mtbr member

Tubeless 29 Tires for CT Bikepacking?

I have built up a 2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2 for bikepacking the Colorado Trail this summer. I'm looking for suggestions for what tubeless 29s would be best.

The El Mar comes with Stan's BST rims, which I've heard works with most UST tires. However, most of the suggestions for tires I see on the forum (like the Conti X-Trail) don't have tubeless 29 options.

Thanks!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouster View Post
    I have built up a 2013 Salsa El Mariachi 2 for bikepacking the Colorado Trail this summer. I'm looking for suggestions for what tubeless 29s would be best.

The El Mar comes with Stan's BST rims, which I've heard works with most UST tires. However, most of the suggestions for tires I see on the forum (like the Conti X-Trail) don't have tubeless 29 options.

Thanks!
    Stans rims work well with tubeless ready tires like Bontrager's TLR, Maxxis TR, Schwalbe Tubeless Ready, etc…

UST tires don't fit Stans rims.

If I were you I'd look at something like the Bontrager XR-3 in a 2.2 for the CTR.

Good luck,

MC

mtbr member
    Thanks. Although Stans claims UST tires fit:
    NoTubes Recommended Tires

I've heard the fit isn't ideal.

Turns out that they work well with normal tires as well. I put some sealant inside the stock Conti Trail Kings and they're fine. I've read the Conti Trail and MTN King protection have strong sidewalls for those sharp CT rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I run Maxxis CrossMark LUST tires on my Stan's Crest rims with no problem. I was told (later) that Maxxis and Stan's don't typically play well with each other, but I have had 0 problems - either mounting (with a floor pump) or performance. They were take-offs with barely any wear and on clearance from my LBS. At $20 a pop, I couldn't pass it up. They replaced very slow rolling Kenda Nevegals.

I can't speak to the long term durability of the tires though. I was just responding to the compatability with UST or other tire types and Stan's rims. But it is a fast rolling tire!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I run Maxxis Ardent LUST 2.25's on i9 torch enduro wheels. So far I've had no issues with either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I toured the Colorado Trail summer of 2012 with a 2.4" Ardent up front and a 2.2" Ikon on the rear both tubeless on Arch EX's. No issues until the very last day where I tore the sidewall on the rear going down the talus section just beyond Kennebec. Not a detriment of the tires just that section is gnarly sharp rocks that would've torn pretty much any tire.

I've been using 2.2" and 2.35" Ikons (front and rear) exclusively since, not a single issue.

mtbr member
    The Talus past Kennebec is definitely rough. We usually take the Durango shuttle up to there a few times a summer. Fun ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ardent 2.4 front and rear.