mtbr member
    Aug 2013

tube or tubeless, for on/off pavement question

I have settled in with Renegade 1.8" 2Bliss

Currently using tubes as I have not set up this bike, which I purchased new this summer, tube-less via Stan's yet.

I like about 40-45 psi on pavement (obviously less off). 45psi is the rec. max psi amount for Stans.

So I am on the edge (tube less) which leads to my question to you all.

I don't suspect I will hit anything hard enough off road where a tube may help protect a rim plus, my rims are beefy, double wall, 32 heavy gauge spoke, bike pack tour wheels.

I am 5'9" 175#'s

I use this bike all purpose from local utility to bike packing, all weather with in reason (not just a fair weather bike'r) and live in a true four season habitat.

Tube or tube-less for this one ?

Thanks
    Enjoy the outdoors.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I found that when I converted my 40mm Schwalbe Mondials to tubeless that I ended up running lower pressures.

- DSCF1446

I used to run 35-40 psi and after dropped to 27f/30r and that is on or off pavement. I found the tires rolled faster that with tubes and I found no need to go much above 30psi even on long pavement rides. I don't do any bike packing currently but do mixed pavement/gravel/dirt rides. I am about your weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    6' 160ish and race the Renegade 1.8s all summer. Tubeless; 25psi off-road; probably closer to 30psi on-road or gravel. Great tires and no problems. Definately go tubeless.

My only caveat: If you have the s-works version the sidewall can rip or tear easy. Be careful. I run the "control" version with beefier sidewalls and have no problems in all conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    4Crawler - thanks

Iowagriz - They are the Control series not the S Works.

I guess my concern is increased rolling resistance on pavement, not being able to inflate to say 50ish psi if I want . Yet, it seems for both of you, little if anything was loss, correct?
    My other concern is burps yet, this is a fire-forest service, gravel-dirt road, town utility, bike pack = bike and not a XC single track bike. I don't foresee and hard impacts which may cause a burb like single track. A Stan's conversion kit would be used.

FWIW- My Origin 8 / Black Ops Fork arrived today, as I type this also.

I have tried several tires on this bike and Really liked the Renegade Control 1.8".

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, it goes against the normal grain of thinking (higher pressures on firm surfaces), but the lower pressure really do not negatively affect the rolling resistance. An article that I read explained it in this manner.....instead of high pressure and bouncing off rocks, your lower pressure tire will conform to the irregular surfaces.

As for burps, I rarely have a problem, even then, I only lose a small amount of air and continue on without a problem. Start with 1.5x the suggested Stans (to ensure tight bead seal) and 30psi. You'll enjoy the ride and wonder why you didn't do it prior.

mtbr member
    I'm rolling on dirt and asphalt roads with bruce gordon tires set up tubless at 35 psi. They roll really well on the asphalt.