Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Caveman
    Hi there,
    Eric Parsons, the guy who runs Revelate Designs.
    Nice job making the new forum, Hopefully it can inspire people to just get out more. From spending a night out and having to go to work the next morning, to thinking outside the box and planning new routes.

I think it would be great if there were more of a focus on experiences and trip reports. Every forum it seems is overly geeked out on gear these days. Sharing of knowledge is important of course but more riding and photos please...

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Alex from the UK here.

Long time bikepacker and Welsh Ride Thing entrant (1 and 3rd year) although I have been doing short tours on a bike for years.

My stag (bachelor) ride was the length of Wales over 4 days with the best man and good friend. In 2010 I an Cruz Missile bikepacked the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal (Tea Houses rock!) Last trip was across France to Belgium to the Euro Singlespeed champs

I love the kit and planning almost as much as the ride it's self...ask to see my spreadsheets

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member

Woo-Hooo! Bikepacking forum finally here!

I started bikepacking in Northern AZ when me and my SO at the time realized we didn't care all that much for the slow grind of backpacking. So we thought, why not our bikes? So I started singletracking and gravel grinding. I now like doing short mixed terrain touring trips.

I've always done it singlespeed but am putting 8 speeds on my mixed bike this spring since the low gear needed for steep dirt doesn't do so well on pavement

My first rig, 2007 SE Stout typical level of gear:

My current rig, Spot Brand Highline on an overloaded trip to T-ride Bluegrass:

≈ > ♥
    I'm looking forward to seeing some pretty inspiring trip reports, and seeing what other people are all running for setups.

I think there's potential here for this forum to show more passion than the Passion forum...

I'm your density
    Great idea on this thread, thanks.

Frank here from San Diego.

Llllooonnnggg time backpacker. Zero time bikepacker. Like others, I would love to do the divide.

Looking for places, ride reports, and discussion on bikepacking-specific gear.

finally got this forum started. yay! have long wanted to do some bikepacking, but haven't managed to pull it off yet. I almost managed a trip to AR last spring, but the weather halted those plans (I was not flexible enough to just move the trip).

I'll get one of these trips organized eventually. I have most of the gear - I would only need a couple of on-bike bags to spread the load a bit, but my gear is light enough I could probably make it with just a pack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Mike here, hope to learn about gear choices. My bike of choice is my rigid Rock Lobster 29er with a BOB Ibex trailer as needed.
    "Gunner" goes on some of my travels as well....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-float-tube-002.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-gunner-trailer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Family of three here in SE Utah.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    Mike here, hope to learn about gear choices. My bike of choice is my rigid Rock Lobster 29er with a BOB Ibex trailer as needed.
    "Gunner" goes on some of my travels as well....
    The only thing more awesome than your setup is your traveling companion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    The only thing more awesome than your setup is your traveling companion.
    +1
    That guy doesn't look like he likes it in there and I'm sure the pup is a running machine.

I have a GSP and his name is "Gunnar"

Woody

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am just a guy who loves riding and reading all about the great places and challenges you can do on a bike. I don't do any long multi day trips, but, man I love to read about it and dream of the day I have time to do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poconomtbiker View Post
    I am just a guy who loves riding and reading all about the great places and challenges you can do on a bike. I don't do any long multi day trips, but, man I love to read about it and dream of the day I have time to do it.
    Hopefully the thread gives you the drive to at least get out for a night or weekend!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i have backpacked some and enjoyed it. i am here for a few things.
    -where in my area could i do a bikepacking trip?
    -figure out how to do it on the cheap (no, that's too much. i mean really cheap)
    -read other people's adventure reports.

i don't like to spend a lot on gear, so i have made my own speer-type hammock, my own full catenary-cut tarp, a few good stoves, etc. i try to go lightweight and minimalist, while still getting a good night's sleep and having hot coffee in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Amen brother. I am getting the itch..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Justin from San Antonio, TX.

I'd like to see more details for beginners. I love camping and I am deeply addicted to biking. Mixing the two would be heaven but I want to do it right.

Also I need to know where near here I can do this kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hey, bivymasters, Mike of Mike and Moria here.

A little late, but...Thanks for the new boss-o place to hang out and swill! A round for the house on me.

Bikepacking reports seem to get lost in the ride report shuffle. Love to have a dedicated thread (sticky, ideally) to get right to the b-packing action. Even if just a link is posted, it's nice to have a handy compendium of reports.

Here's to report fodder!

mtbr member
    Howdy all,
    Andrew here from Colorado. I'm excited to see the new forum. I've gone from MYOG to MYOG plus make gear for sale. Bedrock bags and packs to be precise. I love the direction this part of two wheeled travel is going. It should be a fun ride.

