Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

water filtration

This topic may have been discussed before so forgive me if Im repeating things here but I am looking for a water filter/purifier and am looking for opinions. I want to be able to use it for long mountain bike races where potable water is most likely not available or may be scarce so I need something small, light and fast. I cant stop on the trailside for 4 hours waiting on a gravity filter to work for instance. Ideally I would like something I can use to pump water directly into a camelback or other hydration bladder and then keep going. My local REI suggested the MSR hyperflow. It gets mixed reviews online from what I see.some love it, some hate it. For reference I live in the southeastern United States and most likely most races I would be doing would be in that region so I am not really concerned with international water at this point.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: water filtration

Look into the Sawyer brand of 'squeeze' filters.
    Light, quick and can even be run inline with your Camelback hose.

I'm a big fan of them for bikepacking and backpacking.

mtbr member
    I use Pristine drops on my tours. As long as you aren't trying to filter chunks of crap out of the water they take care of all the bugs that could cause stomach upset. Just fill you bladder, mix two sets of drops in the lid of one of the bottles dump in the bladder and go. Takes about 15mins to be safe to drink. Lightweight, low cost and easy to use plus no pumping.

I have a MSR pump filter, but I haven't used it for years since I started using the pristine drops.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post

Yeah I was looking at those first but I have two concerns with them. First Im trying to fill at minimum a 70 oz bladder, possibly even a 100 oz, so I am thinking all that squeezing might get kind of tedious. Then at first I was intrigued with the inline filter concept but then I started thinking about what happens if that filter gets clogged or malfunctions in any way.now my water hose is clogged which would put a serious damper on things.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I use Pristine drops on my tours. As long as you aren't trying to filter chunks of crap out of the water they take care of all the bugs that could cause stomach upset. Just fill you bladder, mix two sets of drops in the lid of one of the bottles dump in the bladder and go. Takes about 15mins to be safe to drink. Lightweight, low cost and easy to use plus no pumping.

I have a MSR pump filter, but I haven't used it for years since I started using the pristine drops.
    Ok thanks. I'll take a look at those. I have the other kind of tablets from Katadyn as emergency backup but they say they take 4 hours to work. Was looking for something faster.

No Stranger to danger....
    Just filter it through your t-shirt or shoes, it works ok for Bear Grylls....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catsruletn View Post
    Ok thanks. I'll take a look at those. I have the other kind of tablets from Katadyn as emergency backup but they say they take 4 hours to work. Was looking for something faster.
    It takes a few minutes to let the drops mix together and 15 mins or so in your bladder. So my routine is stop immediately mix the drops then fill my water bottles. Take care of any other off the bike stuff and the add mixed drops to containers and get back to riding.

If you are riding in warm conditions you can take a big swig of water before you refill so that you don't need another drink for 15mins....although I rarely worry too much about that time limit if I collecting water from high quality sources.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think a Sawyer inline filter with drops as back-up would be a good set-up. If you felt it was necessary, you could always pack an extra hose and treat the water in your bladder with drops in case of a clog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So perhaps a stupid question but what do you do about the water around the top and the threads of the bladder (or bottle)? I am thinking if I scoop up water with the bladder and then put the drops in, isn't there going to be untreated water all around and in the threads etc that won't get treated? I guess I can mix the water and drops in a separate container and then pour into the bladder but I don't really want to have to carry two containers with me.

mtbr member
    So perhaps a stupid question but what do you do about the water around the top and the threads of the bladder (or bottle)? I am thinking if I scoop up water with the bladder and then put the drops in, isn't there going to be untreated water all around and in the threads etc that won't get treated? I guess I can mix the water and drops in a separate container and then pour into the bladder but I don't really want to have to carry two containers with me.
    Any water in the bladder or tube is in contact with Pristine. Any water in threads don't matter since they aren't inside the drinking reservoir.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any water in the bladder or tube is in contact with Pristine. Any water in threads don't matter since they aren't inside the drinking reservoir.
    Yeah I suppose so. I'm probably over thinking it.

mtbr member
    Yeah I suppose so. I'm probably over thinking it.
    Yup. If you are getting water from high quality sources it's really a low risk of having an issue even with untreated water.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

A guy on a bike Moderator
    In the USA, Aquamira drops have the same ingredients. Great stuff--used it for years. Just be aware that if the water is cold or cloudy, more drops and/or a longer dwell time is required.

I've only regretted using Aquamira once. I camped near some lakes that were experiencing some crazy algae bloom, probably due to runoff from a large herd of cattle in the area. A filter would have made for far nicer water!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    In the USA, Aquamira drops have the same ingredients. Great stuff--used it for years. Just be aware that if the water is cold or cloudy, more drops and/or a longer dwell time is required.

