mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Trip Report - Overnight in Pisgah, NC

I've wanted to get out for an overnight for a long time and somehow the stars aligned and I (and two of my brothers) finally got out. I've done a lot of backpacking and camping in the past, but this was a whole new kinda fun. I can't wait to go again.

These trails are all part of Sjanes Pisgah Traverse route (with the exception of a 3mi detour to where we camped). I've ridden in this area a lot and have scoped out a number of overnight options.

Our kit was a run-what-ya-brung deal and we used what we had laying around. That said, the only things I might add would be a lightweight tarptent if the weather was bad (I like the Golite SL3) and a Pika seatbag to move a few bulky and smaller heavy items out of my Talon 11. Maybe a gas tank or feedbag for bars, trail mix, etc. On my bike were tubes, bottles and an OR stuff sack on the bars with a BA pad and 45degree bag. Here's a few pics:

Gearing up

Some steep asphalt

Some good drag-a-bike

Typical trail heading up

Smooth sailing for a little

Racing the sun

Whew, barely made it..

Enjoying the extra weight we drug up the mountain

Lots of noodles were consumed

Wake up!

Kinda cramped digs

Gu flavored coffee anyone?

View before heading down

Mt Mitchell in the upper right

Pisgah singletrack

Cheesiest
    Nice write-up! Looks like a great trip.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Great pictures!

GU flavored coffee...nice.

Matt
    I should be out riding....

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Looks like an awesome time.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great pics and report. That was the same um, "weight", that we dragged along on our first bikepacking trip. Tasted so good at the end of the day. Gotta get to Pisgah one day. Thanks for sharing.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great pictures, looks like a fun trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Pisgah is always fun

Any trip in Pisgah is a good time. Looks like ya'll traveled quite light and even have room for the "extra weight". Glad you were able to get out with your brothers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amickDoubleA View Post
    Any trip in Pisgah is a good time. Looks like ya'll traveled quite light and even have room for the "extra weight". Glad you were able to get out with your brothers.
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, we were able to skip shelter and warm clothes given the weather. It was 105 when we started riding. With a seat bag my load would be better distributed and I'd have room for more clothes and a minimal tent. Riding the ~ 8 mi back to the car in the morning without 3l of water, 2 cans of beer, 8oz of Southern Comfort, 2 cliff bars and a bag of trail mix all on my back was a drastic difference!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    This is an awesome report...

...very well planned and documented. Thanks so much for posting, great to see all the fun! Liking the hammocks!