Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I want to cycle from Ogden Utah to near San Bernadino, California this summer.

for virtually no money.

I am willing to suffer heaps to do this.

I just need to know where to start.

do I really need a tent? Or a sleeping bag? all that seems heavy.
    Ummm .... I would probably start in Ogden?
    No you don't need a tent you should have a bag/bivy for emergencies.
    Are you following the old Mormon trail? Old Spanish trail? Or just looking for a cool route?
    I dig dirt!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I want to cycle from Ogden Utah to near San Bernadino, California this summer.

do I really need a tent? Or a sleeping bag? all that seems heavy.
    Start a new thread on this and that way your answers won't get lost in this thread.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I'm in!

Love single track riding but also love the solitude of camping on the bike. Goal it to finish the Great Divide at a touring pace, 1 to 2 months. I'm in the Bay Area so if anyone wants to go bike camping, give me a PM.
    Last edited by VO2 Lax; 02-13-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: better intro

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Ummm .... I would probably start in Ogden?
    No you don't need a tent you should have a bag/bivy for emergencies.
    Are you following the old Mormon trail? Old Spanish trail? Or just looking for a cool route?
    Just want to get there on my rigid Soma Groove in the cheapest, not getting run over way possible! and also I'd like to have an adventure. and to know if this is feasible!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Start a new thread on this and that way your answers won't get lost in this thread.
    Okay will do.

Only dead people are old
    Eric from SE Washington here.

Thanks for the cool forum. I'm new to bike packing but have quickly developed a passion for it (when my can get away). Like others here I'm not so interested in the gear/geek aspect since there are tons of resources already out there. I am more interested in the adventure reporting with inspiring pics. I'm so amazed at the country out there that people are riding bikes on...totally motivates me to get out more. My own back yard is full of bike packing adventures, I'm just refining my gear and realizing I can do more with less...real experiences teach you well.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I'm Mathew, just moved to Florida about a year and a half ago and have been riding mountain bikes since mid-2009(after a 10+ year hiatus).

Really like riding regularly and got inspired by bikepacking threads here on mtbr to make some of my own adventures. I did my first bikepacking trip last fall and looking forward to another this spring. Doing these in Florida is the best way for me to make the trips feasible. The routes get creative

I'd like to see more bike packing reports and more routes. I'm glad theres now a place on mtbr to consolidate bikepacking reports as they were all over the place in a mix of regional forums, passion, and endurance racing forums.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi everybody!

My first post on the mtbr forums. I'm Tim I live in Tampa, FL. A friend and I started mountain biking a couple years ago as a progression from hiking. We got another friend into mtb-ing and have been inviting others so we are starting to build a group.

Recently we have been talking about doing a bikepacking trip. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it will probably be somewhere close. A long weekend trip to get a feel for it.

This is a great forum and I am glad I found this place.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'm Max, an East Bay, CA transplant in Virginia Beach, VA. I'm a daily bike commuter and ride trails quite often as well. I've done a few decent length (for me), remote, "adventure" rides on dirt roads. Never done any over nighters or multi-day tours of any sort, and have very little camping experience. I'm mostly a trail rider, but have recently gotten the itch to up my mileage and do some S240's and possibly some bike packing. Most of my trips that take place any time soon will be pretty tame compared to what many of you are doing, but they'll be a good start.

I'm just interested in bike set ups, gear tips and pretty pictures of people going somewhere far or perhaps not so far away via bicycle.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlycloudy View Post
    Hi everybody!

My first post on the mtbr forums. I'm Tim I live in Tampa, FL. A friend and I started mountain biking a couple years ago as a progression from hiking. We got another friend into mtb-ing and have been inviting others so we are starting to build a group.

Recently we have been talking about doing a bikepacking trip. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it will probably be somewhere close. A long weekend trip to get a feel for it.

This is a great forum and I am glad I found this place.
    The great news is that you have Ocala National Forest just a hop-skip-and a jump north of you. There's easily enough service road and singletrack mix for you to get a good feel on bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Ocala National Forest is where I have my eye on for our first trip. As soon as my riding buddy gets his new wheels we'll set a date, but it should be soon. Definitely before the summer heat sets in down here. Now off to see if there are any posts/reports on here about Ocala.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Do a search for Single Track Samarai and Naked Indian Chronicles for some inspiration in that(Ocala) area

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    wunnspeed (aka Michael Cleveland) ancient singlespeeder and misplaced American. I live in deep, dark Bavaria 15 minutes (by bike) from the base of the mountains. This year... I'm doing the TDR as my Red Ferrari for my 50th birthday.

I'm also trying to start a small pack building business while doing some reviews for one of the big 29'er sites, teaching ESL, being a house husband and running the Euro side of Big Wheel Racing (too many irons in the fire....).

I'm looking to learn from others, see gear and builds and get to know others around the world with similar interests.

mtbr member
    Want to learn ultra light bikepacking techniques! going to thru bike the Colorado trail with a friend this summer and would love to hear more experiences on that. combination of bike bags, backpack? tent/ sleeping bag ideas? tire choice? the whole 9 yards! thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looking for epic rides and breathless scenery. I would like to see bike reviews, pack and gear reviews, and routes and ride information. Nothing like a long weekend ride...