I've only regretted using Aquamira once. I camped near some lakes that were experiencing some crazy algae bloom, probably due to runoff from a large herd of cattle in the area. A filter would have made for far nicer water!
    +1 - anticipated water quality should factor into your decision of what to use to ensure safe and enjoyable drinking water.

I live and ride mostly in BC where I have access to high quality water sources. I take water from fast running cold creeks for the most part and because I know they are frequent I'll pass other more stagnant options up.

Like your experience I have very occasionally had to use water from a lake/pond with less ideal water, but those experiences didn't made me want to carry a filter and pump my water.

If I lived in AZ and was pulling water from gnarly cattle tanks I would probably equip myself differently.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think for the most part I will be getting it from moving water in creeks...not stagnant lake kind of stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post

I agree .......

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: water filtration

Yeah I was looking at those first but I have two concerns with them. First Im trying to fill at minimum a 70 oz bladder, possibly even a 100 oz, so I am thinking all that squeezing might get kind of tedious. Then at first I was intrigued with the inline filter concept but then I started thinking about what happens if that filter gets clogged or malfunctions in any way.now my water hose is clogged which would put a serious damper on things.

You'd be surprised how little effort is required to squeeze-filter your water. Really fast too.

If clogging is of a concern, bring the included syringe to back flush during your trip.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Ive been very happy with my Katadyn Hiker Pro(there is a smaller version, pocket), FWIW. I also like the fact that I'm not drinking a sterilized milkshake(drops and steripens).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Ive been very happy with my Katadyn Hiker Pro(there is a smaller version, pocket), FWIW. I also like the fact that I'm not drinking a sterilized milkshake(drops and steripens).
    The only issue with those filters is they do not remove viruses. They are just too small for most filters. But they are also much less common, so again it all depends on what kind of water sources you use. Personally, I have a Steripen and a Sawyer. I will take one or the other, depending on the trip. I also carry some Aquamira tablets as a backup.

Clueless Bastard

Another vote to try a Steripen...

Classic | SteriPEN

I used one of these in Nepal and Tibet where water sources were very suspect. I hauled mine around for 2 months, either in my pocket, in my pack or on the back of a yak. No problems.

Two downsides. One it needs lithium battery power. Two, the wand part is glass so you need to treat it accordingly. It has a snap on cover, but it's not indestructible.

Looks like they have a smaller newer model that will run on a smaller battery footprint.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I love my sawyer squeeze filter for bike packing. It doesn't take too long to squeeze out a couple of liters maybe a minute or 2. I don't use my filter inline, mostly because I like to add drink mix to my water, but it's also convenient to have the extra bladder to carry water if I want/need to. with my squeeze setup, I have a 1 gallon water capacity which is more than enough for most of what I do in CO.

For long day trips, I usually carry aqua mira drops. They take a bit longer, but they're simple, light, and don't affect the water taste.

I like my steripen, but it's kind of on the bulky side, and I worry about breaking it on my bike so I usually use it for hiking and paddling adventures.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

water filtration

If I lived in AZ and was pulling water from gnarly cattle tanks I would probably equip myself differently.
    Ok so this is actually the scenario I most often find myself in. To date I have carried all my water in a vast little traveled area I have been doing overnighters in. I have been mapping active cattle tanks with the hope that in the future I can reduce weight by filling up along the way.

But you are correct - some if those sources are pretty nasty. So for cattle tank water (many have both algae and fecal dust settling into it) what do people recommend to get safe drinking water from these sources? I'm too old to learn what doesn't work the hard way...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    One tip, if you have the time to wait for the purifying drops to work (I do this when backpacking), is to fill your container as full as possible and leave the lid on loosely, so that it stays on, but leaks. After the required time has elapsed, invert the container and let the purified water leak out a bit. This should flush the lid and threads clean.

I also use a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, when I have plenty of time, which is usually the case when backpacking or bike touring. I like the filter for when I'm hiking along a glacial fed river. I don't want to drink the glacial silt. Purification drops or tabs don't take care of that.

mtbr member
    Second for Katadyn Hiker Pro. To keep the filter from clogging prematurely, I wrap the input with a coffee filter. I carry 1-2 with me and they weigh nothing. This first pass removes solids and silt and keeps it from hitting the real filter.

Plus the unit itself is very small and light.

If I'm worried even after filtration, I will still use Aqua Mira and wait. Better safe than sorry!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

What day are we riding?
    Another SteriPen user. I have also used jersey, etc to pre-filter crap out before using the SteriPen. Fast treatment. They also have models out now that run on AA batteries which I will switch to when my current one dies.

Pack Aquamira tablets for backup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast