mtbr member

Virginia bikepackng routes?

Anyone have any bikepacking routes they've done in Virginia? I know that the Virginia north to south trail is in the works but qnyone have anything else? GPS files?

Beachside
    Jun 2012
    I biked the entire C&O canal from Georgetown DC to Cumberland Md. I was 14 at the time but I'll never forget it!

another bozo on the bus
    I just got back from doing the GAP Trail and C&O last week. Fun and pretty tough in the winter. I was a part of the VaMTBT expedition 2 years ago. Lots of good sections along that route. What exactly are you looking to do in Va if nothing along the 480 miles of that doesn't interest you?

mtbr member
    Wahedup...I got some good replies in the regional forum. In fact you may have made soem recommendations. I absolutely looking out that way and parts of the VaMTB trail will be part of it. Initially I'll go with what I know which is Southern Traverse, Braley and that area and build from there. I'm still building and buying gear. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you looking to do multiday trips or overnighters? We've done several overnight trips out of the Harrisonburg area and as soon as it warms up a bit we'll start doing some multi-day trips. All kinds of great stuff in the national forest.

mtbr member
    Aerotug.. Yes on overnighters and yes on multiday. Still sorting gear out and will do some local overnighters to test the setup before heading to the hills. My focus is GW and areas like that. The first one will probably be like I said above...around the Southern Traverse area since I know it. After that who knows. Thanks for the Harrisonburg tip. That whole area has a lot of potential including WV.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cool. Maybe we will see you out there soon. Check out our blog to see some of the places we have camped:

Playing Outside in the Shenandoah Valley