mtbr member
    Jan 2010

US Great Divide '12 snowpack/start date

Looking specifically for advice/info on the US portion of the route.

McCoy/ACA's Cycling the Great Divide states mid-July as a common start date (from Banff) to avoid much snow travel. I'm wondering how this weak winter might advance a potential start date at Roosvile. Any advice about the higher passes (or wherever snow is prone to accumulate and affect trail travel) in the more northern part of the trail is greatly appreciated.

Mike

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Looking specifically for advice/info on the US portion of the route.

McCoy/ACA's Cycling the Great Divide states mid-July as a common start date (from Banff) to avoid much snow travel. I'm wondering how this weak winter might advance a potential start date at Roosvile. Any advice about the higher passes (or wherever snow is prone to accumulate and affect trail travel) in the more northern part of the trail is greatly appreciated.

Mike
    In a "normal" snow year the snow-affected sections are minimal by ~3rd week of June. Maybe a mile or so of schlepping the bike north of Whitefish, and another mile, maybe two above Seeley Lake. That's about it.

And while the winter has been thin in many places, I don't know that I'd automatically assume that the route will be open much/any sooner as a result. Localized snowpack can be heavier than "normal"--it is in my neighborhood right now. Do some digging/asking in the regional forums and you might be able to get a much more specific answer.

Good luck,

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That's greatly appreciated advice, MC.

Cheers,

Mike (Oh)