mtbr member
    Nov 2010

This Weekend's Little Bikepacking Adventure

A friend and I started bikingpacking this fall and here is our latest adventure:

Forest Road 64

It's been a lot of fun as we've figured out what gear works best for what we are doing. If you look at the first couple blog entires you'll see I was trying use Ortlieb paniers. That didn't last long. ;-) Now I'm thinking about a hammock...

mtbr member
    Looks like a sweet trip. Those hammocks are pretty popular over here in Australia as well, I'd like to try one out. Keeps you off the ground away from some of the creepy crawlies.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Can't believe the FatBack kept up with you lot on Fargo's

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Always nice to see east coast trip reports, especially based in Harrisonburg! I sure miss living there...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Very nice! Iím originally from Philly and hiked the Shenandoah Valley as a youth with the Boy Scouts. But its been a LONG time since I camped back east. Thanks for the eye candy!

mtbr member
    Looks like a great trip, and a nice write up as well. I have to ask though....and I really don't mean to offend, but possibly educate. Have you ever heard of or researched practicing LNT (Leave No Trace) ethics? It just astounds me to see people building camp fires on an un-impacted camp site. Look into LNT, it is enlightening, and puts one more in touch with nature than they ever have been before, and really puts things into perspective. But, where you are succeeding more than most of the country, is in getting out there and doing it. Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Schott, no offense taken, but this was far from a wildness area. Where we camped had been clear cut in the not too distant past, the fire was in an established fire ring, and we burned dead wood. If in a more pristine area I certainly would not have had a fire. And I picked up some trash from along the road and hauled it out so I get bonus points for that, right! But seriously I do appreciate your comment.

Fat Bob, the guy on the Fatback is a machine. Trust me when I say him keeping up is usually not a problem. The only time he even struggles a very little bit is when we are rolling back on pavement at a pretty good pace.

And thanks for the positive comments. We are extremely lucky to have a bunch of spots like this in our back yard.

mtbr member
    Bonus points for sure.