Bedrock bags and packs

Last edited by greenwater; 02-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    I think it would be great if there were more of a focus on experiences and trip reports. Every forum it seems is overly geeked out on gear these days. Sharing of knowledge is important of course but more riding and photos please...
    Eric, I could not agree more. Thanks for posting that sentiment.

BTW, the front harness and pocket I got from you a couple years back have been front-line pieces for us. Used them multiple times on my single bike and now on our tandem. The way you designed the attachment straps works excellently on a double-crown fork (which could be serendipity, but who cares). Here's to good gear (and good service).

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,

I'm new to MTBR as a whole, spending more time in either the 650b or the VRC sections, mostly...

But the bike I'm planning to build, is going to be a 'heavy-duty tourer', that I'm intending on being a 'trail bike' and a camping bike, both.

Looking' forward to learning what I can here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Just came across this.......

Hi, Alan Melville here, I'm from Western Australia. I'm 51. I started the bike touring gig at the age of 15, I left West Oz and headed to Tasmania with my mate Steve, we survived on 100 bucks for 10 weeks, that was back some time ago as you can appreciate!!!! Since then I have ridden around Australia, (on a French track racing frame that I had to push 600KM because the dirt was too deep to ride on) New Zealand, North India, England. I have done a few remote area desert rides. I tow a BOB Ibex, converted to take an Endo, I have a Yak that also takes an Endo and I have an Ibex that is standard. I've riden a Specialized Epic, a Pugs and I'm now building up a bike simular to a Yuba. All have used a Rohloff hub. I carry fairly specialized gear such as a sat phone, a Panasonic Toughbook with internal GPS and 1:250 000 maps of Oz,, Garmin GPS, top end water purification gear, Personal Locating Beacon, 20 W solar panel and a 17 Ah battery to run everything. All my critical gear is top shelf as I use it across three disaplines, Hiking (latest was from Jirri to Everest Base Camp, where I camped, and return, carrying all my own gear and solo) Sea Kayaking (over the horizion gigs to ofshore islands) and bike touring, on and off road. I have made my share of mistakes and very nearly paid for them. (one of the more light hearted ones was sending all my wet weather gear home because in September, it never rains on the Nullarbor Plain.......spent 2 weeks sleeping in a soaking wet bag, sometimes in huge puddles....ah well.... ) I've been told to write a book.....too lazy....sorry....
    But am trying to write more about what I do.....starting tomorrow....

Because of the nature of my rides I don't travel light and since the first ride at 15, have nearly always traveled solo, which is not always a good thing as I don't get to recount trips to a partner afterwards.

What do I hope to get out of this forum, I like reading peoples stories, however small or large. I've never forgotten the thrill of planing and sometimes, executing, an adventure.

This year I'll be fairly quiet as I'm getting the coin together to go into semi retirement but next year I have a few 'little trips' planned..... woo hoo.

Thanks for getting this off the ground.

Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-al-laying-track-day-3-img_7196.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-al-computer-camp-day-5-img_7224.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Just "discovered" this new venue. YEAH! Thanks everybody for getting this long needed voice....

The longer the ride - the better the pain

A God Without A Name
    I want to cycle from Ogden Utah to near San Bernadino, California this summer.

for virtually no money.

I am willing to suffer heaps to do this.

I just need to know where to start.

do I really need a tent? Or a sleeping bag? all that seems heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi guys,

I'm Adam from Vancouver, Addy Marx on bikepacking.net. The North Shore is my backyard and Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton are my neighbours up the street. I really enjoy traveling with a bike (Taiwan, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, locally of course). I taught myself to use a sewing machine last summer and spend some of my spare time sewing bags for my bikes.

There are tonnes of resources for gear, and tire choices and sleeping pad R values and all that, which is important, but I personally would like to see people sharing route information on their locales and sharing their ride reports from their adventures. Answering questions and providing info to 'foreigners' who wish to venture away from their locales and see something new. Help make the logistical part easier.

Whether it be your first weekender in your local hood, the week long summer trip you've been planning since February, your AZT race report or your 4 month Mongolian Fatbike expedition, trips and route information with pics are inspiring.
    (my friend Sam takes cool pictures)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-chilcotins-creek-crossing.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-chilcotins-.jpg  

Welcome to the Bikepacking Forum - roll call-chilcotins-singletrack.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    info on travelling with gear around this world. see what differences there are. get any god plans on whre to go. ect

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Adam here from Sydney Australia...

Been riding forever, competed at national level in biketrials for eight years, now manager at City Bike Depot in Sydney and loving bikepacking and touring...

Check out my blog - A Therapy For Pain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast