mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Weekend trip: Beef Basin - Needles - Canyonlands NP. loop

With my family. Started and ended at the Cottonwood Canyon/Elk Ridge turn off in Indian Creek. Rode the good dirt road up towards the high country and Cathedral Butte, then took a seldom used path to Beef Basin. Camped and explored here before heading out through the Grabens/Bobby's Hole and eventually over Elephant Hill to the pavement in the Needles front country. Connected back to the car via 15 miles of highway 211.

All told some 85 miles with a good mix of scenic dirt roads and super techy jeep tracks.

Finding water in Beef Basin was the crux. Had there been none we would have suffered a bit. Summer here has been dry, and no early fall precip yet, so we were a bit concerned, but it worked out as shown in one of the pics.

Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 10-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Great Trip Report. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Beautiful country looks like you guys had a blast.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

weirdo
    Dang, the whole crew? That`s awesome!
    By mutual agreement, my wife only goes camping when we have the trunk of her car to tote everything!

mtbr member
    Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looks like a great time was had by all!

Thanks for sharing!
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sweetness! Going on my next bikepacking excursion this weekend. Next one, I'm hoping to bring my 12 year old son who is very into road bike these days. This gave me inspiration!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Good stuff, thanks for sharing. It's funny how happy one gets from drinking out of a cow trough

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Nice pics. Canyonlands is awesome.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Jan,

Thank you far sharing. I am doing my first bikepacking trip the end of this month and your pictures just got me more excited! The bag on the top tube of the Tallboy, who makes that and are you happy with it? That is what I need.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I love the photos, but I can't help but think, "What if they hadn't found water?" Was there a contingency plan if you couldn't find water?

Caveman
    Fantastic trip, thanks for posting. We were just out in Needles, such an amazing place.

mtbr member
    jan_nikolajsen,

Great photos! Looks like a fantastic trip. I love that loop. However, I'm not familiar with the "seldom used path" that you mentioned. Do you mind sharing some details on that. Also, you wouldn't happen to have UTM's on that cow trough would you?
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Last edited by greenwater; 10-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Jan,

Thank you far sharing. I am doing my first bikepacking trip the end of this month and your pictures just got me more excited! The bag on the top tube of the Tallboy, who makes that and are you happy with it? That is what I need.
    I made it myself..wasn't too hard but still took half a day and it doesn't hold much more than a 70 oz bladder or a few small tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I love the photos, but I can't help but think, "What if they hadn't found water?" Was there a contingency plan if you couldn't find water?
    My wife is a true desert rat who has roamed on foot in our general area here for many years, and she claims there's always some moisture to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwater View Post
    jan_nikolajsen,

Great photos! Looks like a fantastic trip. I love that loop. However, I'm not familiar with the "seldom used path" that you mentioned. Do you mind sharing some details on that. Also, you wouldn't happen to have UTM's on that cow trough would you?
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    We actually went around and checked 4 of the 6 springs we saw on our map of Beef Basin and they all provided a trickle of water. The one on the pic is Stanley Spring, the first water source one gets to as you drop down from Elk Ridge. The "seldom used path" is a prominently marked jeep road on the Latitude 40 map that's actually barely existing. It's the one supposedly accessing the also obscure Bright Angel Trail down to Salt Creek. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great job on the outing and thanks for the cool photos, jan. Good family fun

mtbr member
    Enjoyed the pics and report. Loved that you did this as a family trip.
    The older I get the better I was...