mtbr member
    May 2012

Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting

Uncommon Ground TV

How many of you use your bikes for elk hunting?

Bill

Slothful dirt hippie
    I've run into a couple guys using bikes for recon and Bob trailers for hauling out meat. Makes sense.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member

Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting

Very cool, I have been very lucky the last few seasons and I was able to get a four wheeler to 2 out of the 3 elk I shot, the 1 not even a mountain bike would have helped me

mtbr member
    Cool vid.

So far, it's been all backpacks for my crew. Of the 5 elk that I have shot, only the most recent one, last year, was in a spot where we could have hauled it almost 100% of the way with a bike. I do believe I thought about it while packing it out. All the other ones were in spots where a bike would have simply added another 30lbs of dead weight.

I've never bow hunted but I could see it working a bit better during bow season, with it being a bit warmer and less chance for snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i got all kinds of pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting-skitwitch-2011-007res.jpg  

Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting-skitwitch-2011-008res.jpg  

Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting-bikebull1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bull from 2007
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting-img_1271res.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's great. Thanks for sharing. Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm really not trying to start or insinuate anything, but what do you do with the rest of the Elk? Just wondering, I've never hunted Elk before.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kent-the-hammer View Post
    I'm really not trying to start or insinuate anything, but what do you do with the rest of the Elk? Just wondering, I've never hunted Elk before.
    The meat is saved and consumed. The head/antlers and hide are hauled out also. The skeleton and intestines are usually left behind. Depending on the state there are strick regulations regarding what can be left behind. Tim's photos are of just one trip out with the head and the hide it looks like. It takes about 4 round trips to haul out a mature bull elk out via back pack. Probably at least 2 or 3 with a bike trailer.
    Bill

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by kent-the-hammer View Post
    Elk are BIG animals, so unless you've got a lot of buddies working on it with you or have a bunch of pack horses lined up it's typically going to take multiple trips to get it all out.

Because I've lived in rural Wa. state most of my life, we get friends bringing us bits of what they've hunted. Venison can be hit or miss depending on what it's been eating and how the carcass was handled, not a fan of waterfowl, wild boar was great although radically different than any pork chop you get in the store, grouse is a bit dry if cooked improperly but when done right consistently good, rabbit and snowshoe hare also very good when cooked properly... but elk is easily the BEST meat I've ever eaten. It's a continual mystery to me why folks even bothered with cattle out west.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    big bull 5 trips; cow or spike elk 3 trips. I am a solo hunter I very rarely have guys help pack.
    My wife typically rides my ass until i fill the freezer. She loves the organic,high in protein meat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    uncommon ground
    are you guys packing in or setting up camp on the road and than going in?

The vid looks like high desert hunting, generally what states are you hunting in?