Fail again. Fail better.
    Hi Przemek here, from Poland, Europe.
    I came from backpacking like some of you here, but always enjoyed longish bicycle trips off the beaten track - combining these two seemed like the right thing to do.
    I hope for a chance to enjoy your rides with you trough your trip reports and learning some new bits on how to enjoy outdoors more with having less clutter.
    Currently enjoying Welsh mountains and moorlands but I'm starting miss my woodlands... and sunshine
    Thanks francois
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

Hermit
    Steve Z from northeast Ohio here. Done lots of backpacking and lots of mountainbiking - but just a little bit of bikepacking (so far). Hope to change that this summer.

I like the DIY ideas - handmade gear is great. I'm trying to gradually build up my gear collection to make those overnighters easier.

Also like info about routes. I'm working on a singletrack/bikepacking map for the Allegheny National Forest in PA, with help from other local riders. There is really very little info available for riders in the ANF - but the opportunities are certainly there. If anyone here is interested in that particular area I can get you copies of the working maps.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    trying to learn all the different styles this seems like a lot of fun

Spin-stabilized

Life happened...

I've been spending less and less time here on mtbr. I've stripped down my geared bikepacking bike and forced it into SS duty. It's been a while since I've tried to spread the bikepacking passion. I've all but completely lost my sense of adventure, then I saw this forum! Looks like the next bike is gonna be bikepacking-friendy.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome! I just noticed the addition of this forum now. I remember saying on these forums somewhere that a bikepacking forum would be awesome, and now there is one! Thank you very much for the addition.

To me, touring / randonneuring is a subset of bike expedition, so the forum is aptly named. I imagine this will be (or already is since I'm 2 months late to the party) a great source for information about preparation for various types of tours, information on what routes have been travelled and how they were, and ride stoke in the form of photos and stories from everyone's experiences out and about.

Excited!

For the record, I ride a Salsa Vaya with front and rear Salsa racks, Ortlieb panniers front and rear, and will probably add a BOB to the mix at some point (though just bought a doggy trailer that can do the same duty to an extent). Link in my sig! I have yet to do a multi-day ride on the bike I'm embarassed to admit (I had on my previous fixed gear, lol!). Looking forward to a couple 2-3 days rides this summer, nothing big planned for 2012 but that may change!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Ariolimax columbianus
    hi, been around mtbr for a bit. i live a bit south of santa cruz, ca, north of monterey, ca, pretty right smack dab in the middle of the monterey bay. grew up in the east bay and definitely did some hobo bikecamping as a teen in the diablo range. started short bike touring/bikecamping trips about five years ago because i love to ride from the door, lookin for mixed road/dirt routes, and just bein outside. also just really into cycling in general as transportation, utilitarian vehicles, and as an overall artform.

i've got a few setups at the moment, bikes, racks, bags....mix and match.....i love to geek out on stuff. been goin out solo in henry coe Henry W. Coe State Park (southern section) a lot just to test out my kit, fish, and camp. also been doin and wanna get into other and more local trips, stealth camping (safety in #'s, i guess, i'm scared), and exploring. summer's off soon cause i'm a teacher, definitely gonna get out on some multi-day trips. if anyone's around and wants to ride/camp lemme know.
    Last edited by nativeson; 04-14-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: add content

Urban AK
    Jan 2008

Roll Call Alaska

It has always been out and back for me in the past. These last couple years I have forced myself to really "enjoy the ride" ie stay overnight. I am just figuring out how to keep it light.

I am here to learn how to leave the Kitchen sink at home.

Bikepacking is true mountain biking!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    south central PA here....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi everyone,

I am new to bike packing but not backpacking in general. I have also been a mountain biker most of my life. I am excited to try some bike packing trips this summer. I ride a 2012 Salsa Fargo 2. I would like to include a picture of my setup but I do not have enough posts yet. I will edit this post with a picture of my bike soon. I made a few changes from the stock setup. I replaced the FSA crankset with a Shimano XT, and replaced the Thudbuster with a Easton seatpost and Brooks B17 narrow. I also have been running Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for commuting but have since reinstalled the stock Race Kings for bike packing. I went on a 80 mile gravel road ride last Saturday and it was great. Looking forward to exploring the forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    El Train here.
    I live in Livingston, Montana, just north of Yellowstone. Prime country for this type of travel, tons of dirt roads and forest service land. And no people.

Never bikepacked. But it is the next step for me. Mtn biker for 20+ years, just got into endurance racing two years ago. I always talked smack about bike touring, because I figured I wouldn't be able to rally and do jumps or whatever....but now I am older and don't care about any of that. I have done a lot of dual sport moto exploring around MT, so I have tons of routes already scoped out. And I backpacked a bunch when I was younger and have all that gear, though I haven't been backpacking in a long time since I like biking so much!
    A few years ago I did a 3 day 500 mile ultralight dual sport trip on an XR600 and it was one of the funner things I have ever done. I am over it with dirt bikes though and would love to the same thing with a mtn bike. I could easily carry the same stuff on a bike no problem.

I just want to be able to ride really far, sleep in the bushes, and ride some more in the morning. Repeat.

Trips I want to do include:
    Circumnavigating the Crazy Mtns. Should be a good starter shakedown cruise, two days.

Parts and eventually all of the CDT in Montana. Done a good portion of this on the moto over time. Pretty easy since it's local to me.

Gravelly Range Rd, in SW MT. One of the more impressive roads I have ever been on. A favorite on the moto.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    I just want to be able to ride really far, sleep in the bushes, and ride some more in the morning. Repeat.
    My feelings as well. Welcome to the forum.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast