru so I am able to chat up some of them.

mtbr member
    We're old enough and not into competition so we don't mind the weight being a bit more that we pack with us. One of my main concerns is that our bikes don't break down in a remote area. . Also, I'm hoping Bob comes out with a 26" full FAT ( 100 mm rim, 5" tire trailer.
    Anyway, its great to see how everyone packs their gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hello, i'm new here. I've done fair amount of mountain biking here in Indonesia and would like to expand to bikepacking. I expect to gain knowledge and practical stuff to apply on my next trips

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Present, want to get into bikepacking this year, so am open to all sorts of topics. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Brand new to the idea, but HAVE TO GET INVOLVED IN THIS!
    I know NO ONE who does anything like this and would love to hook up with a few people who I can learn the ropes from. I live in boring flat Illinois (Chicago).
    Also, does anyone offer any kind of Guide services where a newbie can pay someone to take them out ?
    I have a good amount of down time in winter, spring, and summer because I teach/coach HS football, so I have a lot of holidays etc.
    I used to run 1/2 marathons after playing college football and Olympic lifting, but bought a Specialized Pitch Expert to save my knees.
    I loved it, so I joined this site, then stumbled onto "Bike Packing" which I can't stop thinking about.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, Thanks.
    Rick

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 12:00 RIDER View Post
    Brand new to the idea, but HAVE TO GET INVOLVED IN THIS!
    I know NO ONE who does anything like this and would love to hook up with a few people who I can learn the ropes from. I live in boring flat Illinois (Chicago).
    Also, does anyone offer any kind of Guide services where a newbie can pay someone to take them out ?
    I have a good amount of down time in winter, spring, and summer because I teach/coach HS football, so I have a lot of holidays etc.
    I used to run 1/2 marathons after playing college football and Olympic lifting, but bought a Specialized Pitch Expert to save my knees.
    I loved it, so I joined this site, then stumbled onto "Bike Packing" which I can't stop thinking about.
    ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, Thanks.
    Rick
    There's a decent opportunity for bikepacking in south central Indiana. If you get creative, you can put together some pretty decent off road routes (>100 miles if you want) combining parts of Brown County State Park, Yellowwood State Forest, and the Hoosier National Forest (Nebo Ridge, Combs Rd, Hickory Ridge, etc.) trail systems.

HMBA.org has more info on those trail systems if you're interested.

The national forest allows dispersed camping pretty much anywhere except close to water or roads. The state park has a couple campgrounds with facilities if that's more your style.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thx schoolie! I will look into this but like I said I am completely new to this, so I'm still trying to figure out how to set up my bike (!), meet people, and learn.
    I probably should learn how to change my tires before I go lol!!!

noob bikepacker
    Hey 12:00 RIDER! I am also a noob bikepacker from sorta-flat Ohio. Iahve been into camping and hiking all my life, but until about 3 years ago did not relaize you could do all of that...but on your bike!

Not to pull away from this site b/c it is awesome, but you should also check out these sites as well. I actually found out about them through here:

Bikepacking Routes, Gear, Inspiration - BIKEPACKING.com
    bikepacking.net
    singletracks forum

I have not had the time to do an actual trip yet, but have been doing some riding with packs on my bike and always try to ride my 20-30 mile weekend jaunt. If you have not really backwoods or wilderness camped, you might want to look into some of the gear from that world too. These sites will help with that side of things.

I hope to do my first trips this year during the first week of winter break, or next year over Spring Break (I am a teacher - Middle and high school band).

Welcome to it!!
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose (RIP)

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Hey 12:00 RIDER! I am also a noob bikepacker from sorta-flat Ohio. Iahve been into camping and hiking all my life, but until about 3 years ago did not relaize you could do all of that...but on your bike!

Not to pull away from this site b/c it is awesome, but you should also check out these sites as well. I actually found out about them through here:

Bikepacking Routes, Gear, Inspiration - BIKEPACKING.com
    bikepacking.net
    singletracks forum

I have not had the time to do an actual trip yet, but have been doing some riding with packs on my bike and always try to ride my 20-30 mile weekend jaunt. If you have not really backwoods or wilderness camped, you might want to look into some of the gear from that world too. These sites will help with that side of things.

I hope to do my first trips this year during the first week of winter break, or next year over Spring Break (I am a teacher - Middle and high school band).

Welcome to it!!
    Since you've got the list... I'll add one. Mind you, there are probably a lot more as well. You've found some of the best though.

Home - Bikepackers Magazine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234